The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your #1 compressor when mixing bass! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

160VU vs. 165?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier777c
I suppose it depends on the source, but my personal favorite is the 160 VU, more times than not.
I've heard a few people cite the 160VU as a favorite and in other posts say that the 165 has the same guts as a 160VU but a bit more controllable...anyone go for the 165 on bass over the 160? And if not, why... other than not having one

-a

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Guru

the best bass compressor on the planet, bar none: 456 @ 15ips.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
True that.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I have three units I really love. For tracking I almost always use a Focusrite red 3. It just has a really clean sound that doesnt sound colored. For mixing I will use a Distressor or a DBX 160vu. Those two are just awsome for mixing bass. The Distressor just makes your bass sound huge. I will usually use the distortion 3 on it, as this feature will make your bass cut through the mix. The 160vu also makes your bass sound huge. This one I use as kind of a brick wall compressor.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

What would you use for giving your bass some Mojo for under $500. I think that for the dynamic control there are a lot of options, even a RNC will do the work, but for caracter what options are there in the low cost scenario?
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Chao_Chao
What would you use for giving your bass some Mojo for under $500. I think that for the dynamic control there are a lot of options, even a RNC will do the work, but for caracter what options are there in the low cost scenario?
You can get a DBX 160x for around $250 US. (used)
If you get a new one it will be around $350
A cool little compressor with alot of character is a DBX163. That will run you around $50 bucks, Trust me, don't let the price fool you!
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvdr76
You can get a DBX 160x for around $250 US. (used)
If you get a new one it will be around $350
A cool little compressor with alot of character is a DBX163. That will run you around $50 bucks, Trust me, don't let the price fool you!
Really? I though the dbx163 was pretty useless! Maybe it´s what I´m looking for. My bass tracks always end up a bit flat and dead for me. I don´t know if I should start somewhere else...I tried diferent mics (421, 112,57), different basses ( fender, musicman) different preamps (Sytek, Spl, tlaudio) and, for rock mixes, I end up eq the hell out of it. I don´t like sansamp that much. For the dynamic control i use a 1968, RNC or plugins but I was looking for mojo!
So I can trust on a 163 for that? By the way, is it 163 or 163x? Is there a difference?
Thanks
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Try splitting your signal. You can use the 163 for your second ch. and squash it, then just blend it with your other track and you'll get that Mojo that you seek.

P.S. I have a 163X and a 163A. Pretty much the same sound.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvdr76
Try splitting your signal. You can use the 163 for your second ch. and squash it, then just blend it with your other track and you'll get that Mojo that you seek.

P.S. I have a 163X and a 163A. Pretty much the same sound.
Thanks for the tip. These Dbx names confuse me. So now there are 3 different 163! I saw a 163x and a 163. You have a 163A...

Here´s one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DBX-163-Compress...QQcmdZViewItem

Here´s another:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DBX-Compressore-...QQcmdZViewItem

Do you think they all sound alike?
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

I have the 163X and 163A. Never really heard the 163 but I think they should sound the same.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

The 163? Really? Mojo? As a long-time dbx user, I always thought the 163 was the bastard son of David Blackmer Electronics. Sort of the "Soldier777c's Avatar" of dbx.

Must be a bass-player thang that I wouldn't understand.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Depending on the sound I'm after:

Atomic Squeeze Box
LA2A
DBX165
Neve 32264a

wolfgang
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Nut

All the bassist I record love the Demeter VTCL-2a, its always my first choice...

Synthi
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Federal AM864/U
Old 6th June 2006
Led
Lives for gear

Yep, the Federals are good - I got 2 of em. Good in parallel. Depending on the transformers you have they can have a bottom end rolloff.
Old 8th June 2006
Compressor for Bass

STC-8 for clean, Fatso for...fat.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Call me predictable- 160 or 2254 depending on vibe
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

When visiting other studios, if they've got one in the rack I'm always happy to reach for a TubeTech CL1B. In my place it's usually the dbx 165A.

In either case these days it's always in parallel w/ uncompressed bass.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

For me it's a race against boredom. So it's usually parallel clean with whatever disaster I've faded inheh. Last one was through a TG1 - Ch1 with the THD on and cranked into channel 2 compressed hard. It was a mess but sounded pretty cool in the end. The kick was a bit of a bitch after thoughheh
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear
1176 BLUE STRIPE

Can't believe no one mentioned it, but the 1176 Blue Stripe is the BOMB for electric bass if you want attitude and punch. The thing is just amazing to me when I've been lucky enough to have one around. You can even have a wimpy sounding bass track, and insert the Blue Stripe monster on that channel and WHAM -- the sound is thumping, in-your-face LOUD, and growling!

I have a re-issue 1176 black, and frankly there's no comparison to the Blue Stripe for this purpose. The re-issue is clinical, transparent, and soft; whereas the Blue Stripe is ALL ATTITUDE which is the kind of bass sound I like!

Hope to get one soon, but they are hard to find. Haven't tried a distressor yet, but I doubt it will compete with the Blue Stripe.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691
Can't believe no one mentioned it, but the 1176 Blue Stripe is the BOMB for electric bass if you want attitude and punch. The thing is just amazing to me when I've been lucky enough to have one around. You can even have a wimpy sounding bass track, and insert the Blue Stripe monster on that channel and WHAM -- the sound is thumping, in-your-face LOUD, and growling!

I have a re-issue 1176 black, and frankly there's no comparison to the Blue Stripe for this purpose. The re-issue is clinical, transparent, and soft; whereas the Blue Stripe is ALL ATTITUDE which is the kind of bass sound I like!

Hope to get one soon, but they are hard to find. Haven't tried a distressor yet, but I doubt it will compete with the Blue Stripe.
I second that. They're pretty noisy, being that they were PRE 1176 LN (less noise) but they are funky and fun. I once worked in a studio that had every generation of 1176: Pair of Blue-Stripe Universal 1176, pair of black Urei 1176LN, pair silver Urei 1176LN, and an 1178. We also had LA-3As and LA-4s. So we didn't get around to thiose blue-stripes every day, but when we did is was often for bass.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear
Yeah, the Blue Sripe is noisy indeed, but for electric bass who cares ? Rock & Roll is supposed to be NOISY!

For jazz bass the Blue Stripe is way over the top. But for slammin, in-your-face, attitudinal ROCK, METAL, or GRINDCORE it's the absolute bomb.

If you want that bass track to stand out and smack you in the mix, definitely try out one of these working up to specs!
Old 13th September 2006
Lives for gear

Blackface 1176 LN at the moment but i used to use a PYE military grade wierd thing that sounded unbelievable. Anyone com across one these before?
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

The last 2 mixes I did :

Buzz Soc and Amek 9098 C/L

Both worked in that particular mix.

Two others I'll consider in the process : Drawmer 1960 or DBX 160

Kinda depends on how I feel that particular day I guess. Or what I have left over or have allready used up on other stuff.

I definately need more outboard compressors ... like another 5 or so from each I allready have.
Old 14th September 2006
For electric bass:

LN1176 in the past...

STA (modified!!) now!!!!!

BTW, Thrill you were right, STA sounds amazing on vocals too, thanks for the tips on the release mod.

Best regards.

Armando Avila
www.cosmosproducciones.com
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

When I was interning at a studio I fiddled around with their gear and found the Valley People Gain Brain II was a natural choice for bass. It was so easy to get the unit to make the bass sound tight/compact/focused/growling/delicious, even if the source recording isn't that great. It's easy to dial in the "sweet spot" with the controls and once its there it seem to know by itself just how much to compress without killing the dynamics of the playing.

They had a 1178 and a ADL1500 but I never could get them to sound that way. So call it the "right tool for the right job" or "noob friendly", but it is the ONE piece of "vintage" gear that I would gladly purchase even now....
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

Distressor
DBX 165(used it but don't have it)
Pro VLA
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

Federal 864/u
1176LN
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k View Post

gregoire
del ubik
One of the best parts of tape is putting the bass into the red the whole time. Other than that, distressor, 1176 (old one kicks the reissues ass on bass), LA3A, daking all work well, for a more utilitarian leveling, 160x/xt or VU for a specific sound for that matter. Somebody mentioned the 525. I need to try that again. The super fast attack gets on my nerves so I don't give it a chance. I tend to like the LA3A and 160 VU on fingered bass mainly because they both enhance the attack. For picked bass, 1176, daking because they can control attack for anything distressor because it can do a lot of things, 160x/xt because they level things in non artifacty way though they make things sound smaller (which sometimes is a good thing). I haven't test driven the Roll 755 on bass much - the one time I tried it, it seemed to have a benign but maybe kinda bland vibe for bass, probably cooler than the dbx's when set right but usuall they roll isn't free for bass.
Old 14th September 2006
Rep
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
What is your go-to compressor when mixing bass?
DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com

For My liking / taste = Nothing

For Lightly or averaging Material, = 737

for Max squish, = STC-8

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search