The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ssl axiom+ or DM-2000 !!what to choose!!
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

ssl axiom+ or DM-2000 !!what to choose!!

hi folks,

the ssl axiom+ (24 dual channels + master + patch + RIO etc....)
is still for sale on ebay.
i'm gonna take a look (and listen)on sight saterday....
but i want your opinions :
my planned upgrade (from 02R setup now) was a DM-2000
a used dm-2000 with all cards needed goes for about 16.000€ on ebay

now it seems i can have a SSL Axiom+ for about the same money ....

what should i do
yamaha = 24bit, 96khz, 24 ch analog + 24 ch digital (cards), daw control, easy soft...

axiom =20bit, 48khz, 48ch analog / 96 ch digital, big look/name upgrade, difficult ?

what other things i forget ?? maintenance, power consumtion, heat ?, need for other expensive ssl stuff, ...

So please help me out here,

do i buy the ssl axiom right now, or do i wait and look for a good dm-2000

thanks guys,
i'm really breaking my head (and my bank)

i can off course stick to stuff itb, and monitor it through my 02R
but that's not very slutty .....
Attached Thumbnails
ssl axiom+  or  DM-2000 !!what to choose!!-11_1_b.jpg  
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

IMO DM2000s are completely overrated. one of the rooms i use (and like acoustically) has one so i use it a lot. the dynamics are bad and what you hear does not match the GUI. the eq, if you use filters, becomes a 2 band eq. the resolution of the encoders sucks and makes panning automation a total PITA. i think the pres/conversion are quite good though, clear and detailed. does the SSL have mic pres?
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

What clients do you have? Will your studio attrack more clients by installing the SSL Axiom?

You could also go for a DM1000 + SSL Duende + some really nice outboard?

IMO the SSL is only a big WOW faktor! I'm not familiar with the desk but like others said, the sound and interface aren't steller either?
Old 18th May 2006
Captain

If you buy the Axiom , I gotta tell you that you will hate the thing...........it might seem apealing at first cos its SSL and cheap , but there is a reason why everyone got rid of theirs ,including us. It's a nightmare to work on and the dynamics and eq are NOT good.
Sad but true.(it would make a great boat anchor tho')
Peace shipshape
Old 18th May 2006
If you are using a DAW, the Yamaha will be a joy to use with PT or Nuendo as a controller. The scribble strips are very nice to have. With the updated version 2 software, the Yamaha is a lot more apealing. They even have upgraded effects that you can get. The updated compressors, reverb and EQ are all worth getting. I agree that the basic effects are only ok, but the new effects bring it up to 2006.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

thanx folks,

nobody says "buy that thing"
so i guess i'll hold on a bit longer,
invest in liveroom and pres,
then get dm2000 or similar.

it would have looked good on the pics page of our website though

grtz,

www.tinpanalley.be
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Just in terms of ergonomics, DM2000s are so much nicer to use than 02Rs. I can't quite explain why, just a number of things that add up to more than the sum of the parts. DAW control is great for basic transport and mixing functions. They make a fine and flexible desk for tracking.

Mixing-wise though- depending on your setup- you may well be better off upgrading your cpu/dsp power and sticking with ITB. The processing on the Yamaha's is useable and decent, but nothing I'd rather use over some nice plugins. It really depends what you want the upgrade for.
Old 20th November 2006
Here for the gear

YES AXIOM

AXIOM AND AXIOM MT USERS WORLDWIDE: 8:26 15/11/2006
-----------------------------------

StarCity Recording Purchases SSL Axiom MT

Jun 2, 2006 4:56 PM

StarCity Recording Company in Bethlehem, Pa.,
expanded its facility with a custom-designed SSL Axiom MT digital multitrack console.
The MT is designed specifically for multitrack recording, overdub and mixing applications.

Glixman traveled to Europe to “test drive” the AXIOM, previously owned by producer Mutt Lange,
who used the console to record Shania Twain’s recent double-album. “The EQ sounds incredible,
the compressors do everything I want them to do and the flexibility
of this desk is just amazing,” Glixman enthuses. “I’m knocked out with the sound of it.”
For more information, visit www.solid-state-logic.com and www.starcityrecording.com.

Solid State Logic Features Axiom-MT Digital Multi-Track Console at AES

SSL’s attention to the needs of today’s top engineers, such as Chuck Ainlay,
Derek Bason, Bob Bullock, Dana Jon Chappelle, Humberto Gatica, Dan Gellert,
Eddie Kramer, Justin Niebank and Bruce Swedien have made the MT the digital console
of choice for sonic clarity, system flexibility and reliability. At the AES,
the best is now even better with significant hardware and software enhancements,
responding to the requests of the industry.

More than 40 Axiom-MTs have been sold worldwide, including Skip Saylor Recording
in Los Angeles, Kampo Recording, Quad and Avatar in New York,
Backstage Studio at Soundstage in Nashville, Mega Studios and Blue Sound in Paris,
and MG Sound in Vienna. The Axiom-MT has also been installed in four trucks:
Sheffield Remote Recordings in Phoenix, MD, Manor Mobile in the UK, and Le Voyageur
and Euromedia in Paris.

For more information, visit their web site at www.solid-state-logic.com.

FILENAME: /var/www/im0/htdocs/109AES/Content/SSL/PR/XML/Axiom-MT

Part of that revamp involved contracting John Storyk to design Studio C,
to get the job done right, Abrash says. The control room saw the early '99 installation
of an SSL Axiom digital console, a move Abrash admits was a calculated gamble but has
since paid off. I wanted to put something that was going to not only be current, but was
also going to be future-ready as well, he says. We've had 100 percent success with the Axiom.
Our installation went off without a hitch, and we've had nothing but positive feedback from
the engineers who have sessioned on the board, including Bruce Swedien,
Eddie Kramer and Ray Bardini.

Unlike many of the digital boards out there, the Axiom is very user-friendly, Abrash continues,
especially because it so closely resembles the hugely successful J Series console.
That was a significant factor. I knew I wanted to go digital and provide
the best possible fidelity for mixing projects off of Pro Tools and other
high-quality source machines.

After installing the 96-input Axiom into the same space where he previously had a 40-input SSL E Series,
Abrash began to market Kampo's surround capabilities. Studio C is very unique in New York,
because it's a surround-ready room. There's nothing you've got to plug in or patch or anything.
I've got everything from the monitor systems to the mixdown machine [Tascam DA-78, 24-bit 8-track].
One of the more exciting projects to make use of the 5.1 capabilities was the remixing of Jimi Hendrix's
Isle of Wight performance for DVD. Eddie Kramer did some amazing things manipulating those old tapes
to provide a rich, real-sounding concert experience. It was a thrill to witness him pull out that
classic Hendrix sound, the Eddie Kramer sound.

“We were aware of SSL’s audio quality because Ubisoft’s Canadian sound studio,
based in Montreal, is running an Axiom MT and we were previously mixing in top class SSL facilities
such as Guillaume Tell and Mega Studio in Paris.” says Vernimmen. “When we started looking at consoles,
our choice criteria included stunning sound quality, 5.1 capability in both
music and sync-to-picture sessions, extremely user friendly interface and design,
an ability to deal with our hectic multiple-projects-in-a-day production rhythm and
great after-sales support. It seemed to us that the Axiom mixing console fitted all our criteria and
therefore offered the best solution for our needs.”

Dutasta adds: “We are really pleased with our new console. LudiFactory’s aim is to give the video games market the best sound experience possible and the SSL Axiom is fully part of that goal. It doesn’t sound ‘digital’; it sounds amazing, and we are very reassured by SSL’s reputation for quality after-sales support.”

LudiFactory is currently working on Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon-Advanced Warfighter™. Other recent projects have included Ubisoft’s Cold Fear™, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon-2™, Rayman™ brand games and a number of E3 trailers

Caption

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search