The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PT 192, DAC, or Studiocomm monitoring question
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

PT 192, DAC, or Studiocomm monitoring question

Hey yall... I have an HD3 system with a 96i/o (wanted a 192 but needed the DSP and plugins!) I'll be adding a 192 soon hopfully...

Here's the question... I'm monitoring out of the analog outs of the 96io through a studiocomm 55. (I know I can do better for monitoring) I was thinking of upgrading to the Benchmark DAC1 and using it on the AES out of the 96io.
Should I save the grand for the benchmark and spend a little over 2500 for a 192 and forget the Benchmark? Are the Benchmarks "all that and a bag of chips?" I'm a fan of the lavry Blue's but can't really afford one right now. If the benchmarks are on the same ball park of the 192's then I would be just fine with my 96io, and using it digitally.

Another question... If I do go with the benchmark, should I just lose the studiocomm from the signal chain? use the benchmark "volume pot" I have a feeling my studiocomm will be superior in that dept. And I love the multiple input routing of the studiocomm. How's the Benchmark "volume pot" on the front?

This is a "mix only" room so no need for A/D's (yet)

Thanks!
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

bump?
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Consider a cranesong avocet. Top quality monitor controller with cool features in spades (programmable input trim, stepped relay based volume pot for recallable monitor levels, digital and analog I/O, good headphone amp, good talkback system with cue mix, multi-speaker outs, etc.). It also has a great D/A converter built in so that would replace the benchmark in your plans. All this for less than a 192. You could totally ditch the studio comm afterwords.

OR, for about the same price, you could get a Dangerous monitor LT and a Benchmark and you'd get pretty much the same great features as the avocet.

The 192 D/A's are fine but the Benchmark/Cranesong converters are a step up. If you truly don't need A/D or multiple D/As, then I wouldn't recommend one. HOWEVER, if you're doing hardware inserts during mixdown, I would highly recommend stepping up to a 192 over a 96.

Word.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search