!gtr3
4 Votes - 7.02%
!gtr4
25 Votes - 43.86%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

NEW listening POLL!! API GERM LTD-1 TG CHAN help

So im getting ready to start guitars for a project and ran thru some pre's. I would like to see what you guys think.

The setup is a Paul w/emgs > rectifier > mesa cab > 57

The four pre's used were
TG Channel
LTD-1
Germanium
API 3124
Attached Files

!gtr1.mp3 (157.6 KB, 551 views)

!gtr2.mp3 (157.6 KB, 529 views)

!gtr3.mp3 (157.6 KB, 478 views)

!gtr4.mp3 (191.8 KB, 531 views)

Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Difficult to tell...
It depends which king of song/mix we want to achieve...
I have polled for the 2 for its warmth.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for the vote---yeah i kinda like big and warm vs. thin and cutting
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Nut

My vote is for #1 if your wanting the guitars to have clarity above the mix #2 if the vocals should have the air above the mix.

#3 is too nasaly for me in any situation and #4 is a bit too dirty.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

BUmp
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'll be the first to guess what takes are what pre's. I have only used the API's so...
1.)Germ
2.)API
3.)LTD-1
4.)TG
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

#2 seems to relate well to the recto harmonic structure.
Old 17th May 2006
4 sounded the most aggressive and alive to me. I'd go with that in any case. But that's just me.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

More guesses on whats what. I will post the answers later on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitney
4 sounded the most aggressive and alive to me. I'd go with that in any case. But that's just me.
agreed
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I like 4 the best..has the most fullness and color. Good midrange and a hint of compression. Don't know which pre is which, but I'm guessing 4 is either API or Germ.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

1 TG/LTD
2 API
3 TG/LTD
4 Germ

Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

4! Sounds great
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Guesses????????????????
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Nut

umm they all sound good

they all sound good to me
sounds like someone twisting eq knobs :P
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

No eq's used all flat pre

I think people are going to be surprised.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

#2. For sure. Nicer Harmonics and a bit rounder than the other 3.

Rob
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

In order I prefer

Rob
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Its lookin like 4 might be the pre i record with.

ANY MORE VOTES
Old 18th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MREVOL
Its lookin like 4 might be the pre i record with.

ANY MORE VOTES
I gotta say man... and I am not trying to be a d*ck or anything.

First without the rest of the tracks, drums, bass, vox, bagpipes how do we know what the hell the best sounding mic and pre is?

Second, these don't sound exactly level matched to me but I did not pull them into my DAW to check. Without exact levels there are going to be differences in the perception of what is "best".

Lastly the pre that you should record with is the pre that you like the sound of with the rest of the mix and what puts a smile on your face ya know? If you want someone to produce the project then hire them and let them make that call. If you are producing the project then step up to the plate and make the pick yourself.

Honestly all of these tracks sound good, you are doing a good job in that department so I would not sweat it. If you want to learn a bit about the decision that you are making grab another 57 (they are cheap in comparison) and track the two that you like the most right now. Come mix time see if the one that you liked during tracking is still your favorite and ask why or why not, that will go a LONG way to helping you make this decision on the next tracking session right?

Not trying to talk down to you or anything, nice gear and good sounds. I just think we all should rely a little less on random people on the Internet and more on our gut feelings about things. At the end of the day screw what everyone else thinks and go with what you like....

Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

I agree with you 100%. I come from the true rock school of just doing what feels right and not what people say should be done. I also agree with the "In the mix" whats going to sound best. I just did this out of FUN and to see what other people thought. After doing this im actually surprised by my conclusions. The one mic pre that a lot of SLUTZ rave about for guitars is not doing it for me. I have already made up my mind. Once again this was for fun and im very greatful when people take the time to post mp3's of stuff they have tried out.
Old 18th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MREVOL
I agree with you 100%. I come from the true rock school of just doing what feels right and not what people say should be done. I also agree with the "In the mix" whats going to sound best. I just did this out of FUN and to see what other people thought. After doing this im actually surprised by my conclusions. The one mic pre that a lot of SLUTZ rave about for guitars is not doing it for me. I have already made up my mind. Once again this was for fun and im very greatful when people take the time to post mp3's of stuff they have tried out.

So what is what? What pre is what track? I am interested. I assume from your post above that the germ is not knocking you over then?
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

OK OK

1 is API 3124
2 is LTD-1
3 is TG Chan
4 is Germ

I decided to go with the germ and the ltd-1. I was shocked about the TG because so many rave about it. Is the Channel different then the TG2???? Maybe thats it. I love the germ and the midrange umph to it. I also love the LTD for its harmonics and roundness.

Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

That crazy Germanium is the only pre to record rock guitars through... Wade Goecke is clearly in a pact with Satan.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Agreed, the Germ is untouchable on electric guitars in my opinion, but I will point out that it had what sounded like an unfair advantage in that it was the loudest of the four samples.

-Chris
Old 18th May 2006
Anyone have a technical explanation (guess) for why the Germanium sounds better than other preamps for recording guitar?
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Well I picked the LTD so can't agree that the germ is better!

One answer as to why one pre sounds better than another is illustrated very nicely in this set of samples. How the note intervals, amp and guitar harmonic structure and the preamp harmonic structure relate is very important. Some amps with very rich harmonic structure (Orange OTR120, Hiwatt DR103) can sound like the guitar is actually out of tune going through some preamps, because of a mismatch in these elements.

In these short clips listen to the harmonics, you can hear subtle chorusing and an overall sweetness on some and just a flat pasty tone on the others. With different note intervals, instruments, and amps one might very well pick a different pre.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrulesmore
Agreed, the Germ is untouchable on electric guitars in my opinion, but I will point out that it had what sounded like an unfair advantage in that it was the loudest of the four samples.

-Chris
I put all 4 clips and level matched them in Nuendo and the differences become much more subtle.

I think the fact is that you wouldn't S.O.L. if you were forced to track the guitars with any of those pres. They all sound good. To each his own. I have a TG2 and 3124 and i would be splitting hairs if i thought the germanium alone would significantly upgrade my recordings.

Brandon
Old 18th May 2006
i liked 4 for sure...

Old 18th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitney
Anyone have a technical explanation (guess) for why the Germanium sounds better than other preamps for recording guitar?
i read some scientific paper on the germanium element which said it's actually spinning off and grabbing back electrons constantly... and that could explain the extra motion it gives sound... now dont ask me to explain how it relates because i dont begin to understand it.. but it seems to add motion and grain to me...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search