!gtr3
4 Votes - 7.02%
!gtr4
25 Votes - 43.86%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Thanks for the clips, that was great!

I took the time to load them in my daw and adjusted the levels, and the differences are big! My comments:

- clip 2 sounds best to me, very tight and not too bright

- then clip 4 (might cut better in a mix), clip 3, and clip 1 last (too bright/harsh)

- why didn't you play the exact same riff with the germs? It's riff "sounds" better with the added power chords

- is that a C tuning?!? What gauge are you using then?

Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

If you really believe that differences between pres are THAT drastic (like between
sample one and three) then you can believe in Santa Claus as well.

I did my own Api and TG 2 shootout a while ago and NEVER EVER are the differences that big.

Sounds like the mic was moved or something...
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

before reading anything i listened and i liked 4 and 2.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

my pref was

however I am monitoring on total garbage compter monitors

but after flattenin the eq on my crappy lil computer spks I do like 4 better

so revised list is
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hm, heavey guitars are great for comparing things like mics and preamps.

I just did a mic pre comparision a few weeks ago. That was between my APIs and my ADT preamps. It was almost the same setup. Recto + 57. There was a noticable difference, but not as huuge as in your files.
RU sure you did not move the mics or any knobs?
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

I loved #2. Thanks for doing this!!!

"Who...does....number 2....work....for....."

(Austin Powers)
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

I voted for 4 thumbsup and identified it as Germ thumbsup and this is exactly what I hear in my studio with different pres on guitars.
I don't know why (I had rented Germ for 2 days only), but it's really different to anything else. Really crazy pre, if you hear it once, you'll recognize its soundprint.
Go with Germ, no doubt !
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

where does this nasty buzz/hum come from ? are you using a overdrive in front of the rectifier ?

thanks for the clips !
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I did my own Api and TG 2 shootout a while ago and NEVER EVER are the differences that big.

Are you kidding? I knew exactly which pre was the API instantly. I had a tougher time picking the rest out. API doesn't nearly have the bottom of any of the other pres - not even close.

Funny thing is though, the APIs will always mix well. Some of the other files could get scarey fast in context of a mixheh

That's why these a/b things really neeed to be taken with a grain of salt. It's a great way to discover why pres sound the way they do over a whole mix, but never really tell you how the whole mix is going to sound by a/bing a single track (well maybe a little).
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=kats]

Funny thing is though, the APIs will always mix well. Some of the other files could get scarey fast in context of a mixheh

=QUOTE]

you hit the nail on the head! The API's may not be the most exciting in solo mode but they rarely sound like ****e in the mix.I own The Germ and API's and I still go back in forth between the two depending on the session. THe Germ doesn't kill the APi or vice versa...they compliment each other
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey Guys---

Mic was never moved.

I think one reason the Germ has a little more mid umph to it is because of the feedback knob. I tried it without feeding back in to much and it was more even and a little thinner. When adjusting the feedback it pushed the mids up in your face, inwhich i liked for the guitars.

The LTD i thought also sounded great. Warm and round.

The strings were heavy gauge starting at a .13 and dropped tuned to C

The buzz is from a bad ground.

For the recordings i decided to run a 121 into the LTD and a 57 into the Germ and it has been sounding great so far. Im not to big of a fan of the rectifiers because of the high end fizz so im using very little of the presence knob this time around.

I agree that i think all the pre's would do fine in the long run and that this was for fun.

But lets remember one thing-----------------SLUTZ RULE!!!!!!
Old 19th May 2006
Is there anything the Germanium wouldn't be good to use on? Or significantly inferior in a particular application to some other pre? (This is a crazy question, I know.)
Old 19th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitney
Is there anything the Germanium wouldn't be good to use on? Or significantly inferior in a particular application to some other pre? (This is a crazy question, I know.)
no.
Old 19th May 2006
Was the "Thick" switch in for this recording?
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitney
Was the "Thick" switch in for this recording?

good question
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MREVOL
OK OK

1 is API 3124
2 is LTD-1
3 is TG Chan
4 is Germ

I decided to go with the germ and the ltd-1. I was shocked about the TG because so many rave about it. Is the Channel different then the TG2???? Maybe thats it. I love the germ and the midrange umph to it. I also love the LTD for its harmonics and roundness.

Which GAIN Vs FEEDBACK ratio did u use?? was thick involved??

EDIT: Sorry, the question was already ASKED!!

BTW, I'll do my first session With GERM saturday, and i'm gonna use a very Similar Setup....

ALSO I have 2 Hours to track Drums for a song so no time for experiments, Where would you put the germ on drums?? I was thinking Snare with a 421...

I will experiment later, i'll take suggestion for this quick session as I wanna try the GERM (it came in during a long mix session and haven't used it YET!!!)

Thanks!!
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

The germ was set about 2-3 on input and 6-7 on feedback.

The THICK button was not in. I later tried that and MY GOSH!!!!!!!

I must say that the 121 thru the LTD and the 57 thru the GERM is the way to go. This has to be the best guitar tone i have ever gotten!!!!!!
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
The germ was set about 2-3 on input and 6-7 on feedback.

The THICK button was not in. I later tried that and MY GOSH!!!!!!!

I must say that the 121 thru the LTD and the 57 thru the GERM is the way to go. This has to be the best guitar tone i have ever gotten!!!!!!
So tracking with Thick on??

Did you try any other mic?? like a 421...
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Im actually tracking with the THICK off. It was a little too much with the 121. The 121 is giving me a great body and the 57 is giving that cut. If i was only tracking with the 57 the THICK button might have been used. I wish the germ let you control how much THICKness you could give. But its a great pre anyways!!

I did try the 421 and that sound good to. At one point i was going to do a combo of all three but it just had too much mid. So pulling the 421 out did the trick for me.

I will post an example when i have a sec of the rough track
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Im actually tracking with the THICK off. It was a little too much with the 121. The 121 is giving me a great body and the 57 is giving that cut. If i was only tracking with the 57 the THICK button might have been used. I wish the germ let you control how much THICKness you could give. But its a great pre anyways!!

I did try the 421 and that sound good to. At one point i was going to do a combo of all three but it just had too much mid. So pulling the 421 out did the trick for me.

I will post an example when i have a sec of the rough track

Do you print separate tracks or a single track with both signals??

Just curious
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I cant tell with that type of distortion.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

In pro tools i recorded both mics to seperate tracks, blend them, then printed to a third track. I will keep the two mic tracks just incase.

It will be cool to see what you guys think of the tone
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

you have more self control than me. I can't bring myself to ever disengage the Thick switch on any source heh
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Alright Kids-----------

So heres a ROUGH of the tracks. I have not recorded bass or vox's yet. This is NOT MIXED, MASTERED, blah blah blah --- you know the disclaimer

this is just two guitar tracks hard left and right

Im pretty excited about the tone so far
Attached Files

!Rough bounce.mp3 (959.6 KB, 108 views)

Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Heres a pic of the pre settings
Attached Thumbnails
NEW listening POLL!! API GERM LTD-1 TG CHAN help-gtr-pre.jpg  
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Oh yeah----i marked my LTD-1 so i can see the settings away from the thing. HEHE
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Dude I can't believe your not using the thick switch on EGT's.one of my favorite things about the germ! Especially the healing powers it has on a 57heh
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Well blended with the 121 it was just too much low end

Did you listen to the track
Whadya think
Old 20th May 2006
Quote:
Well blended with the 121 it was just too much low end

Did you listen to the track
Whadya think

Sounds pretty damn good man... take that with a grain of salt, I was listening on cheap phones but the track sounds great in 'm.

Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Sounds great .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search