The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
great 1176 clone ?? Chatelain Audio (audio file inside)
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

great 1176 clone ?? Chatelain Audio (audio file inside)

Recently, we were lent a 1176 clone in the studio, to try it out.

The brand name is Chatelain Audio : behind that is a swiss guy which hobby is to build up some solid clones of great compressors (he also did an SSL mixbus compressor that he lent us recently).

The Chatelain Audio 1176 clone looks exactly like the original 1176, same vu, same knobs. The external color is gold anyway.

As we do not own an original 1176 or any other clone, we gave it a shot, and even if we found it very nice, we couldn't compare it straight to any other version.
The comp looks very smart.

We used it on a drum room mic : Royer R121 into a Purple Biz pre, then the compressor.
Here is the audio file for you to listen :
http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/a/b/c/...s/Ambiance.aif

The mic was near the right corner, just behind the drums.

For you, 1176 owners, can you tell me what you think of the compression quality on that extract ? Does it remind you of the 1176 compression style ?
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Sorry to hi-jack the post as I do not have the internet in my studio and my internet PC won't handle a lot of files, I couldn't listen I'm afraid. Have those guys got a website?, I'm always interested in new companies. I copied Chatelain Audio into Google and no sign of them.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

The release sounds slow and the attack envelope a little "lazy." This could just be a setting thing though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search