The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New TFPro P38 vs. vintage LA-3A
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

New TFPro P38 vs. vintage LA-3A

Heard te LA-2A setting was pretty good and the unit has a good clean sound. I'm using it for stereo GB vocal stems...

Anyone recommend the TFPro 38 or a pair of Urei LA-3As for vocals?

-a
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Nut

We shall have P38s at the TapeOpCon in Tucson... with some vocal tracks to try.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

I've read great things about it on a stereo bus - because of the way it maintains the stereo image.

Ted Fletcher has some interesting articles on this at their website www.tfpro.uk.co under the 'Masterclass Link'. Basically the way it sums the stereo signal to a middle/side signal, and applies compression to that - thereby maintaining a perfectly stable stereo image.

I really want to know how this compressor stands up for tracking - vocals, guitars, bass, and also whether it could be used effectively to smash drums.

Don't want to hyjack your thread though. In anycase, would be great to hear first hand experiences for all and any applications... there's only limited discussion on past threads regarding the unit.

Cheers - Rez
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedF
We shall have P38s at the TapeOpCon in Tucson... with some vocal tracks to try.
Man, I wish I could go! I would love to be there, but alas. Thanks for taking your time though, Mr. Fletcher.

May I ask, I know some of the presets or settings, but I forget are any tailored to be in the LA-3A type range?

Thanks,

-andrews

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I really want to know how this compressor stands up for tracking - vocals, guitars, bass, and also whether it could be used effectively to smash drums.
Great!!! I use it for about anything and it works. Surely it's not "just" a mastering comp.
I've never used LA3, but P38 is versitile enough for me not to look for another compressor................. within following several months I'm affraid... heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search