The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Where to rent quality preamps in Chicago?
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear
Where to rent quality preamps in Chicago?

I hope Im not off-topic but i am asking about 'renting' hi end gear so I think Im safe.
Id like to look into some API, Helios, Neve, etc. I would feel like a d*ck buying a bunch of stuff from a dealer and sending it all back with the exception of one preamp.
And god only knows what might happen during the return shipping!

If anyone knows of a place that does daily rentals in Chicago, please let me know. The opinons on gear are nice to read but I'd really like to use some of this stuff before I start spending money.

Thanks.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

All of the people in Chicago with this kind of gear do not rent it.

The best idea is to make contact with those who have it and make an appointment to go to their rooms and hear the set-ups. They won't let it out, however.

It does depend on what you are specifically interested in.

Make a posting here and maybe I can help you.
Old 17th May 2006
w2w
Lives for gear

Call a few studios in town that have what you are looking for & just book a few hours,you would be surprised at how helpful some guys will be.It would be no different than renting gear for a few days,plus,you can get someones help/opinion who has been using the gear on a regular basis.Mic up a drum kit,guitar or whatever,& take the files home & listen further,you really cant go wrong.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Call up chicago recording company and ask where they rent from, when I worked there years ago they rented stuff from somewhere.
-brian
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
I hope Im not off-topic but i am asking about 'renting' hi end gear so I think Im safe.
Id like to look into some API, Helios, Neve, etc. I would feel like a d*ck buying a bunch of stuff from a dealer and sending it all back with the exception of one preamp.
And god only knows what might happen during the return shipping!

If anyone knows of a place that does daily rentals in Chicago, please let me know. The opinons on gear are nice to read but I'd really like to use some of this stuff before I start spending money.

Thanks.
Rent no. But as others were suggesting, you may have to go to a few places.

Mercenary has a Chicago presence where you can check out some stuff.

Call them

Regards,
David
Old 18th May 2006
I have a couple friends at CRC - I'll ask them where they rent from. I've never rented in Chicago.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear
I've rented from Engine Studios before, but that was like in 2000. I don't know if they still rent anymore...but at the time I rented a 4ch API mic pre thing, a Tube Tech EQ, and a 2ch broadcast Neve rack thing.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear
Thanks for the help guys. It's funny that all of these CRC references came out. I used to intern there several years ago.

I guess what Im looking for is a change. Ive been using a TLM 193 and a AKG 414 through an Avalon 737 for years now, and though I have gotten pretty good recording with it on Voice and acoustic guitar, every demo i do has that sound.

Im looking to do more electric work as well so I just wanted to rent a bunch of stuff over a few weekends and listen back to the files before i make a huge purchase.

I remember loving the VR on the first floor at CRC but I was always just hitting a space bar on PT or play on a DAT backup. I never really got hands on with it othe rthan to strike it. So I want to try out a bunch of stuff with an open mind.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Head

Try,

http://www.rentfx.us/

I've only spoken with them so I can't vouch. I know it's not everything you're looking for but it might help one day. They're in Elmwood Park.

Also might want to look into Full Compass rentals, they'll ship to you.

Good Luck
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Head

dont really know of any rental places

chicago is really different from any other city for studio stuff

good luck

try the mercanry thing if you have a visa
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Man I used to rent from RentFX all the time years ago. I think the guys name is Chris Kirby (could be wrong). I did not know they are still around. Thanks for the link.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search