The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AD-16-X will i hear difference!?
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Nut

AD-16-X will i hear difference!?

will i hear a big jump in sonic quility, that is not subjective but quantative against the rme fireface 800!??!
all answers appreciated, thanks guys, i know this one sorta comes up a lot!!!
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylum
will i hear a big jump in sonic quility, that is not subjective but quantative against the rme fireface 800!??!.....
my honest oinion is - it depends on how devloped your listening skills are.

it IS subjective.

Old 17th May 2006
Gear Nut

so very similar

thanks for that, quick, so you think its in the same sonic ball park as the fireface?!
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

much better... You will probably hear the good stuff baby!
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Nut

i thought it was a porsche

...comparable to a ford fiesta and a ride in a porsche, but if its neglagible (forgive spelling) would a good mic pre/mic (liquid channel) neve api etc.... for the same price give me the bump up i,m lookin for, in terms of hi fidelity!?
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

It scared me how much better it is. I felt like my hearing improved
Old 17th May 2006
Trp
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylum
...would a good mic pre/mic give me the bump up i,m lookin for, in terms of hi fidelity!?
IME the impact on sonic quality declines along the recording chain, so it´s
1. room acoustics
2. mic
3. mic pre
4. conversion

in that order.

great conversion does make a difference, but great acoustics and mics will make a bigger difference. so if the fireface is your weakest link in the chain go ahead and upgrade to the AD-16-X. But if the rest is not top notch it doesn´t make much sense to put your money there IMO.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac
I'm also very interested about this subject since I have a Fireface and am considering new converters.

Many people tell me that the difference between a Motu converter and Apogee AD (or DA) is like night and day but I think this is more obvious because the MOTU converters IMO are the weakest part of all the MOTU products. So could someone who has got a fireface and an apogee conv somehow explain the differences. I'm interested in both the AD and the DA converters. Also I've heard that you can't clock the Fireface with an external clock, I've heard that it slaves to the clock but somehow "recreates" the clock for it's converters. Anybody know if this is true or not?

Thanks.

-- Mikko
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrane
Many people tell me that the difference between a Motu converter and Apogee AD (or DA) is like night and day but I think this is more obvious because the MOTU converters IMO are the weakest part of all the MOTU products. So could someone who has got a fireface and an apogee conv somehow explain the differences. I'm interested in both the AD and the DA converters. Also I've heard that you can't clock the Fireface with an external clock, I've heard that it slaves to the clock but somehow "recreates" the clock for it's converters. Anybody know if this is true or not?
FWIW i lent an aardsync to a friend of mine and he hasn't been able to get his motu (i think it's a 192) to clock to it (so far).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search