The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone having trouble with Purple Audio direct?
Old 16th May 2006
  #1
Anyone having trouble with Purple Audio direct?

Anyone having trouble with orders at Purple Audio. I don't WANT to go public with my story yet but needless to say I cannot get through to them to hear if my order has shipped it was supposed to ship last week, and nobody there will return my phone or emails though I have been calling and emailing daily for about 6 days now.

Very unsettling. I can't even get them to confirm either way so I could plan for my sessions this week.

They got several hundred dollars of my cash I hope I get my goods, my cash or even some news.

- Jim
Old 16th May 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
 
jomo1234's Avatar
 

Andrew and the people at Purple Audio are good guys. I would highly doubt that they would take your money and disappear. They are always busy over there, and even though it's no excuse for not getting back to a customer, I would just keep on trying.

Good luck!
Old 16th May 2006
  #3
Gear Addict
 
tvanveen's Avatar
 

Yeah, they seem to be a little spotty on answering emails or voicemails. He'll get back to you eventually.

Did you order stuff directly off the Purple site?
Old 16th May 2006
  #4
Well I paid Paypal last Monday for a unit that supposedly existed because we discussed briefly that it had a slight blemish. I thought maybe it would go out soon since it existed. Andrew answered a couple of emails with one sentence responses which indicated to me he was very busy. He said it would ship Thursday which seemed a little weird to me but okay they were real busy and didn't have UPS/FedEx stopping by for four days? Oh well.

Anyway Thursday rolled around and I emailed saying I was excited about the shipment and to please include a tracking number or let me konw if it was USPS. Haven't heard from him since. Have called and emailed daily asking if they would please just indicate if it had shipped or if there was some hold up. After no news by the weekend I called and emailed asking very simply for INFORMATION on the shipment (even if it didn't go out) or a refund.

I made it clear that I just needed to know what is up.

Now remember I was told that it would ship last Thursday and I assume the silence means it didn't ship. Who knows?

So now I call and email daily and leave messages just asking for the common courtesy to know if/when it is shipping so I can plan for my sessions or for a refund.

But apparrently they are too busy for common courtesy or to ship things when they said they would.

Any sort of honesty or communication from them at all and I would be their biggest most patient advocate but this is ridiculous.

Very frustrating,

- Jim
Old 16th May 2006
  #5
Gear Nut
 

I placed my MC77 order with Mercenary last week and got the unit two days later... I guess the Purple guys should stick to building the sweet gear and leave sales to the pros.
Old 17th May 2006
  #6
Gear Addict
 
Klauth's Avatar
Yeah, me too...... I got 4 of the BIZ pre's straight from them a few months back and experienced the same situation. it took about 2 weeks to get my order. but, it did show up and the pre's kik a$$ so, it was worth the wait. just be patient, "grasshoppa" you'll be smilin' soon enough! -Klauth
Old 17th May 2006
  #7
w2w
Lives for gear
 
w2w's Avatar
 

Im sorry,but I have to just say,there is NO excuse at all for a company to not return calls & emails.To say they are good ,etc, but are just busy is the worst excuse ever,its total B.S. ......So what they are busy,and the guy who just forked over hard earned cash on someones product isnt busy too? Nobody is THAT busy to take ONE MINUTE to make a phone call or an email to respond to a guy who is waiting on an order.Its almost become accepted that companies can get away with this $hit.I can understand the small one or two man operations are working around the clock,but it still does not make it right...sorry.If anything,they should be more on the ball to keep the people who are supporting them informed & happy.If you cant deliver the product,dont tell someone you can.They didnt have any problem taking the guys money,send him the item.If there is a problem,call him.Its just that simple.Im sorry,I dont care who the company is & who likes em,they should be called out on the carpet for this crap.There are just too many companies out there these days offering great products for people to choose from,nobody has to be put thru crappy service.More companies should take a lesson from A-Designs & Chandler & Tonelux just to mention a few......Sorry for the rant but Im sure Im not the only one who has ever had to deal with this crap.I just dont do business with em anymore when I see this...Im not just talking about a case of dropping the ball either,this is a simple case of a phone call,...just call him back.....Anyone else feel the same?
Old 17th May 2006
  #8
A-Designs and Shadow Hills

Yeah I gotta say that Peter Montessi at A-Designs was one of the most pleasurable people I have ever dealt with and I LOVE my EM-Silver. Also I had contact with Peter Reardon after buying my GAMA monos and the guy called me within minutes to thank me, etc. Unbelievable. With Purple I have literally been begging for days and no consideration for my situation whatsoever. I don't get it . . . maybe I should only deal with people named Peter!! Seriously I woud have been a little bummed if told I had to wait but I would have felt respected and in turn respected them back. Now I am just feeling F'd over.
Old 17th May 2006
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
exfakto's Avatar
A studio owner friend of mine wanted to become a Purple Audio dealer and got a pretty nasty reply that his studio wants a "real" studio just because he didnt have a tape machine or pro tools. What kind of mentality is that!?!?!?
Old 17th May 2006
  #10
Gear Addict
 
tvanveen's Avatar
 

I think Andrew is causing himself a lot of headaches by letting people buy directly from him. If he just took the paypal cart off his site he'd be just fine and there wouldn't be all this annoyance. Let the dealers take care of that stuff.

I still think they're the smokingest 500 pres out there, and I'll buy more one of these days, just like I bought an MC77.
Old 17th May 2006
  #11
In Andrew's defense, he ALWAYS comes through, he hasn't forgot about you. I know because we wait for our orders as well, but it's not a big deal for us that's what is to be expected with all small boutique manufacturers. The dealers tend to keep stock available whenever possible. A lot of times I hear people saying that they are waiting on this or that and we have the stock on the shelf. Go figure.
Old 17th May 2006
  #12
Well I disagree Nathan. Andrew has not come through for me. Unless it somehow arrives by the weekend I will be one preamp short. Remember I was told it would ship last Thursday by Andrew and was counting on it. Plus a simple phone call or email would have gone a long way to me being more patient. Furthermore I don't think Andrew needs defending because I am not attacking him, and it seems he is doing just fine wherever he is. I however am short a few bucks and a preamp for the time being. I love how you money dudes have each other's back.
Old 17th May 2006
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjimmer
I love how you money dudes have each other's back.


I'm just trying to help. I just sent him an email to his personal email for him to contact you. I'll send you one of my stock right now and get it to you by when you need it and he can just give me one back later when he has stock available. I won't be benefitting at all other than helping you and Andrew. I'll just need to clear it with Andrew and I can have it out to you tommorrow for arrival by this weekend.
Old 17th May 2006
  #14
Lives for gear
 
GP_Hawk's Avatar
Ok, now that's going above and beyond. The money dudes got YOUR back now. Sounds like a good deal to meheh
Old 17th May 2006
  #15
Lives for gear
 
DontLetMeDrown's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2w
Im sorry,but I have to just say,there is NO excuse at all for a company to not return calls & emails.To say they are good ,etc, but are just busy is the worst excuse ever,its total B.S. ......So what they are busy,and the guy who just forked over hard earned cash on someones product isnt busy too? Nobody is THAT busy to take ONE MINUTE to make a phone call or an email to respond to a guy who is waiting on an order.Its almost become accepted that companies can get away with this $hit.I can understand the small one or two man operations are working around the clock,but it still does not make it right...sorry.If anything,they should be more on the ball to keep the people who are supporting them informed & happy.If you cant deliver the product,dont tell someone you can.They didnt have any problem taking the guys money,send him the item.If there is a problem,call him.Its just that simple.Im sorry,I dont care who the company is & who likes em,they should be called out on the carpet for this crap.There are just too many companies out there these days offering great products for people to choose from,nobody has to be put thru crappy service.More companies should take a lesson from A-Designs & Chandler & Tonelux just to mention a few......Sorry for the rant but Im sure Im not the only one who has ever had to deal with this crap.I just dont do business with em anymore when I see this...Im not just talking about a case of dropping the ball either,this is a simple case of a phone call,...just call him back.....Anyone else feel the same?
+1

Agreed. I'm tired of this $hit. Don't take my money if you dont have the product ready. I notice a lot of pro audio websites do this. Same goes for "back-ordered" items. Dont process the transaction if you dont have it. Wtf is that. I know there are a lot of gear salesmen on this board so it should be said again-- This practice needs to end.
Old 17th May 2006
  #16
Lives for gear
 
DontLetMeDrown's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
I'm just trying to help. I just sent him an email to his personal email for him to contact you. I'll send you one of my stock right now and get it to you by when you need it and he can just give me one back later when he has stock available. I won't be benefitting at all other than helping you and Andrew. I'll just need to clear it with Andrew and I can have it out to you tommorrow for arrival by this weekend.
Nice Nathan
Old 17th May 2006
  #17
Gear Head
 
le purp's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfakto
A studio owner friend of mine wanted to become a Purple Audio dealer and got a pretty nasty reply that his studio wants a "real" studio just because he didnt have a tape machine or pro tools. What kind of mentality is that!?!?!?


-------

This is now what happened. The owner asked me about selling Purple Audio equipment, at least in part becuase he was teaching recording classes. I asked him why I didn't see a console or a recording medium in his gear list. A tape machine and pro tools are popular recording mediums but there are others that are fine also. The owner's response was that I must have not have been in any studios because I thought you had to record to something. Maybe we were having a communication problem but I still don't know how your record when you have nothing to record to???
Old 17th May 2006
  #18
Gear Head
 
le purp's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjimmer
Anyone having trouble with orders at Purple Audio. I don't WANT to go public with my story yet but needless to say I cannot get through to them to hear if my order has shipped it was supposed to ship last week, and nobody there will return my phone or emails though I have been calling and emailing daily for about 6 days now.

Very unsettling. I can't even get them to confirm either way so I could plan for my sessions this week.

They got several hundred dollars of my cash I hope I get my goods, my cash or even some news.

- Jim

-----

I am not sure what the problem is. You asked for a demo unit, I am shipping one out to you. I was out of town from friday until this evening and was unable to check email. So I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I am sure you will be happy with your unit when you get it in a few days.
Old 17th May 2006
  #19
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by w2w
Im sorry,but I have to just say,there is NO excuse at all for a company to not return calls & emails.To say they are good ,etc, but are just busy is the worst excuse ever,its total B.S.
Ya know... a man really shouldn't work more than 18 hours a day... but Andrew does on a regular basis. He is a one man operation that also includes doing a boat load of tech work in the NY Metro area as well as a bunch of other stuff I'm not sure I'm at liberty to disclose.

If you want love and attention then go to one of the Purple Audio dealers which is set up to give you the love and attention you may desire.

The fact of the matter is that Purple Audio will deliver as soon as they can... no sooner, and no later... there is bloody little time for "communication" in Andrew's world... and while I understand how a lack of communication can lead to frustration in the relationship, you have to understand that the man needs to prioritize his world with "what needs to be done in the next 5 minutes" vs. "what needs to be done sooner". All of this must be weighed against "what can wait because it won't shut me down"... the answer to the last one is usually return phone calls.

As for the kid who was told he couldn't be a "dealer" because he didn't have a tape machine or Pro-Tools... well how about because he's a studio and not a dedicated dealer... how about because it usually takes a 10-20,000 dollar investment to be a dealer for any given line of boutique equipment. Was that the right way to phrase it to tell the kid to piss off? Probably not... but Andrew is a designer, not a politician... I'm a politician so I'm can explain how and why the kid should fukk off in much nicer terms, but any way you look at it... the results are the same.

Peace.
Old 17th May 2006
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
I'm just trying to help. I just sent him an email to his personal email for him to contact you. I'll send you one of my stock right now and get it to you by when you need it and he can just give me one back later when he has stock available. I won't be benefitting at all other than helping you and Andrew. I'll just need to clear it with Andrew and I can have it out to you tommorrow for arrival by this weekend.
Nathan that was very cool of you. Thank you for the consideration and I apologize for any assumptions i made about the "money dudes."



Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
If you want love and attention then go to one of the Purple Audio dealers which is set up to give you the love and attention you may desire.
Fletcher I see your perspective, just realize anytime anyone gives you a firm date after even a short time of waiting and then it doesn't ship and they don't return correspondence it is not about love and attention. I could care less if a boutique dealer is my buddy or not, just when you have money invested and you were given a firm date you want the gear or an explanation. That does not seem overly demanding to me.

I work 18 hour days too -- most of us do.
Old 17th May 2006
  #21
Lives for gear
 
True North's Avatar
 

As a business owner and father of three I can certainly relate to the number of hours it takes to keep my world bobbling about. I am also not perfect, I make mistakes all the time. That being said, no matter how hard Andrew works there is no excuse for accepting someones money and not communicating on even the most basic level.

As far as getting better service from one of the Purple dealers, that is a bit of hindsight now, isn't it? I am sure that at the time of buying the unit there was no warning from the seller that he wouldn't get back to him in a timely manner and he would break his promise to deliver the product by a certain date. He accepted the money, and failed to deliver on his promise. It is not the end of the world but the customer is certainly deserving of better treatment plain and simple.

I wouldn't demonize Purple Audio over this incident. Mistakes and poor communication will happen in almost every business from time to time. It sounds like Andrew got busy and messed up on a transaction. He has been business for a number of years and I highly doubt that this incident will go unresolved.

Now the whole thing about not giving the line to a buddy who doesen't have a 2" machine or Protools, that sounds fishy and untrue. I think it has a lot more to do with the points that Fletcher mentioned.

Superjimmer - sorry to hear about predicament, I am sure Andrew will resolve it for you.
Old 17th May 2006
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
Ya know... a man really shouldn't work more than 18 hours a day... but Andrew does on a regular basis. He is a one man operation that also includes doing a boat load of tech work in the NY Metro area as well as a bunch of other stuff I'm not sure I'm at liberty to disclose.

If you want love and attention then go to one of the Purple Audio dealers which is set up to give you the love and attention you may desire.

The fact of the matter is that Purple Audio will deliver as soon as they can... no sooner, and no later... there is bloody little time for "communication" in Andrew's world... and while I understand how a lack of communication can lead to frustration in the relationship, you have to understand that the man needs to prioritize his world with "what needs to be done in the next 5 minutes" vs. "what needs to be done sooner". All of this must be weighed against "what can wait because it won't shut me down"... the answer to the last one is usually return phone calls.

As for the kid who was told he couldn't be a "dealer" because he didn't have a tape machine or Pro-Tools... well how about because he's a studio and not a dedicated dealer... how about because it usually takes a 10-20,000 dollar investment to be a dealer for any given line of boutique equipment. Was that the right way to phrase it to tell the kid to piss off? Probably not... but Andrew is a designer, not a politician... I'm a politician so I'm can explain how and why the kid should fukk off in much nicer terms, but any way you look at it... the results are the same.

Peace.
I agree 1000% with the above....

BUT

..... if Andrew is so busy (and I have no doubt he is that busy) then he needs to rethink how he is doing business right? If you spend all your time doing what you are doing and things are still dropping then you need to think about what you are spending your time on. Stop selling direct and tell users to purchase from the dealers maybe? Maybe stop doing the outside repair work? Maybe hire a good assistant, not even a parts person but a phone and PR type?

The old saying goes, if you keep doing what you are doing now you should expect to have the same results. If you want to change how you are working then you need to change how you work.
Old 17th May 2006
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by True North
Now the whole thing about not giving the line to a buddy who doesen't have a 2" machine or Protools, that sounds fishy and untrue. I think it has a lot more to do with the points that Fletcher mentioned.
Yes seems like crap to me as well. 3 sides to every story and in this case I would lean towards the expliation that Fletcher gave here.
Old 17th May 2006
  #24
Lives for gear
 
nosebleedaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfakto
A studio owner friend of mine wanted to become a Purple Audio dealer and got a pretty nasty reply that his studio wants a "real" studio just because he didnt have a tape machine or pro tools. What kind of mentality is that!?!?!?
I would think it was because he is not a pro audio store, a studio/retail store does not work very well.
Old 17th May 2006
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Albert's Avatar
 

Likewise, Fletcher's post is right on.

These little companies that make/sell products that become successful are often very understaffed, and the designers wear a *lot* of different hats. I do think you need to cut them a little extra slack for that reason.

The advantage to boutique companies is that they often make some very good products and when you call with a question about the gear you often get hold of the guy that designed the gear or who built the gear. Very knowledgable people. Not like when you call Roland and get a minimum wage person answering phones and doesn't have true insight into the gear you are calling about.
Old 17th May 2006
  #26
w2w
Lives for gear
 
w2w's Avatar
 

Andrew replied He didnt know what the problem was......He said he was going to ship out a demo unit....then said he was out of town for a few days.....He also offered his apology....but......all he had to do was let the guy know that......BEFORE he left,or at the time of purchase.......seriously...is that REALLY that much to ask for? All this would have been avoided by ONE simple email or call.....That is my point...which I still stand by.I myself am a huge fan of the small companies & do most of my business with them,so I do understand,up to a certain point,about the long hours they put in.Furthermore,I do not wish anything bad against Purple Audio,but again,it just does not make it right.We can piss here all day long about who is the most busy guy on the planet,the guys buying these products are busy too.People are always going to drop the ball,thats just the way it goes,its how you pick it back up that counts.[B]......By the way,hats off to Nathan for trying to help out,THAT is customer service!!!!...THats all it comes down to....Customer Service.(Even the little guys)......And that is the only point I was trying to make.
Old 27th June 2006
  #27
Lives for gear
I'd suggest you relax a bit. Yes, it can be frustrating, but we are extremely fortunate to have Andrew producing the terrific products he makes. Fletcher and Nathan are right on. I have 6 units from Andrew and he has always come through. Guys with these small shops are always keeping a lot of balls in the air, so give him a break.

I can tell you from personal experience he is a super guy to work with. If he answered every call he got and dealt with every guy complaining because his unit was a few days late, that's all he would do.

He won't ship until a unit is right, and his focus is on the product. Be thankful we have real pros like him, and cut him some slack.
Old 27th June 2006
  #28
Lives for gear
 

It seems well established that Andrew & Purple Audio are reputable. It also seems clear that as a one-man operation, Andrew is very very busy.

But I don't see how one can ever be too busy to notify a customer, that their order has gone south. I don't care how many hours you work in your day. Make a call, send a one line email, charge more and hire a wildly efficient secretary. Whatever.

If any of those solutions seem too demanding, then maybe the kitchen is too hot, and you shouldn't be in the business of making commitments you don't intend to keep.

Some people think keeping to your word might ought to be a high priority too.

"A man's got to know his limitations" -- Dirty Harry
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump