The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Import/Export Neve-'Flying Faders'|'Encore', SSL-'G|G+|J|K' Automation to DAW's?
Old 25th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
juniorhifikit,

I'm just a Pro Tools HD owner. If I need a desk I'll rent a room if the budget is there. I'm no doubt interested in your product 'sum.mation'. I'll keep a watch on your website. As for reasons for why I'd want to go back, & forth in, & out of DAW's to/from consoles, please read my earlier posts. And, thanks for your being frank/candid about others possibly not drawing up what I hope they might design regarding a system such as I have proposed. Your reply is one of the ones that has made me feel that starting this thread was worthwhile time wise. I'd hoped some systems like yours, or similar in concept were out there. This thread now has made me aware of at least 3 systems I didn't know existed, & refreshed my memory of one I'd forgotten about.

Rob G..
Old 25th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw ➑️
what type of data can these computers export easily?
robertshaw,

Seemingly none of the data can be exported, or imported easily.

Rob G..
Old 26th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Listen, the task of writing software, from the ground up, that runs on todays computers (64-Bit, etc.) and is able to read, understand and then translate the data from DIFFERENT, OLD computers used in various LFAC automation systems is so goddamn HUGE and would be so bloody EXPENSIVE that noone is going to do it.

It would be impossible to recover the investment.

The task of actually coding this concept is just TOO BIG.

It's a lovely idea, but sorry, it ain't gonna happen.
Old 26th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie ➑️
Listen, the task of writing software, from the ground up, that runs on todays computers (64-Bit, etc.) and is able to read, understand and then translate the data from DIFFERENT, OLD computers used in various LFAC automation systems is so goddamn HUGE and would be so bloody EXPENSIVE that noone is going to do it.

It would be impossible to recover the investment.

The task of actually coding this concept is just TOO BIG.

It's a lovely idea, but sorry, it ain't gonna happen.

Dubrichie,

So how much do you think it would cost to develop it? And, how much do you think it should sell for. Put some numbers in the blank spaces.

$____.oo = Developement Costs/Retail Sale Price $______.00

Timeframe from developement to placement on the market.

Timeframe from placement on the market to investment breakeven point.

Timeframe from original investment to 20% return on investment.

How about doing a projection of how many units/licenses this software might sell.

I believe in financial projections, not 'well we can't do it'. In other words prove to me why it can't be done. At least give me a breakeven analysis.

Rob G.
Old 27th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G ➑️
Dubrichie,

So how much do you think it would cost to develop it? And, how much do you think it should sell for. Put some numbers in the blank spaces.

$____.oo = Developement Costs/Retail Sale Price $______.00

Timeframe from developement to placement on the market.

Timeframe from placement on the market to investment breakeven point.

Timeframe from original investment to 20% return on investment.

How about doing a projection of how many units/licenses this software might sell.

I believe in financial projections, not 'well we can't do it'. In other words prove to me why it can't be done. At least give me a breakeven analysis.

Rob G.
This is getting kind of silly.

The amount of work, HARD WORK that I would have to do to research the nitty-gritty of this MAMMOTH coding task in order to answer these questions would be HUGE.

I don't have the time and you can't afford to pay me to do it anyway.

Seriously, it's a nice idea, but the implementation is just off-the-wall impractical. If you cannot accept this, I wish you the best of luck in your quest, because boy are you gonna need it.
Old 28th March 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
So taking this idea sideways a step or two to a much simpler conversion - today I was mixing on a Yamaha DM2000 digital desk. PT faders all at +/-0dB, session spread out across around 32 tracks, some outboard samplers and synths occupying tracks 33-48 and setting levels by the faders. I thought it would be helpful if there was a way to dump the fader info into PT. These desks can talk with PT (they can act as a control surface) but for a few reasons we were mixing with the desk as a desk and not as a controller.

Its a digital desk, so the values should be easy to interpret and interchange with the DAW. Maybe it's already been invented and I don't know about it?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
This is getting kind of silly.

The amount of work, HARD WORK that I would have to do to research the nitty-gritty of this MAMMOTH coding task in order to answer these questions would be HUGE.

I don't have the time and you can't afford to pay me to do it anyway.

Seriously, it's a nice idea, but the implementation is just off-the-wall impractical. If you cannot accept this, I wish you the best of luck in your quest, because boy are you gonna need it.
dubrichie,

Sounds like 'run & hide' mumbling to me(your off the wall comment). The other thing is you don't know me, or what my current/future resources are(witnessed/been behind the scenes on some serious stuff many years back before I got out of the music industry then returned). Third, & lastly what system designs have you developed, & what other types of credentials do you have that might inspire me, & a solid group venture capitalists to entrust you with embarking on such a task. Get back with a resume, or stand down.

Rob G..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Right, fine, never mind.

I don't shoot my mouth off around here without knowing what I'm talking about.

I'm just trying to give you a reality check, not a resume.

Let's not get personal over this.

Over and out and, as I said before, I wish you the best of luck with it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Right, fine, never mind.

I don't shoot my mouth off around here without knowing what I'm talking about.

I'm just trying to give you a reality check, not a resume.

Let's not get personal over this.

Over and out and, as I said before, I wish you the best of luck with it.

dubrichie,

It's all good whatever/how ever.

Rob G..
Old 29th March 2012

🎧 10 years
Quote:
dubrichie,

Sounds like 'run & hide' mumbling to me(your off the wall comment). The other thing is you don't know me, or what my current/future resources are(witnessed/been behind the scenes on some serious stuff many years back before I got out of the music industry then returned). Third, & lastly what system designs have you developed, & what other types of credentials do you have that might inspire me, & a solid group venture capitalists to entrust you with embarking on such a task. Get back with a resume, or stand down.

Rob G..
Man, what cred do YOU have? You strike be as a pie in the sky, "I'd like this so it must be universal" type person.
Old 29th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
Man, what cred do YOU have? You strike be as a pie in the sky, "I'd like this so it must be universal" type person.
psycho_monkey,

I've been doing the management thing lately but, I'm about to jump back into to the producer/engineers chair. Peeps I've worked with have gone on to produce artists for major labels from Def Jam to Interscope. I've been in on sessions with major players from Jam Master Jay(rest in peace) on. And, thats before I got out of the music industry. I'm back in now. You 'will' hear from my new artists. And very soon. Now that you know a little about me. How about your credentials?

Also, since you're in denial about this new technology here's a second piece of that pie in the sky since you did'nt get the first piece(a few posts back):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m0ZE1YMQeA

And, in case you think I'm all alone in this, check this:

A-FADA for SSL Matrix

Apparently SSL has plans for the future with this A FADA thing. Me personally you strike me as the type of person who doesn't want something like this to exist because you want to charge your clients more money on the studio clock to get things done. Or, you're on some 'slow-mo' mindset. Engineers like that get weeded out real quick with the type of artists I've been around. They want stuff done yesterday, & it's today. I'm on the artist/clients side. Smoother/swifter the workflow the happier the client, the better the production.

Rob G..
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
dubrichie,

Rob G..
Give it a rest, Rob. We can almost hear you beating your chest and throw youring **** at your pen mates from here. Throwing a banana over the rail would probably distract you for the rest of the day...

Lets at least get a few things straight. While you may have experience with automation systems, you have zero experience with the system you are talking about. Why the heck would you start the thread if you did?

Secondly, where is your resume? Like you said... Resume or stand down? It only seems fair.

Thirdly, I took your advice and contacted SSL with a very simply question. If I create a protools mix in my suite with fades I made via my mouse... sent the session files to you to load on your AWS with A-FADA, "would you be hearing the same mix balance, fades and audio levels that I was hearing in my studio"...

That was a question I PM'ed Sam @ SSL 6 days ago. No reply.
I emailed SSL directly 5 days ago. No reply.
I phoned my local SSL dealer... he replied... "not a clue".

Even the video you posted as your conclusive proof skips over the section about recording and reading DAW automation in about 8 seconds with zero mention of the correlation of audio levels and such.

Have you confirmed it? ...because SSL seem shy about the question, and it would be utterly ridiculous to suggest SSL have done what you ask if protools and A-FADA end up with different sonic results from the same automation data.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrode ➑️
Give it a rest, Rob. We can almost hear you beating your chest and throw youring **** at your pen mates from here. Throwing a banana over the rail would probably distract you for the rest of the day...

Lets at least get a few things straight. While you may have experience with automation systems, you have zero experience with the system you are talking about. Why the heck would you start the thread if you did?

Secondly, where is your resume? Like you said... Resume or stand down? It only seems fair.

Thirdly, I took your advice and contacted SSL with a very simply question. If I create a protools mix in my suite with fades I made via my mouse... sent the session files to you to load on your AWS with A-FADA, "would you be hearing the same mix balance, fades and audio levels that I was hearing in my studio"...

That was a question I PM'ed Sam @ SSL 6 days ago. No reply.
I emailed SSL directly 5 days ago. No reply.
I phoned my local SSL dealer... he replied... "not a clue".

Even the video you posted as your conclusive proof skips over the section about recording and reading DAW automation in about 8 seconds with zero mention of the correlation of audio levels and such.

Have you confirmed it? ...because SSL seem shy about the question, and it would be utterly ridiculous to suggest SSL have done what you ask if protools and A-FADA end up with different sonic results from the same automation data.

Electrode,

My resume. Partial informal resume is in the last post to 'psycho_monkey'(feel free to read it). You got $20,000.00, and a project I might want to get involved with, negotiate it with my attorney, and you can see the rest of my resume. So 'Ante Up' with the money, or stand down. Outside of that I'm starting to think I'm wasting time replying to posts from you. And, if you do have a serious project, make sure you post at least a partial resume up here of yourself so I can discern if it's even worth getting in touch with my attorney. You sound like 'sour grapes' in your not wanting to embrace the new technology. Stop hating on it. And, regarding SSL I'm sure they will get back to you. I've never had a bad experience with them.

Rob G..

🎧 10 years
Quote:
psycho_monkey,

I've been doing the management thing lately but, I'm about to jump back into to the producer/engineers chair. Peeps I've worked with have gone on to produce artists for major labels from Def Jam to Interscope. I've been in on sessions with major players from Jam Master Jay(rest in peace) on. And, thats before I got out of the music industry. I'm back in now. You 'will' hear from my new artists. And very soon. Now that you know a little about me. How about your credentials?

Also, since you're in denial about this new technology here's a second piece of that pie in the sky since you did'nt get the first piece(a few posts back):

SSL AWS In Depth - Part 5: Automation - YouTube

And, in case you think I'm all alone in this, check this:

A-FADA for SSL Matrix

Apparently SSL has plans for the future with this A FADA thing. Me personally you strike me as the type of person who doesn't want something like this to exist because you want to charge your clients more money on the studio clock to get things done. Or, you're on some 'slow-mo' mindset. Engineers like that get weeded out real quick with the type of artists I've been around. They want stuff done yesterday, & it's today. I'm on the artist/clients side. Smoother/swifter the workflow the happier the client, the better the production.

Rob G..
I'll have a look at your links when I'm at home. Fairly certain from other comments that they're unlikely to do what you've suggested you want.

For the last time - A-FADA does not do what you suggest, nor is it likely to. Please stop mentioning it as an example. I'm fully aware of what it does and doesn't do, and it's really just another automation system, just like flying faders, just like the G+/J/K. The only difference is it piggy backs on to the DAW so it doesn't need it's own computer. It's totally irrelevant to your original suggestion.

FWIW, $20k isn't even the salary of one person for a year to develop your idea. It's far far short of what I imagine would be the R+D cost.

"Peeps I've worked with have gone on to produce artists for major labels from Def Jam to Interscope."

Err....what does that mean?! I used to go to school with Luke Donald, doesn't make me a good golfer! Sorry mate, you're going to have to try harder than that! Unless you went with them to engineer said artists?

My credentials? I'm just a jobbing engineer, pro tools guy, I troubleshoot pro tools rigs, do a bit of post production....I'm lucky I've got a strong technical background with a strong musical background. Hence the reason I'm pretty convinced your suggestion has no financial viability.

I've got engineering (and previously assisting) credits on some big records, and worked on a few others that I didn't get credited on! Some bands you'd have heard of (Coldplay, Stereophonics, Razorlight, Muse), lots you wouldn't have...I've engineered a #1 single (in Holland!), and some UK top 40 stuff...the odd TV ad....lots of things really. I'm not hard to find if you look for me.

As for the "go slow" thing...err, how can you possibly presume that? As it happens most of my mixing is hybrid, although I'm perfectly happy on board automation. I've also engineered for some american producers (eg Jon Jon Trax, who wrote Deja Vu for Beyonce) and been told I'm quicker than most of the guys in the states, so I'm afraid your theory falls down there!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'll have a look at your links when I'm at home. Fairly certain from other comments that they're unlikely to do what you've suggested you want.

For the last time - A-FADA does not do what you suggest, nor is it likely to. Please stop mentioning it as an example. I'm fully aware of what it does and doesn't do, and it's really just another automation system, just like flying faders, just like the G+/J/K. The only difference is it piggy backs on to the DAW so it doesn't need it's own computer. It's totally irrelevant to your original suggestion.

FWIW, $20k isn't even the salary of one person for a year to develop your idea. It's far far short of what I imagine would be the R+D cost.

"Peeps I've worked with have gone on to produce artists for major labels from Def Jam to Interscope."

Err....what does that mean?! I used to go to school with Luke Donald, doesn't make me a good golfer! Sorry mate, you're going to have to try harder than that! Unless you went with them to engineer said artists?

My credentials? I'm just a jobbing engineer, pro tools guy, I troubleshoot pro tools rigs, do a bit of post production....I'm lucky I've got a strong technical background with a strong musical background. Hence the reason I'm pretty convinced your suggestion has no financial viability.

I've got engineering (and previously assisting) credits on some big records, and worked on a few others that I didn't get credited on! Some bands you'd have heard of (Coldplay, Stereophonics, Razorlight, Muse), lots you wouldn't have...I've engineered a #1 single (in Holland!), and some UK top 40 stuff...the odd TV ad....lots of things really. I'm not hard to find if you look for me.

As for the "go slow" thing...err, how can you possibly presume that? As it happens most of my mixing is hybrid, although I'm perfectly happy on board automation. I've also engineered for some american producers (eg Jon Jon Trax, who wrote Deja Vu for Beyonce) and been told I'm quicker than most of the guys in the states, so I'm afraid your theory falls down there!
psycho_monkey,

This one statement in your whole post lets me know you are not paying attention to the details when I post up here. $20,000.00 is the price for my team to do 1(one) track(that's look/see money). If you are not paying attention to the money aspects in detail(I also said set up a line of communication with my attorney to flesh out the details to clarify how far 'Electrode's $20,000.00K would go with my team-you taking for granted that $20,000.00 is salary money not per project- track money which makes me also think that you are not knowledgeable of the business side of this industry) no wonder you don't get that A FADA can/does playback DAW automation(fader/mutes). I'm feeling like I'm wasting my time replying to you too like I am replying to 'Electrode'. Watch the video if you would. You will see that A FADA does what I said. Closing that part of the discussion with you. Repeated it too many times. It's turned into discussion for the sake of discussion(like a dog chasing its tail). I'm am open to any new perspectives you may have regarding the original subject in this thread.

Rob G..
Old 29th March 2012

🎧 10 years
Quote:
psycho_monkey,

This one statement in your whole post lets me know you are not paying attention to the details when I post up here. $20,000.00 is the price for my team to do 1(one) track(that's look/see money). If you are not paying attention to the money aspects in detail(I also said set up a line of communication with my attorney to flesh out the details to clarify how far 'Electrode's $20,000.00K would go with my team-you taking for granted that $20,000.00 is salary money not per project- track money which makes me also think that you are not knowledgeable of the business side of this industry) no wonder you don't get that A FADA can/does playback DAW automation(fader/mutes). I'm feeling like I'm wasting my time replying to you too like I am replying to 'Electrode'. Watch the video if you would. You will see that A FADA does what I said. Closing that part of the discussion with you. Repeated it too many times. It's turned into discussion for the sake of discussion(like a dog chasing its tail). I'm am open to any new perspectives you may have regarding the original subject in this thread.

Rob G..
iPhone browsing..my bad. How much do you think the development cost is?

So a-fada imports ssl g automation data now?

Of course it can play back daw automation...it IS daw automation! Thats not what your thread asked, as far as i understand it. What I want YOU to answer is...does a fader ride in analogue sound the same as on PT...? Cos if not (and it doesn't) what's the point? If you have to correct it, why not do it from scratch? The whole "importing g series automation" thing is a) impractical b) totally unrealistic costwise and c) kinda pointless.

You may (erroneously) think I'm a slowcoach...I think you're a dreamer with no grounding in reality.

I think this'll be my last post in this thread. If you wish to have the last word, feel free. I will check out the video, but I'm pretty sure it won't show me anything new.

And I hope for your clients' sake, you communicate better in person than you do online!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Electrode,

My resume. Partial informal resume is in the last post to 'psycho_monkey'(feel free to read it). You got $20,000.00, and a project I might want to get involved with, negotiate it with my attorney, and you can see the rest of my resume. So 'Ante Up' with the money, or stand down. Outside of that I'm starting to think I'm wasting time replying to posts from you. And, if you do have a serious project, make sure you post at least a partial resume up here of yourself so I can discern if it's even worth getting in touch with my attorney. You sound like 'sour grapes' in your not wanting to embrace the new technology. Stop hating on it. And, regarding SSL I'm sure they will get back to you. I've never had a bad experience with them.

Rob G..

I am not hating on anyone, Rob. SSL are a great company... I asked a very simple question that you allude to knowing the answer to... but you avoid directly answering it time and time again.

So once again, have you confirmed with SSL that when the A-FADA system opens a session from my protools only suite, it will open it with the same sonic results (level balance, fade envelopes, etc)?

Its a simple question about the capabilities of A-FADA. Inquiring minds want to know. Why do you feel it is an attack on SSL?

PS. $20K wouldn't cover my startup costs. Start by acquiring a license for HUI, along with the specs and you will get the picture.

PPS. If you are serious about investing in it. Figure about $500,000 worth of investment... expect a huge loss. You won't make your money back...
Old 30th March 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Designers don't find it sexy digging in the old dirt. Data communication specs of SSL E/G +++, GML ... is old dirt.

I - on the other hand - is quite fond of old dirt. Hence, I've developed:

USB interface for EMT140 for preset/saving.

USB interface for studer A80 for arming and control from computer app.

.. And finally. USB interface for SSL E/G consoles.

The SSL thingy development is now on its 3rd year and counting. 2 friends help me now and then.
Spent around $40.000 so far. Only on parts and test equipment. No salary involved.
Someone said 8000 consoles was shipped all together. If 4000 is still up and running and 400 owners buy my system for $10.000 I still won't earn.

But. I still have an AWESOME automation system on my own G6000.
Old 30th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
PPS. If you are serious about investing in it. Figure about $500,000 worth of investment... expect a huge loss. You won't make your money back...

I'd put $500,000 on the fact that you are 100% wrong and it would not cost $500,000.

If you can think outside of the box, you would not just go dump a bunch of capital in paying a bunch of engineers to get the job done. You would find knowledgeable people that want the same goal as you that can do the job themselves because the bottom line is sad and simple- the system would be lucky to break even. However.... I think it would possibly create a higher demand for analogue desks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle G ➑️
Designers don't find it sexy digging in the old dirt. Data communication specs of SSL E/G +++, GML ... is old dirt.

The SSL thingy development is now on its 3rd year and counting. 2 friends help me now and then.
Spent around $40.000 so far. Only on parts and test equipment. No salary involved.
Someone said 8000 consoles was shipped all together. If 4000 is still up and running and 400 owners buy my system for $10.000 I still won't earn.

Thats awesome!!

Please keep us updated!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dang,

The line is going out the door and around the block for people looking for replies back from me. Hmmm maybe I need to hire another intern to keep up with what's happening on this this thread(I like stirring up the natives every now and then for a good cause too, a little controversy won't hurt anybody). And, heads up. Those looking for a reply from me make sure you read this thread from the beginning(required reading) to make sure you dont misquote, or slant what I've said(people are notorious on gearslutz for misquoting and taking things out of context).

I'll try to get back with you all in the next week or two(more holidays are upon usheh). In the meantime let the post and views count keep rising. Y'all have a good weekend!

Rob G..

P.S.: 'Electrode' & 'psycho_monkey' keep the crab pot nice and stirred up for when I jump back in hear, ya hear while my focus and concerns are elsewhere. No worries here. Easy
Old 31st March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Christ on a bike, what a load of nonsense this thread turned into...
Old 14th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Back in hearyah! What's been happening around these parts since I last checked in?

Rob G..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
iPhone browsing..my bad. How much do you think the development cost is?

So a-fada imports ssl g automation data now?

Of course it can play back daw automation...it IS daw automation! Thats not what your thread asked, as far as i understand it. What I want YOU to answer is...does a fader ride in analogue sound the same as on PT...? Cos if not (and it doesn't) what's the point? If you have to correct it, why not do it from scratch? The whole "importing g series automation" thing is a) impractical b) totally unrealistic costwise and c) kinda pointless.

You may (erroneously) think I'm a slowcoach...I think you're a dreamer with no grounding in reality.

I think this'll be my last post in this thread. If you wish to have the last word, feel free. I will check out the video, but I'm pretty sure it won't show me anything new.

And I hope for your clients' sake, you communicate better in person than you do online!

psycho_monkey,

Fader ride in analogue for all the reasons everybody has discussed earlier in this thread may not be 'exactly' the same. But, for my purposes close enough(and for that matter other peoples purposes too). Check in with [email protected] for the low down.

Rob G..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Breaux ➑️
I'd put $500,000 on the fact that you are 100% wrong and it would not cost $500,000.

If you can think outside of the box, you would not just go dump a bunch of capital in paying a bunch of engineers to get the job done. You would find knowledgeable people that want the same goal as you that can do the job themselves because the bottom line is sad and simple- the system would be lucky to break even. However.... I think it would possibly create a higher demand for analogue desks.

Alex Breaux,

I think I definatly agree with you here(analog console demand).

Rob G..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle G ➑️

Pelle G,

Really? If so I'm interested. I said something in an earlier post on this thread about a consortium getting set up to do these kinds of things. Of course some people around here think I'm fantasizing. But, I bet before MIDI came into being, then became a standard, a bunch of people probably said it wouldn't work, or would be of no use.

Rob G..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I am not hating on anyone, Rob. SSL are a great company... I asked a very simple question that you allude to knowing the answer to... but you avoid directly answering it time and time again.

So once again, have you confirmed with SSL that when the A-FADA system opens a session from my protools only suite, it will open it with the same sonic results (level balance, fade envelopes, etc)?

Its a simple question about the capabilities of A-FADA. Inquiring minds want to know. Why do you feel it is an attack on SSL?

PS. $20K wouldn't cover my startup costs. Start by acquiring a license for HUI, along with the specs and you will get the picture.

Electrode,

Not trying to allude to anything. Also not trying to avoid giving you an answer. A FADA is going to only be as accurate as HUI. A FADA does use Ethernet MIDI vs. old school MIDI connection. Ethernet give tighter link/communication between devices so things should write/playback with a higher degree of accuracy.

And, upfront the nitty gritty of how SSL got it to work, once again I refer you to [email protected] to get the low down on how it functions, & how well it functions. All I do know is that people like it, & want it on other SSL devices.

Rob G..
Old 15th April 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Electrode,

Not trying to allude to anything. Also not trying to avoid giving you an answer. A FADA is going to only be as accurate as HUI. A FADA does use Ethernet MIDI vs. old school MIDI connection. Ethernet give tighter link/communication between devices so things should write/playback with a higher degree of accuracy.
HUI itself is just a digital instructional language. Consider it like midi, or even a composed music score. The accuracy is really down to how well a system interprets the instructions, rather than the accuracy of the instructions themselves. Make sense?

Correlating dB value and fader position isn't part of the HUI protocol.

Quote:
And, upfront the nitty gritty of how SSL got it to work, once again I refer you to [email protected] to get the low down on how it functions, & how well it functions. All I do know is that people like it, & want it on other SSL devices.

Rob G..
I have asked the fine chaps at SSL in a number of ways... I still haven't received confirmation... or even a reply in most instances. I can certainly see the benefit of A-FADA. It is a very smart approach combining two digital systems within a studio (automation & daw) into just one. Which SSL user on the planet wouldn't prefer to work like that?

What hasn't been answered is whether it has any worth as universal automation. Can my protools automation be accurately used on your A-FADA system and vice versa... or are the HUI instructions only read correctly by the system that wrote them.

Its a simple question... but appears to be quite tricky to find an answer.
Old 16th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
HUI itself is just a digital instructional language. Consider it like midi, or even a composed music score. The accuracy is really down to how well a system interprets the instructions, rather than the accuracy of the instructions themselves. Make sense?

Correlating dB value and fader position isn't part of the HUI protocol.

I have asked the fine chaps at SSL in a number of ways... I still haven't received confirmation... or even a reply in most instances. I can certainly see the benefit of A-FADA. It is a very smart approach combining two digital systems within a studio (automation & daw) into just one. Which SSL user on the planet wouldn't prefer to work like that?

What hasn't been answered is whether it has any worth as universal automation. Can my protools automation be accurately used on your A-FADA system and vice versa... or are the HUI instructions only read correctly by the system that wrote them.

Its a simple question... but appears to be quite tricky to find an answer.

Electrode,

I'm sure someone from SSL will get back to you with an answer, & a complete one.

Rob G..
πŸ“ Reply