The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ssl axiom+ on ebay for 20.000€ buy now
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

ssl axiom+ on ebay for 20.000€ buy now

hi fellow slutz,

is this the ultimate buy or is it a normal pricing ?
it's not superanalogue but fully digital (and no good ?)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from ebay :
Super console for MIXING/RECORDING/TRACKING/FILM.

32 frame,dual 24 channels loaded,patchpanel site.

Analogue 48 IN/OUT.

Digital AES/EBU IN/OUT.

The system is from 2000-2001 and almost new.cost over 150K euro

Included: Axiom proccesor,hubrouter,analog+digital RIO,cables.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i didn't plan an upgrade like this for at least 5 yrs but now
i'm thinking of maybe a little loan ....

help me out

thx!
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

ebay?

Do you have a link ? I couldn't find it .

The axiom+ is and all digital console . The pres are similar to 9J . Not bad .

The automation is very good . If it's the MT+ with the latest soft it might have the analog EQ emulation as the C200 ( E/G ; 20-20 ;Standard) . The dynamics are different though .
The change in MT+ is a real big change ( they even change the cards) so be sure to know which version it is . If it's a MT+ it's a bargain .

Volodia
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Would you share the link?
Old 16th May 2006
I don't like the way there's no full shot of it. For all you know from those pictures, half of it might be missing.

It does seem like a bargain though. Are the eqs analog or digital?
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS
It does seem like a bargain though. Are the eqs analog or digital?
Digital EQ, it's a full digital desk, except for the pre-amps of course.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Who's selling this? Galaxy studios?

It looks like a bargain but besides greater workflow and serious WOW factor is this going to sound better then the new Duende ?

Still impressive desk though!
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony666
Who's selling this? Galaxy studios?
No, they never had Axioms.

I believe Chris Lambrechts knows the seller. Afaik, it's a guy that bought a lot of 3 SSL Axioms, and is keeping one for himself and selling the others.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've worked on a similar one for some time (when I was assistant eng)...was an MT+ though. Most people I was assisting for (I guess around 1998-1999) who tried it didn't like it that much and returned to their beloved analog consoles. I must say it was a music-only studio (no post, film, broadcast)...Most common complaints: sounds nothing like an SSL, learning curve too steep. Most heard plus: bay swapping from center section...downside: you gain weight, cause you found a way to get rid of the tiny bit of excercise you had on a daily basis, hovering towards the outer edges of your console...
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTinPanAll
hi fellow slutz,

is this the ultimate buy or is it a normal pricing ?
it's not superanalogue but fully digital (and no good ?)

from ebay :
Super console for MIXING/RECORDING/TRACKING/FILM.

32 frame,dual 24 channels loaded,patchpanel site.

Analogue 48 IN/OUT.

Digital AES/EBU IN/OUT.

The system is from 2000-2001 and almost new.cost over 150K euro

Included: Axiom proccesor,hubrouter,analog+digital RIO,cables.

i didn't plan an upgrade like this for at least 5 yrs but now
i'm thinking of maybe a little loan ....

help me out

thx!

I know the guy and the Axiom is sold. He has another one though, a 48 frame with 40 channels loaded but the Axiom always has 96 digital IO and 48IO. This one has 36 Mic Pres. How much you think this console would be worth? Would you trade a 6000 analogue for an Axiom?

Regards
Old 22nd June 2006
Gear Maniac

You guys are talking 'bout JP from studio Artsound, right ?
I went to his studio today & was very surprised to see, or better, not to see his SSL 4k....
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

To Axiom or not to Axiom,
that's the question ...
i bought the smallest one of the lot
well, it's my first SSL
i actually never thought i'd own one,
it's not a 9000 off course,
but JP says it sounds better than a 4000 !!
i'm rebuilding the control room now,
but i'll let you all know how it sounds in a couple of weeks

cheers,

wim
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence_o
I know the guy and the Axiom is sold.
Doesn't look sold. The auction is still up.
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lectra
You guys are talking 'bout JP from studio Artsound, right ?
I went to his studio today & was very surprised to see, or better, not to see his SSL 4k....

Yes it is JP at Artsound. The 4000 he had before was indeed a good looking desk but I've owned it too. (see my avatar?) And although a truly fantastic console, it was in need of some service when I changed it with JP for the 6K I have now. A pitty, that 4K looked awesome!

The Axiom he has now does sound 5 times as good though. I have been checking it out and we compared mixes JP did on the 4K and on the Axiom. You may hate it but the Axiom mixes sound crispier, wider and more transparant than the 4K mixes.

Also, automation is way cooler on the axiom then on the 4K. You really have total recall with moving faders, you just press 1 button and move the fader in the mix and voila, that's just it. Great console. I know people like to bash on it but I guess those people never really worked on AND a 4K AND an axiom...

Actually, My 6000E/G is in perfect condition and I'm selling it because I want an Axiom. Call me stupid, call me silly but I heard the difference and there's no way a 4K can live up to the Axiom.

Cheers.
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTinPanAll
To Axiom or not to Axiom,
that's the question ...
i bought the smallest one of the lot
well, it's my first SSL
i actually never thought i'd own one,
it's not a 9000 off course,
but JP says it sounds better than a 4000 !!
i'm rebuilding the control room now,
but i'll let you all know how it sounds in a couple of weeks

cheers,

wim
Hey Wim, we'll stick to english cause the other slutz here won't understand Antwaarps ;-)

So you are the guy who baught the small Axiom? You'll be happy with it. SSL doesn't make crap and don't be too sure it's no 9000. You got the same Mic Pre's from the 9000J! You can control 96 digital channels and I believe 48 analogue channels. There seems to be something of a negative hype towards these axioms but they are very good sounding consoles and I believe those who bash the axiom are just overall digital haters. As I said, I'm planning on getting the other Axiom from JP. He's a nice trustworthy guy. It would be my 3rd SSL I get from him and he has always been very correct, very friendly and very honest with me. All my consoles were in good condition. Be happy with your Axiom, there will only be 3 of us in Belgium who can deliver that quality.

Been talking to guys who have been over at Galaxy in Mol and trust me, although it's a very outstanding studio, with your gear, you should be able to get comparable results.

Cheers
Lawrence.
By the way, you're in Antwerp? I'm in Tisselt/Willebroek, that's about 15 to 20 minutes away.
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon
Doesn't look sold. The auction is still up.
Can't see it really...
Cheers
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Does the desk sample rate goes only up to 48khz?
Old 22nd June 2006
Han
Lives for gear

Studio Arnold Muhren has an Axiom installed and it was presented there as well by the importer there in a show some 6 or 7 years back. Arnold had a 4000 by then.

Some guy from SSL was explaining everything to us visitors and when I asked him how it sounded, he asked me what board I was using. A DDA-AMR sir, I answered him. Then your board sounds better he said, mmmmmm.............
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black
Does the desk sample rate goes only up to 48khz?
Yep, only 48kHz. But sample rates beyond are irrelevant when the converter design is superior, really. Can't compare it with any digi crap.

Cheers
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han
Studio Arnold Muhren has an Axiom installed and it was presented there as well by the importer there in a show some 6 or 7 years back. Arnold had a 4000 by then.

Some guy from SSL was explaining everything to us visitors and when I asked him how it sounded, he asked me what board I was using. A DDA-AMR sir, I answered him. Then your board sounds better he said, mmmmmm.............

Well I'm sure he meant it all the way

I am working on an SSL6000 at the moment which is a 4000 plus extra gadgets. For sure, the Axiom sounds better. Anyway, at that level, it's the man behind the machine that makes the difference.
Old 20th November 2006
Here for the gear

****YES WIM go for the AXIOM***

AXIOM AND AXIOM MT USERS WORLDWIDE: 15/11/2006
------------------------------------------------------

StarCity Recording Purchases SSL Axiom MT

Jun 2, 2006 4:56 PM

StarCity Recording Company in Bethlehem, Pa.,
expanded its facility with a custom-designed SSL Axiom MT digital multitrack console.
The MT is designed specifically for multitrack recording, overdub and mixing applications.

Glixman traveled to Europe to “test drive” the AXIOM, previously owned by producer Mutt Lange,
who used the console to record Shania Twain’s recent double-album. “The EQ sounds incredible,
the compressors do everything I want them to do and the flexibility
of this desk is just amazing,” Glixman enthuses. “I’m knocked out with the sound of it.”
For more information, visit www.solid-state-logic.com and www.starcityrecording.com.

Solid State Logic Features Axiom-MT Digital Multi-Track Console at AES

SSL’s attention to the needs of today’s top engineers, such as Chuck Ainlay,
Derek Bason, Bob Bullock, Dana Jon Chappelle, Humberto Gatica, Dan Gellert,
Eddie Kramer, Justin Niebank and Bruce Swedien have made the MT the digital console
of choice for sonic clarity, system flexibility and reliability. At the AES,
the best is now even better with significant hardware and software enhancements,
responding to the requests of the industry.

More than 40 Axiom-MTs have been sold worldwide, including Skip Saylor Recording
in Los Angeles, Kampo Recording, Quad and Avatar in New York,
Backstage Studio at Soundstage in Nashville, Mega Studios and Blue Sound in Paris,
and MG Sound in Vienna. The Axiom-MT has also been installed in four trucks:
Sheffield Remote Recordings in Phoenix, MD, Manor Mobile in the UK, and Le Voyageur
and Euromedia in Paris.

For more information, visit their web site at www.solid-state-logic.com.

FILENAME: /var/www/im0/htdocs/109AES/Content/SSL/PR/XML/Axiom-MT

Part of that revamp involved contracting John Storyk to design Studio C,
to get the job done right, Abrash says. The control room saw the early '99 installation
of an SSL Axiom digital console, a move Abrash admits was a calculated gamble but has
since paid off. I wanted to put something that was going to not only be current, but was
also going to be future-ready as well, he says. We've had 100 percent success with the Axiom.
Our installation went off without a hitch, and we've had nothing but positive feedback from
the engineers who have sessioned on the board, including Bruce Swedien,
Eddie Kramer and Ray Bardini.

Unlike many of the digital boards out there, the Axiom is very user-friendly, Abrash continues,
especially because it so closely resembles the hugely successful J Series console.
That was a significant factor. I knew I wanted to go digital and provide
the best possible fidelity for mixing projects off of Pro Tools and other
high-quality source machines.

After installing the 96-input Axiom into the same space where he previously had a 40-input SSL E Series,
Abrash began to market Kampo's surround capabilities. Studio C is very unique in New York,
because it's a surround-ready room. There's nothing you've got to plug in or patch or anything.
I've got everything from the monitor systems to the mixdown machine [Tascam DA-78, 24-bit 8-track].
One of the more exciting projects to make use of the 5.1 capabilities was the remixing of Jimi Hendrix's
Isle of Wight performance for DVD. Eddie Kramer did some amazing things manipulating those old tapes
to provide a rich, real-sounding concert experience. It was a thrill to witness him pull out that
classic Hendrix sound, the Eddie Kramer sound.

“We were aware of SSL’s audio quality because Ubisoft’s Canadian sound studio,
based in Montreal, is running an Axiom MT and we were previously mixing in top class SSL facilities
such as Guillaume Tell and Mega Studio in Paris.” says Vernimmen. “When we started looking at consoles,
our choice criteria included stunning sound quality, 5.1 capability in both
music and sync-to-picture sessions, extremely user friendly interface and design,
an ability to deal with our hectic multiple-projects-in-a-day production rhythm and
great after-sales support. It seemed to us that the Axiom mixing console fitted all our criteria and
therefore offered the best solution for our needs.”

Dutasta adds: “We are really pleased with our new console. LudiFactory’s aim is to give the video games market the best sound experience possible and the SSL Axiom is fully part of that goal. It doesn’t sound ‘digital’; it sounds amazing, and we are very reassured by SSL’s reputation for quality after-sales support.”

LudiFactory is currently working on Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon-Advanced Warfighter™. Other recent projects have included Ubisoft’s Cold Fear™, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon-2™, Rayman™ brand games and a number of E3 trailers

Caption
Here for the gear

FOR HAN

Hi Han,

nice to hear that you use a DDA AMR (as you write that it sounds better than a SSL)this is a very low budget mixing console and sounds like BUSJE KOMT ZO ! go for it.

Hans.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search