The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mytek StudioClock 192 & Mytek/different converters
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Head

Mytek StudioClock 192 & Mytek/different converters

If I have the Mytek StudioClock 192, and an A/D converter that uses chips similar/equal to what Mytek uses, will I have the Mytek sound? basically would it sound as good as Mytek's 8x192 A/D?
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Head

^^bump, for attention.
Old 17th May 2006
I am no electrical engineer, but it seems the analog section of the converter would make a big impact in the overall sound.

And...
based on what I have heard many others say. the complete design means more than the chips by themselves. Even component placement and circuit layout are said to make a difference(Apogee designer interview in TAPEOP).

David
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpasch
I am no electrical engineer, but it seems the analog section of the converter would make a big impact in the overall sound.

David
This is very true. While the StudioClock is an extremely good master clock it cannot be expected to bring up any old converter to the standards of the 8x192. Converters as well as any other piece of studio gear have to be looked at as a system rather then as various components to be improved upon externally. Please keep in mind that the 8x192 has six clock outputs on it, so it can serve as a "house" clock itself as well as providing 8 ins and 8 outs of worldclass conversion, as well as format conversion. The StudioClock192 is best considered as something that is used to provide rock solid clock to a variety of digital devices. There are some devices that it will improve the sound of dramatically, and there will be others where it won't. If you have any questions about it please let me know. Thanks.
Old 27th September 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpasch View Post

And...
based on what I have heard many others say. the complete design means more than the chips by themselves. Even component placement and circuit layout are said to make a difference(Apogee designer interview in TAPEOP).

David
I agree with what Ap. guy says. The clock is only part of equasion. If you want it to sound like Mytek, get a Mytek, which has Mytek Clock, Mytek parts selection, Mytek circuit topology, Mytek layout and Mytek power supply.

Regards

Michal www.mytekdigital.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search