The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Overproduced
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Chicken or the egg? Autotune & technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Lather, rinse, repeat.

Seriously, would products like AutoTune and Beat Detective even exist if the level of musicianship of every band that set foot in the studio these days was as high as that of, oh, I dunno, the session guys that were playing on dogfood jingles 35 years ago?
Sorry, I don't buy it. Autotune and Beat Detective is NOT responsible for the state of music. They are just tools. Someone made them because someone would buy them and use them. I guarantee it wasn't because some R&D guy said, "Boy, music is so bad, let's try and make the world a better place and make these things..." or better "Let's ruin music and infect the world with these tools (hoo ha ha ha... evil laugh)!"

They are JUST tools. They would exist because progress has ALWAYS put new music tools out there and as they came, musicians used them. I could go on and on about the Beatles using this and that as it came out, you have to see Autotune and Beat Detective the same way and just because they get abused and used badly doesn't make them responsible.

Rock lives. Great music lives. What the Irish guy said is F*ckin' right! WE can get all distracted with the twinkly objects and blame everything on this, that and the other.

YOU don't like the state of music and HOW it is being done?

GO write the next great Rock song or Electronica song or Punk song or NEW song.

Sorry, this is not so much at you as it is to the whole idea in many posts above.

-a

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Write it or write about it!

For EVERY generation we remember the ONE Bob Marley or Beatles or Stones, we forget the thousands of crap bands... that is JUST like today and only time will tell who tomorrow's legends will be.

And the technology isn't to blame, the best of the best talent will use the tools of today the right way and the rest may abuse them.

And the labels may be conglomerated, constrictive and have stopped developing talent, but a new way of getting and making music will come... and is.

Complain about it or do something about it, as I see it those are really the only two choices and as I write this, I'm guilty, so I'm shutting up now and going to make some music

-a

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

If it takes you 3 years to record 19 songs and you sell 15M copies ... is that overproduced? stike
Old 17th May 2006
Threads like this seem to pop up once a month so they've become as boring and predictable as the music they criticize.

There is amazing music out there if you know where to look. If you don't, then blame yourself for being ignorant or for losing touch. But don't blame popular music - it has ALWAYS been cheesy.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear
you could ALWAYS hire studio players who could technically play anything and play rings around band guys... but bands were still always more interesting.

You hire high priced studio guys you get the jingle... even if it's the 4 minute jingle.

but anyway... I found myslef in recent years producing a few hardcore/emo/whatever bands and I have to say I disagree...

I think that many of them ARE the real deal and that the scene in general is more vital and real than most rock scenes these days.

they write songs, practise, and go out in a van and PLAY for fans who like their style of music and who can be very loyal.
they build their followings the old fashioned way.

and without any of the indie-band pretension that's built up since the mid-90's.

when i started going to the "emo" clubs I started to feel again like 'wow, there really IS still a grass roots rock scene with some life in it.'
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
There ya go - THIS is what I meant to say :
Now, these days, please tell me : Where are the Bob Dylans, Van Morrissons, James Taylors ? Where are the Sly Stones, Aretha Franklins, James Browns ?
Where are the REAL musicians and singers with a message ?
Oh.. Coldplay ? uh Britney Speaers ? uh whats the name of that white rapper boy oh yes Eminem ?
My ass
That music is NOTHING comparing to what happened in the 60ties and the 70ties and no-one has been doing it eversince - Hardly. Everynow and then something REAL pops up.
Mostly, it's trying to sound like this guy, or trying to be 'Beatlesque' - Or wanting that guitarsound from deep purple or ...
THAT is why rock is being mikxed bowing, because it is PLAYED boring and the lyrics dont have any charge.
Now, if you feel I dont know what I am talking about, then please, give me some URL's to some decent, up to date Rock music that I can check out and I will be very very happy to change my opinion about the strong statement I made here.

Thanks MDM

Wolfmother, Metric (as guitarists go, this guy would have been a great influence in a previous era), Death From Above 1979, the Dears, definetly check out the dears, candas has it goin on(with a few choice exeptions) , wolfmother is from au tho!

there is way way too much ****ty rock music, its all to the grid, with no performance to it, way too clean sounds getting way to much play , imho.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman
you could ALWAYS hire studio players who could technically play anything and play rings around band guys... but bands were still always more interesting.

You hire high priced studio guys you get the jingle... even if it's the 4 minute jingle.

but anyway... I found myslef in recent years producing a few hardcore/emo/whatever bands and I have to say I disagree...

I think that many of them ARE the real deal and that the scene in general is more vital and real than most rock scenes these days.

they write songs, practise, and go out in a van and PLAY for fans who like their style of music and who can be very loyal.
they build their followings the old fashioned way.

and without any of the indie-band pretension that's built up since the mid-90's.

when i started going to the "emo" clubs I started to feel again like 'wow, there really IS still a grass roots rock scene with some life in it.'
Couldn't agree more.

I am doing emo-rock only the last two years and it's fun to see how some bands progress. I had one band in last year producing their first full-length album. I did their first demo 2 years prior to that and that was basically a demo of a beginning band with a good singer and some good songs.
After two years and 100plus shows, their playing hat tightened up tremendously. I personally think they recorded a great album and have found an indy lable that is helping them get their album sold. They are touring a lot now (supporting and playing with Jonathan Far) and the lable is investigating the possibility to do a video and a first real single launch (they are already getting quite a bit of national radio airplay).

Chances are we are going to do their next cd next year with a pretty decent budget.

And they are not an exception.

Noone of them is interested in anything on MTV nor are they interested in copying anybody. They want to get their music across.

The music is still out there, it's where the bands are playing.

Producing or overproducing is a non-issue when I work with them. They want their music to sound as good as possible. Yes we use some of the tools available (a little autotune here and there, some copying of well performed parts, a little editing here and there), but it still is about a band playing their songs.

I like it.

Now, did DAWs have a negative influence on over producing?
Well, I guess people started LOOKING at music in stead of listening with the introduction of the DAW...

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Uhh...

...Sorry, my brain got overwhelmed by the A Designs ad up top.

Pretty.

I'm starting a new thread, "Examples of Overproduced Songs/Albums".

Damn that's a pretty ad.

David

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search