The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Placement for Overheads and 1-2 other mics on Drums?
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Head

Best Placement for Overheads and 1-2 other mics on Drums?

Okay so.. I'm using a pair of Coles 4038's for drum overheads, going into a pair of API 512c's feeding into a Chandler TG1 limiter/compressor into ProTools. The problem is I dont have more decent pre amps for say... snare and more mics. I'm also renting a Distressor and a Royer 121 which i was thinking of trying infront of the kit to catch more of the kick or close mic the kick with it and then use a shure sm57 on the snare. I'd use the distressor prolly on the snare but then.... I guess I could use the API 550 eq's on the royer for the kick and maybe re amp the kick through the distressor or chandler? The other 2 pre's I'll be using (kick and snare) are going to have to be a FMR audio RNP/RNC setup.

You guys think this will still sound pretty damn good? Advice on Overheads to get the most out of the stereo mic approach and then accent with the kick and snare?

CANT WAIT TO HEAR YOUR ADVICE!!! Thanks so much!!!!
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'd go with the recordermans method. IE OH's equadistant from eachother as well as kick (do a search you'll find it).

R121 as a mono FOK (maybe 5-6 feet away) and I'd probably mic the snare from the bottom in this case. I think you need a kick mic though, moreso than the snare.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search