The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WTD: Recommendation for Monitor Speaker Limiting
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

WTD: Recommendation for Monitor Speaker Limiting

I need a temporary (6 month) solution to restrict the volume of my big mains. People keep damaging the mid and high drivers due to rediculous volumes. I have extremely power-rich audiophile monoblock amplifiers, so distortion is not the issue. Regardless, I don't want anymore outrageously loud sessions on my babies anymore.

Can any one recommend a low cost stereo limiter that stands above the rest? It can be analog or digital and just needs to fill end while I save for a high end crossover, limiter, eq solution.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

So do your amps have attenuators? If so, turn them down. Or put something like NHT PVC between your output device and the amps, set it so when the output device is set to max it won't damage the speakers.

Steve
Old 15th May 2006
One with big hooves

I know this is fairly un-high end...but if you need an EQ too & are in a budget crunch the higher-end dbx graphic EQ's are pretty serviceable.

I had Urei 809's in one of my old rooms with one of these EQ's just before the power amp.

I put some earplugs in and used & SPL meter to balance it all out...set the limiter so it would start to kick in around 108dB C-weighted but the rig wouldn't get ANY louder then 110-112dB. If someone tried to push it harder by cranking the console master they'd just hit the limiter harder.

Not the cleanest thing in the world...but its "OK."

If you can throw more bread at it right now the BSS Omnidrive is hella' cool...the limiting is WAY better and it'll have all your crossovers & time alignment stuff there and it's just cleaner overall.

You can also store presets so you can setup a "clean, no limiter" version for you & have an EQ'd & limited preset for those crankin' sessions with other engineers. I've got no idea what they go for but we had one at my old house club gig that was protecting a 12,000 watt Meyer rig. Whatever it cost was worth it!

Sabine makes a similar thing too but I haven't spent any time with it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search