The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me choose a power amp.
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Head

Help me choose a power amp.

Should I be posting in the Low end or high end forum? How expensive is "expenive stuff"?

I've just got a pair of PMC TB2s+ speakers and an XB1 subwoofer (>$2000), which combined can handle 500W. At the moment I'm running them off a fairly crappy NAD 214 amp, which only outputs 80W per channel.

I want to get a 250 wpc power amp to run these speakers... Any suggestions? I've heard good things about the Bryston 4B, but a new one would be too expensive. Are the older ones still good?

What about getting another NAD 214 and running two of them in bridge mode, whereby they can output 240W each.

Apart from these suggestions, can anyone recommend me some other amps to check out for up to about £400 (I'd look for a second hand one, so you can suggest amps that cost more new.)

Thanks.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

The older Brystons don't suck. Try Audiogon.com
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

You're in the right place. That is a nice setup. I have a couple pairs of TB2+. In one room they are running from Bel Canto eVo 200.2 (120 wpc), a wonderful matchup. I can get all the level I need from that in the 2500 cubic ft space. You can bridge these to run dual mono, should be able to buy used for around $900 each. Bel Canto makes a range of models, so more power is available if you want. Very fast, articulate amplifiers.

Before I got the eVo, I was using 25 wpc McIntosh, and that is a beautiful sound as well. The PMC ran fine with that little amp, although of course not the high SPL.

In my bigger room (4500 cu ft), I biamp with a 650 wpc Carver m1.5t on bass, and Denon 100 wpc on treble. Very powerful, and the TB2 work great with it.

I don't know your NAD amp. If you say it is no good then get rid of it instead of adding another. PMC is very revealing and will show what the amp can do.

I highly recommend Kubala-Sosna speaker cables with these monitors. Just outstanding.

Steve
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Head

remember that I've got to drive the sub too, so I need more than 120wpc.

Can you recommend a class A 250-300wpc amp with specs similar to or better than the 4B?

thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search