The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TLM49 First Impressions Condenser Microphones
Old 12th August 2007
I agree that I hear a certain richness with the mic that is typial Neumann sound which I like. Would you all agree the TLM49 has a better top end over the TLM 103 and TLM 127?
Old 13th August 2007
Lives for gear

I like the top end better on the 49 over the 103.
Old 13th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Top end is more "natural"...as in, it doesn't sound "hyped"....don't you hate the buzzwords !

I've used it mostly on tenor voices (which I am also) and get good to great results, depending on whether the singer is good or great (pre is a Pacifica 95% of the time).

BW
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

I been looking on ebay and here. You can't find this mic used.. It actually must be a pretty good mic.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

The more I use it the more I really like this mic. It sounds really good on male vox and acoustic guitars. It takes eq pretty well too...
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone try this mic with rappers?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watersound View Post
The more I use it the more I really like this mic. It sounds really good on male vox and acoustic guitars. It takes eq pretty well too...
Interesting comment Watersound. Looking at the frequency plot, it looks quite talyored with not as much scope for EQ as other more 'netural' mics. Looking forward to getting mine.Will report me findings here.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

i bought one, i bought into all the 'hype' here!!!

anyways, it's nice mic and sounds really good though it seems to accentuate some freq that are irritating in the vocalist i'm recording and it didn't work too well with my LA610 but partnered with my Onyx 800r it was great though the irritating freq were still there, they should be easy enough to tame with the waves C4 (that plug rocks) and sounds very natural and clear; pristine in fact! i love the Onyx though it's very sweet and clear and suits the TLM49 well i think
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I just got one few days ago, i used it threw an avalon m5 into a 737 with the gain on the 737 turned up a little and added a little on the upper freq on the 737 eq, than went into a dbx160a for peak limiting. I think the mic sounds excellent for a mic in the $1250 price range. I'm very happy with it. I have the mic slightly aimed downed looking at the ground, so my voice is'nt going directly into the capsule.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicl View Post
Interesting comment Watersound. Looking at the frequency plot, it looks quite talyored with not as much scope for EQ as other more 'netural' mics. Looking forward to getting mine.Will report me findings here.
I haven't seen the charts, but for my vocals this mic is very well suited. I wouldn't categorize it as big and warm sounding, it's clearer with more detail so for murky/muddy voices like mine it's perfect. It works well IMO on acoustics too because it's not as prone to being boomy. But as with many mics it has a nice proximity effect if you get up real close. I just did a vocal track with it this week and it took about 3-4 db of 12k very nicely. But that was also after passing it through a fatso.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

It is what it is, a vocal mic. Not much low end on the mic, which is great for most vocal work, very modern sounding. I paid $1250 new for it so i'm happy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search