The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TLM49 First Impressions Condenser Microphones
Old 11th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
To my old ears the sound of the 49 is much closer to the 87 i have.
What aspect or "quality" reminds you of the 87ai?
Old 11th September 2006
Gear Addict

Hi Popmann!

It was a very short test, harmony vocal with my voice. Simply said, my voice sounded rather similar on the TLM49 and the U87Ai. The TLM49 had a little less hi end. I did not expect that.

If tonights test with the lady shows a different result, i will report tomorrow.
Old 11th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1destiny View Post
I love the 149... When I biught it I shot it out aginst a u87 I owned at the time (most overrated mic of all time) and what sold me was the detail.
The U87 might be overpriced, but is certainly not overrated and has proven itself on countless sessions and records. On the other hand, many of these newer mics that have no track record, are overrated.
Old 11th September 2006
Lives for gear

I'd venture there have been more high profile pop vocals done with an M149 than a u87ai, actually...in terms of track record. That said, I love old 87s.

But, if the TLM49 has less high end than an AI, that's gonna count it out for me. I'll have to suck it up and go with the M149. thanks a lot, man.
Old 12th September 2006
Gear Addict

Good morning Popmann!

To my surprise there was much more hi end on the lady's voice than on mine. BUT it sounded a little phasey/exiterlike/unnatural.

How ever, the M149 was clearly better than the competitors. It was not a blind test, but she is not aware about the the different microphones and their prices. So it had the quality of a blind test. She picked out the M149 quickly.

If you like i can try to post those tracks in a couple of days. Please note, it was done very quickly, not profesional, and we didn't take care about the consistency of her singing. it is just a line of a dixie chicks song. To me that was ok to get the different sounds of the mikes.

nice day
Peter
Old 15th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmekGuy View Post
The U87 might be overpriced, but is certainly not overrated and has proven itself on countless sessions and records.
who cares if its proven its self for others, has it proven its self to you? is it even applicable in todays digital studio, it was designed for recording to tape.
i havnt a single good vocal from a U87AI and to me thats what matters not how much someone else likes it.
Old 15th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie View Post
who cares if its proven its self for others, has it proven its self to you?
Yes it has.

Quote:
i havnt a single good vocal from a U87AI and to me thats what matters not how much someone else likes it.
Some of the producers and clients I have worked with have specifically requested the U87 on sessions. Maybe the reason you can't get a good vocal is on your end and has nothing to do with the mic. The fact that you 'don't care ' might also be factor.
Old 15th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes it has.

Some of the producers and clients I have worked with have specifically requested the U87 on sessions.
The reason is that they know that they have had success with the mic I think. Not that they have tried 100 others and that it was the best.

I have a lot of the mics that have been mentioned, sans the M series Neumanns, but all have been loved and used. I love the TLM49 for medium to low register vocals, but it's not so airy or deep and rich. It captures incredibly well and sits at home in the mix in my opinion. Does it make me go aawwwww when I hear it? No, but the mic that does will sound like crap with a certain kind of vocalist in a certain kind of music. No and if or buts. I look ahead and think of what instruments are going to be around this vocal. For instance, the 30 seconds of a girl (no offense you did mention it was just a test) by herself could be washed away the minute keys, guitar and bass are added. SO I don't believe one can judge by this. I love tubes and warm feathery spongy ooooo sounds coming from the Pearlman, my AEA ribbon, etc. If I am going to fill the track, and I have an already smooth vocal, I will tend to go to the TLM49 or even my CAD Equiteks too. Just a thought. I don't mean to discriminate options.
Lou
Old 16th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg View Post
You definitely HAVE to be kidding - ?
The U87 has been around since 1967, and has always been a staple mic of professional (and small/project/home) studios. The M149 has only been around since 1995, and has not necessarily become a studio 'standard' (by which, I mean studios that have U47s, 67s, and 87s have not necessarily found the need to buy any). In Chicago, I know very few studios who have an M149, and very few who don't have U87s.

Perhaps more pop vocals in the LAST YEAR were done with an M149 versus a U87 (and perhaps NOT...), but historically I would guess that it's 100:1 in favor of an 87.

Which is only logical for a 30 year head start. And a freaking transformer.
Actually I think he said he loves U87s. Just not the new U87Ai, which many say is different. He said the AI compared to the M149. It still may be a tough statement to prove though.
Old 16th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
The M149 has only been around since 1995, and has not necessarily become a studio 'standard' (by which, I mean studios that have U47s, 67s, and 87s have not necessarily found the need to buy any).
Robbie Wiliiams, Rob Thomas, Sarah McLachlan, and Natasha Bedingfield are kinda...well, I'd venture if you want to go back over the last decade and look at who gets held up as a good vocalist, You're gonna see a lot of C800g and M149....along with a bunch of ELUX 251s. And you'll see the occassional vintage model. You don't just get to say "how many vocals"...but "how many vocal tracks by really good singers".

Often, the vintage models kill. Check the diff in Joss Stone on an old 67 on Herbie Hancock's record versus her normal C800g...the 67 is a better fit, IMO. I have nothing but price and reliability against vintage mics--there is NO doubt in my mind that there's a true magic to an old 67, for example. But, then, I've used a "repaired/modded" 67, which was still a good mic-but not nearly as "magic"...it's a kinda $5500 crap shoot.

And, yes, I like U87s a good deal. FWIW. Long time user.

Quote:
Perhaps more pop vocals in the LAST YEAR were done with an M149 versus a U87 (and perhaps NOT...), but historically I would guess that it's 100:1 in favor of an 87.
I agree completely...but, historically, we're also gonna have to say how many were cut to tape versus digital? There are a lot of variables...how many were mixed ITB, versus the amount of people hanging with their native software solutions talking about how 1+1=2, so software is the great leveler.

I really like the 87. I don't hate the AI, even. But, IMO, the M149 is just a better mic. But...that's obviously my opinion....and since I think modern "AI" models don't sound very similar at all to the old ones (and sure-they may be spit up or whatever)...I may be just crazy deaf.

...and it don't matter much to anyone else what I like and don't anyway. Least...it shouldn't. Go get the two for the day...local studio...rental house...decide for yourself. Heck, you'd hate how I don't use the M149 with a tranformer preamp, either!! What? NO tranny? Actually...I do usually compress at mix time with an old La3a, so...
Old 20th September 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
well, I'd venture if you want to go back over the last decade and look at who gets held up as a good vocalist, You're gonna see a lot of C800g and M149....along with a bunch of ELUX 251s. And you'll see the occassional vintage model. You don't just get to say "how many vocals"...but "how many vocal tracks by really good singers".
Karen Carpenter is one of my favorite singers and a really good one. Richard told me that they used a U-87 on all of her vocals recorded at A&M. Take a listen to some of their tracks. The mic had been released about one year before they started using it.

On the Neumann Berlin web site, survey results from 1987 show the U-87 was the most popular male vocal mic, being used by 24% for male voices and 21% for female voices.

http://www.neumann.com/?id=reports&lang=en

C. Park Seward

Last edited by C. Park Seward; 20th September 2006 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: adding information
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some of the producers and clients I have worked with have specifically requested the U87 on sessions. Maybe the reason you can't get a good vocal is on your end and has nothing to do with the mic. The fact that you 'don't care ' might also be factor.
if it works for the voices you get then good, its about getting the right mic for the right voice or instrument , im still waiting for the right voice. that’s not to say it wont ever work and often i have to make the tracks workable but if you get the right mic to start with you don’t have to work so hard when it comes time to mix it. until it can prove its self to me i don’t really care if other people like it the same goes for any mic. the U87 is one mic that has a name and often people assume its going to be good just because of the name the AI at least is trading on that name. it was made for the tape era, the response of the recording medium was nothing like it is today, ive found even using AC2 can tame tracks done with a u87.

if i didn’t care i would settle with the sound of the U87AI (in most cases anyway) as its workable but the fact that i do care means i try other mics as well, i still keep trying the U87AI. who cares what the name or the price tag is sometimes an SM58 just works better than anything else you might have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo View Post
The reason is that they know that they have had success with the mic I think. Not that they have tried 100 others and that it was the best.
exactly what i would say.

anyway, sorry for getting off topic. first thing i thought when the TLM49 came out of the box is its huge, even after seeing the pictures here i was surprised.

my main question is how versatile are people finding their TLM49, obviously its designed for vocals but is it getting used on much else? Acoustic guitar, violin etc
Old 16th October 2006
Here for the gear

my main question is how versatile are people finding their TLM49, obviously its designed for vocals but is it getting used on much else? Acoustic guitar, violin etc[/QUOTE]

Hi
new here...at least i found a forum like this...great !!!!

I recorded voice and flute with the TLM49 into SPL GOLDMIKE 2(low cut at 50Hz) - RME ADI 2 - Nuendo - Waves SSL EQ (took out about 1,5 db of 2500 -4000Hz) - urs 1975 comp ---- here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...119#post923119

Tell me what u think....
Old 21st October 2006
Lives for gear

the TLM 49 itself may not have a tube however...

rock vocals, TLM 49, into tube V72 mic pre, into original black-face 1176, into Pultec EQP1A3

giving me all the fat vintage Neumann tube thick cream goodness I could ever want!!!thumbsup

been doing exactly that all week.
Old 25th November 2006
Gear Addict

Just ran our new TLM 49 through a short voice session yesterday,thanks Soundbrokers!
Martech MSS-10 >TLM 49>Apogee 800.
It needs more gain than a M149 and a U87ai, ran it around -40 to -45 at unity gain on the Martech for general VO work.
It brings in less room than the others, that's really evident with the one sided cardiod capsule.
I was finding it very focused sounding, lacked some of the fat creamy fuss found in our M49's and U47's but for this woman with a pretty well rounded voice, good depth, this mic really sounded sweet for this application.
I needed to work on placement a bit more, for it was popping more than what I usually find in the 87's and 149's from experience.
No brittle-harsh top end found in the 103's, with a tight bottom but not boomy.
No eq,no compression would be needed that's for sure, and really shines with the super clean preamp.
I'm looking forward to hearing it through our 1073's and API's in coming days,with male voices.
Old 29th November 2006
Lives for gear

Especially low register vocals with proximity. Delicious!
Old 29th November 2006
Gear Nut

Which pre amp for TLM 49

Hi

I wonder which type of mic preamp would be generally more "suitable" for TLM 49 ?

Colored (a la GreatRiver) or clean (Hardy M1) ?

Thanks,

Sven
Old 29th November 2006
Gear Maniac

SveNaj,

Generally, I would opt for something on the clean side (like a Pacifica, which is what I use)...but it does depend on the source...to some degree, you are getting your "color" from the mic...which is why I opt for not "compounding" it by using a colored pre to build on that....of course, a Great River might be "Great" with the TLM49...again, depending on the voice (or instrument) being recorded....always best to try it first, if you're able...I don't have the GR, so take the above with a "grain of salt"...it works for me with a "clean" pre, hope it does for you !!!
BW
Old 1st December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindsor View Post
SveNaj,

Generally, I would opt for something on the clean side (like a Pacifica, which is what I use)...but it does depend on the source...to some degree, you are getting your "color" from the mic...which is why I opt for not "compounding" it by using a colored pre to build on that....of course, a Great River might be "Great" with the TLM49...again, depending on the voice (or instrument) being recorded....always best to try it first, if you're able...I don't have the GR, so take the above with a "grain of salt"...it works for me with a "clean" pre, hope it does for you !!!
BW

I agree with you on this. ...in general. but I have had luck with the M610 and the ADL which are not clean but they are high end enough to be transparent. Also with my Daking ( Trident/Neve kind of sound.) The TLM49 is not all the way tube sounding as it isn't a tube and it isn't a tranformer mic.
My opinion.
Old 2nd December 2006
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN View Post

Its got to have a transformer and valve: look and learn Neumann get it right try againtutt
Norah Jones NeumannM49. Michael Jackson Neumann U67. Nat King Cole Neuamnn U47/Barbra Streisand Neumann U47 George Michael Neumann U47
George Michael used a M49 for most the first solo albums (ie. Faith) which he purchased from PUK studios AFAIK, then switched to a Gefell UMT70S (Listen without prejudice) and on the next one (don't recall the name) was using a AT4060. I've never seen him using a U47, which doesn't mean he never used one BTW.

I also know that Barbara Streisand bought a M49 a couple of years ago.

My personal favourite too is a M49.

Now I would really like to know how the TLM49 fares against the M49.

Anyone tried that?

I don't think the TLM49 is supposed to sound similar to a U47, or they would have named it TLM47.

U47 and M49 are miles apart. I never cared for a U47 on my voice, whereas the M49 does wonders. The closest thing to a M49 I ever found was the Gefell UMT70S.
It's the less warm version of a M49 (surprise...it has no tube), but it has the same characteristics and is in the ballpark.
Old 4th December 2006
Gear Maniac

NoEgo,

That's good to know the TLM49 "plays well with others"...might be a Great River coming in the future !!!
Thanks, BW
Old 6th December 2006
Lives for gear

I use the TLM49 on vocals, and acoustic. I have quite a few pres though.
I like the TLM49 through a Grace Design and now the Dacs Clarity for acoustic and the 610 UA or ADL600 for Vocals. Just another thing. People say don't put through tube mics through tube pres. I say what ever works. The TLM is supposed to be developed to emulate a tube some, well who cares as long as it sounds good.
You can't give up on it with just a vocal sample, you have to hear it in a mix. When there is nothing you have to do to make it sit and you are happy with the sound, that is when a good mic does it's job. . Unless you are using it for voice overs, where I brought it to the local station for spots and it was admired by all.
My Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie View Post
if it works for the voices you get then good, its about getting the right mic for the right voice or instrument , im still waiting for the right voice. that’s not to say it wont ever work and often i have to make the tracks workable but if you get the right mic to start with you don’t have to work so hard when it comes time to mix it. until it can prove its self to me i don’t really care if other people like it the same goes for any mic. the U87 is one mic that has a name and often people assume its going to be good just because of the name the AI at least is trading on that name. it was made for the tape era, the response of the recording medium was nothing like it is today, ive found even using AC2 can tame tracks done with a u87.

if i didn’t care i would settle with the sound of the U87AI (in most cases anyway) as its workable but the fact that i do care means i try other mics as well, i still keep trying the U87AI. who cares what the name or the price tag is sometimes an SM58 just works better than anything else you might have.

exactly what i would say.

anyway, sorry for getting off topic. first thing i thought when the TLM49 came out of the box is its huge, even after seeing the pictures here i was surprised.

my main question is how versatile are people finding their TLM49, obviously its designed for vocals but is it getting used on much else? Acoustic guitar, violin etc
Old 6th December 2006
Lives for gear

the TLM49 uses the same cap as the U47 and M49, the K47, only the M49 is a dual cap. . No it's not a tube the TLM49 but it takes on the shape of a M49, and that is why the model number.( From Neumann's webpage....)

It has a narrow cardiod fixed pattern that really rejects for a large condensor.
I like it anyway, and ti is different than any other LD I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
George Michael used a M49 for most the first solo albums (ie. Faith) which he purchased from PUK studios AFAIK, then switched to a Gefell UMT70S (Listen without prejudice) and on the next one (don't recall the name) was using a AT4060. I've never seen him using a U47, which doesn't mean he never used one BTW.

I also know that Barbara Streisand bought a M49 a couple of years ago.

My personal favourite too is a M49.

Now I would really like to know how the TLM49 fares against the M49.

Anyone tried that?

I don't think the TLM49 is supposed to sound similar to a U47, or they would have named it TLM47.

U47 and M49 are miles apart. I never cared for a U47 on my voice, whereas the M49 does wonders. The closest thing to a M49 I ever found was the Gefell UMT70S.
It's the less warm version of a M49 (surprise...it has no tube), but it has the same characteristics and is in the ballpark.
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing View Post
In saying that, a clone will always be a clone. None of those brands will be remembered in 40-50 years time IMO.

How many 16 year-old girls have ever heard of neumann, pealrman, etc? You ever notice how little women care about a good snare sound -- it's like they only listen to the songs or something.

gear
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by europa78 View Post
How many 16 year-old girls have ever heard of neumann, pealrman, etc? You ever notice how little women care about a good snare sound -- it's like they only listen to the songs or something.

gear
ever noticed that all women, while nice for a while, usually end up needing to be shot!
Old 2nd February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcal View Post
ever noticed that all women, while nice for a while, usually end up needing to be shot!
Thats some funny s**t man. I damn near fell out of my chair! I guess it hit me just right!heh

M
Old 20th April 2007
Gear Nut

Guitar through TLM49 and Chandler TG2

I know it's been a while since anyone's posted but I thought I would put this up. It's an Avalon 200 Gold series guitar played about 8 inches from the mike at the thirteenth fret and going through a Chandler TG2 then through a Rosetta 200 into a 828MkII via S/PDIF. DP was the DAW and recorded at 24 bit, 44.1. The TLM49 was also inside a SE Reflexion filter for better isolation.

Let me know

Dan Carter
* DACARTmusic
Attached Files

TLM49 TG2 guitar 1.mp3 (1.02 MB, 1998 views)

Last edited by dacart; 20th April 2007 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Change Music File
Old 20th April 2007
I like the sound of that--I think it has the Neumann magic. I haven't heard an example of the TLM49 I didn't like. Thanks for posting that example.
Old 5th May 2007
Here for the gear

Elastic Suspension EA3

Hey,

I'm a longtime hobby recordist from Germany. After numerous Mic purchases I decided to get my first Neumann - the TLM49. This thread helped me a lot in finding my decision. So thanks to all of you!

I'm very satisfied with the TLM49 but I have some doubts about the EA3 elastic suspension. The TLM49 is rather hefty (850 g) but the elastic band in the suspension is rather thin. If the upper band ever rips off, the Mic will fall to the ground.

So I have some questions to you:
1) Did you ever have some trouble with elastic suspensions?
2) How long does the ribbon in the suspension last? Do I ever need to replace it?
3) Do you have some tips for proper using and taking care of elastic suspensions? How to protect the Mic from falling to the ground if the band rips?

Thanks in advance!
Maternus
Old 12th August 2007
Lives for gear

What kinda voices sound steller on this thing. Tenor, Soprano, baritone??? What kinda voice have really worked for u with this mic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search