The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TLM49 First Impressions Condenser Microphones
Old 24th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindsor
With all respect, in the end you are going to have to "buy it and try it" anyway before deciding, (check the return policy) and while I know these mini-reviews are just to get us "in the ballpark", I hope we all know it's just each mans opinion...while I might listen to the opinion of someone with "vast" experience, still doesn't mean I'll agree...after all, in the end it's "my" ears (or yours as the case may be) and I don't know about you, but for me "I'm" still the bottom line...of course you have to trust your own judgement...I do trust my own ears (damaged as they may be!) but it's surprising to me sometimes how many don't...in any case, I have the TLM49 and haven't found a situation where I "can't" make it work (although if I think I have a better mic in the cabinet for the source at hand I'll try it first, so that narrows it down a bit anyway)...are there "better" mics?...depends on the source, of course...that's why we own more than one mic.

I like it, but it's not all I like!!!

Good luck, BW
Yes Kudos for saying this.
I love my TLM49, Pearlman, U195 , R84 K2 Rode, NT5's, sm57's on different things. I use all my LD's on my vocals but on different songs that call for different mics. I will say the the TLM49 is a great mic for the price. It is not tube or transformer, and no that isn't the only one anyone wants like we said a few posts back. The TLM49 I think has a great combination of clarity and warmth, and not an extreme of either. Don't buy it if all you do is scream into a mic. It won't make you sound like Sinatra after.
You still have to use technique like any good mic.
Old 27th July 2006
Lives for gear

Forgive my dummy question: I got a TLM49 to try, but it seems its stand adapter is not compatible with my mic stand.

Is that a Neumann feature, how do I set it up/what do I have to buy (pics and exact names are welcome!) ?

Thanks!
Old 27th July 2006
Trp
Gear Addict

unscrew the adapter/winding, turn around 180 degrees and screw it back in.

this is a feature to make it compatible to two different sizes of windings.
Old 27th July 2006
Lives for gear

thanks, with the previous mics I never needed to do that
Old 27th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xist
Forgive my dummy question: I got a TLM49 to try, but it seems its stand adapter is not compatible with my mic stand.

Is that a Neumann feature, how do I set it up/what do I have to buy (pics and exact names are welcome!) ?

Thanks!

So what do you think of the mic Xist?
Old 27th July 2006
Lives for gear

I'll test it quickly tomorrow morning in a friends' studio. I'm still waiting for my BG1 to test it here.

By the way, regarding packaging (yes, yes, it's not the most important thing but...) here you have some pictures of its packaging....

TLM49 First Impressions-tlm-49-box.jpg

TLM49 First Impressions-tlm-49-box-1.jpg

TLM49 First Impressions-dscn2502-01.jpg

Last edited by xist; 28th July 2006 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Added pictures
Old 1st August 2006
Lives for gear

I'm currently trying one, and against my U87ai the first thing I noticed was that the U87ai was about 10 db louder.

once the levels were matched up, a brief test with my own voice, the next big thing that stood out to me was that the U87ai seemed a little muddy and smeared in the low mids as compared to the TLM49 that was clean and smooth down there.

The TLM49 seems to go both lower and higher in range, its also seems a little more intimate, meaning it picked up less room sound (both in cardioid) so perhaps its pattern is a bit tighter. But that could also be the curve, with its less mids.

One thing I should mention is that the TLM49 in new out of the box, and the U87 Ive had forever, so..... who knows.

I'm not going to pass any further judgment until I have it in front of some of my clients and only then will I really know whats going on.
Old 5th August 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon
does that make it sound better?
Duh! Of course silly. Didn't you know that the type of wood the mic sits in when its sleeping actually makes the mic age better, e.g., rosewood vs cedarwood vs birch vs mahogany vs maple vs birch vs basswood etc...

For example, if the box is made of basswood, the mic will develop that Eddie Van Halen vibe (Straight Basswood: Lee Roth, or Basswood with Koa laminate: the other ********* era), or if the box is made of Mahogany with Maple laminate it will have that deep dark midrangy Gibson Les Paul Vibe, or if the box is made of Ader or Ash, it will have that 1970s or 80s bell tone Stratocaster vibe, or Swamp Ash that '52 or '58 Telecaster. See? With this new found knowledge you now have just learned the secrets of the pros, who never have to eq a vocal or guitar or bass or keyb'd track. When they want their vocalist to sound like a certain artist, they let the mike sleep in a certain boxwood for a few hours, and voila.

Now the entire craft associated with the spider mount ... There are different materials and dildo shapes ....
Old 6th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygod
Duh! Of course silly. Didn't you know that the type of wood the mic sits in when its sleeping actually makes the mic age better, e.g., rosewood vs cedarwood vs birch vs mahogany vs maple vs birch vs basswood etc...

For example, if the box is made of basswood, the mic will develop that Eddie Van Halen vibe (Straight Basswood: Lee Roth, or Basswood with Koa laminate: the other ********* era), or if the box is made of Mahogany with Maple laminate it will have that deep dark midrangy Gibson Les Paul Vibe, or if the box is made of Ader or Ash, it will have that 1970s or 80s bell tone Stratocaster vibe, or Swamp Ash that '52 or '58 Telecaster. See? With this new found knowledge you now have just learned the secrets of the pros, who never have to eq a vocal or guitar or bass or keyb'd track. When they want their vocalist to sound like a certain artist, they let the mike sleep in a certain boxwood for a few hours, and voila.

Now the entire craft associated with the spider mount ... There are different materials and dildo shapes ....

Dude, I think you are smoking your aging box! haha
Old 27th August 2006
Lives for gear

ok Ive had the TLM49 for a bit longer now and had the chance to use it on many things, including singers in the studio, a classical soloist in a large hall, voice-over for TV, acoustic guitars, electric amp cabs, bass cabs, front of kick (about 2 feet) and violin.

and I have to say that I'm forming an opinion that is close to the others here, Its clear and has great detail, but its not bright/harsh in a chinese way, its just a real nice high quality clarity.

but at the same time it has a nice warmth in the lows, without being muddy/mushy/tubby at all.

it is basically as they are describing it in the sales stuff. I am preferring it to my U87ai in pretty much all cases.

It is absolutely nothing like the TLM103 I once tried.

I also bought my test subject and am glad to have it in the locker.
Old 27th August 2006
Lives for gear

another note, im less keen on the box it comes in, waiting for an nice aftermarket felt lined wood box.
Old 31st August 2006
Lives for gear

I bought mine at Long and McQuade in Canada. It came with a roadcase, pretty nice quality too.
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

post a pic of the roadcase please
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcal View Post
post a pic of the roadcase please
Here is the link to the pic.
http://www.longandmcquade.com/index....&tmp=40&id=701
Old 1st September 2006
Gear Guru

I do not douth in what you guys are saying about the mic tlm49, i would like to try one sometime, i gonna wait tho, it seems like all my mics in my cabinet have a new life with a high end preamp, the mxl990 and my old old Rode nt2 both sound unreal thru a great pre, most of my artist pick the mxl990 over my u87 , the u87 can get harsh if you are doing hard core. Now on the other hand the u87 is great on voices like John Meyer etc.
The Rode nt2 thru a 2022 into a cheap yamaha compressor gives you that Jonny Lang "Wonder this World CD sound "...... It isnt always the mic that does it. Again i would never use a cheap MXL990 w/o a preamp , omg that would be bad. enjoyed all the input on the 49.
Old 2nd September 2006
Gear Addict

FWIW I can't think of a single product I ever purchased and resold so quickly (but then again I needed some cash LOL). It kept coming out in the bottom of every vocal* mic shootout we tried it in. Right now I don't have a wide or superstellar mic inventory on hand, but against a BLUE Bottle/Red Type B set with with B7 & B6, a U99 and an M930 the TL49 sounded tight, small and edgy: almost distorted. It set itself apart from the rest, let's just say that.

I found myself considering keeping it just to have a big Neumann around for marketing purposes, and then dopeslapped muhself off to eBay.

*remember: this is supposedly a vocal mic???
Old 2nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etnier View Post
FWIW I can't think of a single product I ever purchased and resold so quickly (but then again I needed some cash LOL). It kept coming out in the bottom of every vocal* mic shootout we tried it in. Right now I don't have a wide or superstellar mic inventory on hand, but against a BLUE Bottle/Red Type B set with with B7 & B6, a U99 and an M930 the TL49 sounded tight, small and edgy: almost distorted. It set itself apart from the rest, let's just say that.

I found myself considering keeping it just to have a big Neumann around for marketing purposes, and then dopeslapped muhself off to eBay.

*remember: this is supposedly a vocal mic???

And it is a great one in my opinion and 7 different people in radio that tried it. I have had nothing but success with it in the studio.
It depends on the source too. I have vocalists that have a voice for this mic. It's a no hype- no deep thick creamy mic, it is accurate without being too bright. Thats what I love about it. and that is my opinion. In the mix, it doesn't have to be treated near as much if any. So often we judge mics hearing them by themselves, but they should be graded when all program material surrounds it.. That is when it shines I think. I honestly thought it was a little harsh and too forward until I played the whole track....... beds and all.
Old 3rd September 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo View Post
And it is a great one in my opinion and 7 different people in radio that tried it. I have had nothing but success with it in the studio.
It depends on the source too. I have vocalists that have a voice for this mic. It's a no hype- no deep thick creamy mic, it is accurate without being too bright. Thats what I love about it. and that is my opinion. In the mix, it doesn't have to be treated near as much if any. So often we judge mics hearing them by themselves, but they should be graded when all program material surrounds it.. That is when it shines I think. I honestly thought it was a little harsh and too forward until I played the whole track....... beds and all.

YOu could not have said it better, i never judge a mic by itself unless its a voice over session, i use mics that mix with the surroundings, I also try to explain that to artist that come in, they think there guitar amp settings sounds great, and then i tell them what matter is, does it sound good with the bass and drums etc.? This is serious subject that alot of techs may look over. Ive heard killer bass sounds before but when they were mixed with other guitars, drums etc, it just did not make the cut. I feel the same way about the TLM49, thats why im not gonna hurry and run out and buy one, i would really like to try one out first.....thanks for all the input here on gearslutz tho.
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

So...has anyone compared this with the M149 in cardioid?

Same cap...both transformerless...one has a tube and one has "tube emulation"...

I ask because the M149 has always been a vocal winner for me...but at $2k less, the thing stays in cardioid generally...

Thoughts? Comparison?
Old 10th September 2006
Gear Addict

another 15 people hear & agree CM7,U47,U67 (then tlm49 but cold )

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN View Post
Ok here we go five people doing a test
No paper work tech specs but the real human test intense testing

Neumann TLM 49
very flat response , but good sound, BUT COLD a bit thin at times and a little bit harsh, TLM4 cannot touch the U67/U47. The TLM49 has No Body to the sound needs a transformer and valve the TLM49 lacks character and resonance in the low end sorry try again Neumanntutt .

Wunder Audio CM7 Excellent sound Big, warm, transparent, full / U47 look and sound

Neumann U67 Amazing / you feel the resonance in the low end / sounds human

Neumann U47 Amazing / you feel the resonance in the low end / sounds human

The only way to discribe the sound of the TLM49 is like pluging a guitar into a solid state amp then pluging it into a valve amp the valve amp is big resonance sounding

Its got to have a transformer and valve: look and learn Neumann get it right try againtutt
Norah Jones NeumannM49. Michael Jackson Neumann U67. Nat King Cole Neuamnn U47/Barbra Streisand Neumann U47 George Michael Neumann U47 Miles Davis U47
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Was that for me? I don't see mention of the M149...

I know the difference in an actual M49. I've had a U67, M49, and M149 on the stand next to each other in a shootout.

My question is...if we can set aside the "M149 doesn't sound like a vintage Neumann" for a minute, is how does the NEW TLM49 compare to the 7 year old M149 in cardioid? I think that's a fair question.

Certainly, as prevalent as M149s are in the world...someone here has compared, no?
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

I have a 149 at the studio.. if I ever get a chance I will do a quick test!
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
I have a 149 at the studio.. if I ever get a chance I will do a quick test!
Appreiate it. I'm also interested in comments on the M149/TLM49 as well.
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks, mang.

I like that the 149 just sounds like the source...it offers the softness of a tube mic without the color. The openess to the top end without the faux "air boost" sound a lot of newer tube mics I have. Which I get is probably why lots of people don't like it.

I could use the multipatterns and variable HPF around here, but $2k difference is a lot of dough if it's close to the same sound in cardioid for vocals.
Old 10th September 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
Was that for me? I don't see mention of the M149...

I know the difference in an actual M49. I've had a U67, M49, and M149 on the stand next to each other in a shootout.

My question is...if we can set aside the "M149 doesn't sound like a vintage Neumann" for a minute, is how does the NEW TLM49 compare to the 7 year old M149 in cardioid? I think that's a fair question.

Certainly, as prevalent as M149s are in the world...someone here has compared, no?

We have both and just shot them out last week. I'm a Vo guy so we tested on my voice reading in several styles... The tlm 49 sounded very "149 like". It did not sound as good however. For me it was missing some vocal nuance, and definitely not as smooth. 2 engineers picked them out blind. But here's the thing... we paid $1,100 for the tlm, and I think the M149 retails for $4,500 or so. Seems like a lot of mic for the $$$ to me . You could almost track a spot with the m149, and use the tlm for pick-ups and get away with it. Almost. In short I felt the tlm 49 was the same as the M149, but not as good (feels like Yogi Bera phrasing).
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
In short I felt the tlm 49 was the same as the M149, but not as good (feels like Yogi Bera phrasing).
I totally "get" that. You can get the 149 a good deal cheaper than $4500 if you know where to look, but...same difference. It's a lot of money difference. If it sounds "like it but not as good", I owe it to myself to at least find one to demo before laying down the money on the 149.

I guess the coolest thing about the 149, for me, is that it just never sounds bad. There's never anything artifically "electrical" happening. That may be what you're paying for.

I've been using the 149 through the very revealing Hv3...and still nothin' bad...maybe the TLM49 will require a less revealing preamp. I do have a LA610.
Old 11th September 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
I totally "get" that. You can get the 149 a good deal cheaper than $4500 if you know where to look, but...same difference. It's a lot of money difference. If it sounds "like it but not as good", I owe it to myself to at least find one to demo before laying down the money on the 149.

I guess the coolest thing about the 149, for me, is that it just never sounds bad. There's never anything artifically "electrical" happening. That may be what you're paying for.

I've been using the 149 through the very revealing Hv3...and still nothin' bad...maybe the TLM49 will require a less revealing preamp. I do have a LA610.

I love the 149... When I biught it I shot it out aginst a u87 I owned at the time (most overrated mic of all time) and what sold me was the detail. There are just vocal things that you don't hear on the 87 that are all of a sudden there on the 149. For me that's what the tlm is missing. And the smoothness. That was big also... I hope "smoothness" makes sense, as I don't know how else to say it.

So bottom line, with a 149 in our A room and a tlm in our B room I WILL be going out of my way to track all of my personal VO work in "A" on the 149.

We haven't tested it yet, but we plan on using an Avalon 737 with the tlm. I have a hunch that's gonna be just what the doctor ordered. I'll let ya know.
Old 11th September 2006
Lives for gear
wat about he 147

hey guys everyone keeps talking about the 49 vs the 149.... what about the 147? is it not good or something. Its still a pretty damn expensive mic.... Im actually looking into one right now. and how does that compare to those peluso and pearlmans
Old 11th September 2006
AB3
Lives for gear

Depends what you want to do. Pearlman is much more versatile. Great on overheads. Has omni mode (which is awesome on overheads). Also killer on vocals. Rich and smooth with plenty of high end or tailored to how you want it from Dave Pearlman himself. Now it will likely not sound like a 147 which I use to have, I think a much better mic than the 147 (though more money) is the Soundelux e49. And for less money, the AEA R84 which can do a lot of what the 147 can do (since it is a dark mic). Experience in positioning and the right pre can make the AEA R84 sing in the M147 genre IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedommer View Post
hey guys everyone keeps talking about the 49 vs the 149.... what about the 147? is it not good or something. Its still a pretty damn expensive mic.... Im actually looking into one right now. and how does that compare to those peluso and pearlmans
Old 11th September 2006
Gear Addict

I have the U87ai, TLM49, M147 and M149 side by side on my mic stands right now. All mics are fine. On my voice the M149 is the winner by far. Cleaner, punchier, smoother.

Funny, but i do not hear the similarity between the TLM49 and the M149. To my old ears the sound of the 49 is much closer to the 87 i have.

The M147 is not compareable, the mids are completely different (I like that).

On double bass my favorite is the M147 followed by the TLM 49. I did not like the other two on double bass.

Tonight i will test those mics with my female singer - she CAN sing in marked contrast to me.

I wanted the TLM49 to sound better than the M149, but it looks like I will not save that money.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search