The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TLM49 First Impressions Condenser Microphones
Old 10th July 2006
Here for the gear
MIX up..SORRY...Haste makes you know what

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN

Hi silenthawlk
Which one do you mean? you say in your post TLM49 and TLM149 which one are you talking about?
what does the avalon m5 do for the sound? for you how did it make the mic sound?

thanks
Hey sorry,

I meant the TLM 49 (THE NEW MIC of theirs)...Didn't mean to confuse. That mic is a great mic. Definitely worthy of the price and certainly worthy of making it into any line up of mics...Love it, personally...

The AVALON m5 is a CLASS A mic pre... google "Avalon M5" and you'll find info if you choose too...or go to avalondesign.com Good stuff...about the same price as the TLM "49"...I got it right this time eeh..

I was just saying how the COMBO of the Neumann TLM 49 and M5, in my very humble opinion is a GREAT line up for male lead vox. PRO lead vox...

Sorry about that wobbly post...Peace, MB
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthawk
Rob and company,

Since I have your kind attention, May I be greedy and ask one more question. I know you said it's a PREFERENCE thing for preamps, so there is no right or wrong usually, but I'm wondering if you have ever AB'd your AVALON 737's against a Universal Audio 6176 Mic pre or heard of anyone who's used both? OR Just the 6176?

I'm standing on a cliff right now about this right now and I'm either jumping or not..Could take just a small breeze and I'm off...

Thanks again!! ...Michael B.
I've done exactly that...You can't go wrong with the Avalon. I really wasn't crazy about the 6176. I could NEVER get the compression where I wanted it for vocals - 4:1 was just too much. With the Avalon, it's a non-detented dial, so you can dial in a ratio anywhere from 1:1 to infinity - which is SO much more intuitive than the 1:1, 4:1, etc. of the 6176. I'm also not sure why anyone would want to record vocals with a 1176 anyway...(yes, I know, that was sacriledge to many on here) I also wasn't crazy about the 610 pre - it's really colored - in a way I wasn't crazy about. This is not the box to get if you want a transparent rendition of your source. Of course, the Avalon is colored a bit too - but in a much more pleasant way...Just my thoughts...
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

Anyone here using TLM49 through a DAV BG1?
Old 12th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xist
Anyone here using TLM49 through a DAV BG1?
I did several takes of female vocal with her TLM49 and Gordon pre (similarly clean as DAV pre). It sounds fabulous, but what I've learned that Gordon pre likes mics with good resolution/definition and Neumann seems to fit this category very well.
The best result we got with Thermionic Earlybird that added even more space without losing anything of great vocal character.
With other pres (Great River, Wunder, DMCL, TAB etc.) result was slightly less favorable than mentioned two, but still absolutely usable and on that particular voice it always sounded as top dollar mic.
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

what's the street price on one of these bad boys??(TLM 49)
Old 13th July 2006
Here for the gear
Street Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
what's the street price on one of these bad boys??(TLM 49)

IT's pretty close to the list price ($1600, something?) since they are so new...I think I got mine for around $1350 or something..Must check receipt...My brain cramps this early in the morn...I don't think there is a lot of room to maneuver as far as prices yet, but not sure. I'm sure if your in with a dealer they may be able to do as well or better...

Good LUCK! Your cheesehead from Wisconsin, Michael B
Old 13th July 2006
Here for the gear

I want to make some classical music recordings on a budget, with a only-two mic minimalist tecnhique. I have a Millennia HV3 B pre. Wich one of this two mics do you recommend: Neumann M 147 ou Neumann TLM 49?
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthawk
IT's pretty close to the list price ($1600, something?) since they are so new...I think I got mine for around $1350 or something..Must check receipt...My brain cramps this early in the morn...I don't think there is a lot of room to maneuver as far as prices yet, but not sure. I'm sure if your in with a dealer they may be able to do as well or better...

Good LUCK! Your cheesehead from Wisconsin, Michael B

cool thanks for the scoop I want to check one of these out for mysel.
Old 13th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganhodosom
I want to make some classical music recordings on a budget, with a only-two mic minimalist tecnhique. I have a Millennia HV3 B pre. Wich one of this two mics do you recommend: Neumann M 147 ou Neumann TLM 49?
I personally would want a multipattern mic for classical music. I use omini and figure 8 a lot. IOW, neither.
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd recommend a set of small diaphragm condensers.... You can't go wrong with Sennheiser MKH or Schoeps. Look carefully and you can likely find a pair of either in the same (or lower) price range.

--Ben
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
LDCs on a budget: TLM 103 or M930 (both are excellent mics, but I prefer the 103 on vocals, since it is more forward sounding and has an extended top range and more airiness.

SDCs on a budget: KM184 or SM81 (the latter has a flatter response and is better suited for classical, imo).
I haven't recorded with the M300s, so I can't comment on it. I hear they are good.
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmekGuy
LDCs on a budget: TLM 103 or M930 (both are excellent mics, but I prefer the 103 on vocals, since it is more forward sounding and has an extended top range and more airiness.

SDCs on a budget: KM184 or SM81 (the latter has a flatter response and is better suited for classical, imo).
I haven't recorded with the M300s, so I can't comment on it. I hear they are good.

I second the 103 for vocals over the 930, I have both. For that price range they're both good mics, the 930 sounds a bit boxy on my voice, not enough air...

I've done some nice acoustic work with the SM81 thru the M2-2NV and a little eq around 5-6k. It is certainly a good mic for acoustic for the prize...
Old 17th July 2006
Here for the gear

How is the TLM 49 compared to the U87?
Old 18th July 2006
Gear Maniac
I've had mine for close to a month. I am using it thru a Presonus ADL 600 or my Joe Meek Twin Q. I've used it on vocals and acoustic guitar. I really like this mic and consider it a significant upgrade from my AT4050.
Old 18th July 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveE9C6
I really like this mic and consider it a significant upgrade from my AT4050.
My first mic was an AT 4050 as well. Then I got the U87. Now I'm looking for some thing different sounding compared to the U87.
Old 23rd July 2006
Gear Addict

THE TEST TLM49/U67/U47/CM7

Ok here we go five people doing a test
No paper work tech specs but the real human test intense testing

Neumann TLM 49
very flat response , but good sound, BUT COLD a bit thin at times and a little bit harsh, TLM4 cannot touch the U67/U47. The TLM49 has No Body to the sound needs a transformer and valve the TLM49 lacks character and resonance in the low end sorry try again Neumanntutt .

Wunder Audio CM7 Excellent sound Big, warm, transparent, full / U47 look and sound

Neumann U67 Amazing / you feel the resonance in the low end / sounds human

Neumann U47 Amazing / you feel the resonance in the low end / sounds human

The only way to discribe the sound of the TLM49 is like pluging a guitar into a solid state amp then pluging it into a valve amp the valve amp is big resonance sounding

Its got to have a transformer and valve: look and learn Neumann get it right try againtutt
Norah Jones NeumannM49. Michael Jackson Neumann U67. Nat King Cole Neuamnn U47/Barbra Streisand Neumann U47 George Michael Neumann U47
Old 23rd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg
Would it make more sense to compare it to other things near its price range?
Maybe at homerecording.com, but not at Gearslutz.
Old 23rd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pardon me, I did not realize I was in the presence of such superiority.
Your methods and concepts are clearly superior to my own.

I would estimate that, compared to a good U47, most mics would pale. That makes sense.

What's next, an SM57 versus an ELA M251? Excellent.

"maybe at homerecording.com"

Then why bother checking out $1300 mics anyway? Isn't it F***ING OBVIOUS to ANY MORON that it's not going to be better than a U47? What's the point.

Yeah, whatever... not coming back here.

I'm going to have to agree with this to some degree...

Just like we wouldn't compare a Ferrari to a Ford. we shouldn't do comps with $1,500 mics vs $7,000 mics...

Let's stick to comparing gear within it's price range to keep it simple and practical. We need some reference when doing comps but let's keep it real !
Old 23rd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pardon me, I did not realize I was in the presence of such superiority.
Your methods and concepts are clearly superior to my own.

I would estimate that, compared to a good U47, most mics would pale. That makes sense.

What's next, an SM57 versus an ELA M251? Excellent.

"maybe at homerecording.com"

Then why bother checking out $1300 mics anyway? Isn't it F***ING OBVIOUS to ANY MORON that it's not going to be better than a U47? What's the point.

Yeah, whatever... not coming back here.
heh Geezus dude, take a couple Midol or something.
Old 23rd July 2006
500 series nutjob

xanax
Old 23rd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs
I'm going to have to agree with this to some degree...

Just like we wouldn't compare a Ferrari to a Ford. we shouldn't do comps with $1,500 mics vs $7,000 mics...

Let's stick to comparing gear within it's price range to keep it simple and practical. We need some reference when doing comps but let's keep it real !
I understand, to a point, what you're saying, however this is the High End forum, not the Low End Theory forum.
Old 23rd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Then the entire thread should have been moved, since it's a $1300 large di condensor aimed at vocals, which cannot possibly be in the same league as a 251, 47, 67, c12, m49, vm1 khe, etc.

Sensible comparisons would be UM70, 414, tlm103, and all those Chinese capsule mics that are 'great'. They are in the same general price range, and targeted at the same audience and for the same uses.

If your goal is to compare every new cheap mic to the 'best of the best', you're wasting your time and will find nothing but disappointment.

Again, would ANYONE seriously think it would compare favorably to a U47? 67? If it did, it would be the best selling lg di cond mic of all time.

The Midol comment is hysterical. Really worth the bandwidth...
From Neumann's site re: TLM49:
"The design is inspired by that of the legendary M 49 and M 50 microphones of the 1950s. Naturally the TLM 49 has the typical Neumann fine matte nickel finish. The “sound design” is also oriented toward that of the M 49 and the U 47."

If you're going to put it into that sort of company, should it not be expected be be critiqued against said mics? And I'm glad you enjoyed my zinger.
Old 23rd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

If your goal is to compare every new cheap mic to the 'best of the best', you're wasting your time and will find nothing but disappointment.
I've had applications where SM7's and SM58's have beat out $5k tube mics on vocals, so it all really depends.
Old 23rd July 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew
From Neumann's site re: TLM49:
"The design is inspired by that of the legendary M 49 and M 50 microphones of the 1950s. Naturally the TLM 49 has the typical Neumann fine matte nickel finish. The “sound design” is also oriented toward that of the M 49 and the U 47."

If you're going to put it into that sort of company, should it not be expected be be critiqued against said mics? And I'm glad you enjoyed my zinger.
That is my piont. You see there is so much crapy new equipment made today out there.
Take something like the NEVE 1081 that sounds amazing and worth the money but so many other products made today sound ****. Just because you have a name does not mean you should turn out rubbish. Why does Neumann not use transformers anymore?
We all want the U47 sound which is valve / transformer / big warm fat with body and low end balls
Old 23rd July 2006
Lives for gear

My main issue with doing a/b's with gear in a different class is that it leads to nothing...it doesn't serve a real purpose.

As in most things you can buy in this world, there is always a big difference when you buy something that costs 3 or 4 times more. Of course this is gear and it's all very subjective, what sounds good to one guy might not sound good to the next.

And this leads me to Neumann's marketing of the TLM49. I've also read the ads for the 49 and that's where the expectation and temptation to comapare them to those mics might lead somebody down the wrong path.

To me, all the TLM series sound thin. Not bad, but not even close to a M49 or U47. Why even compare them then ? It's really not apples to apples...
If Neumann could build another U47 they would've already.

I haven't heard the TLM49 yet except in samples. To me, it would be more useful to hear comps with mics in the 1k to 2k range. I am actually looking into that mic so that would help anybody who has that money to spend on a mid-priced mic.

So let's keep the comparisons where they are useful, ie. - in this range to this range this is a good choice, then in this range to this range you have this one to choose, and so on...-

Like I said, I already know that the Ferrari is faster and drives better than the Ford. I want to hear if the Ford is better than the Chevy or the Dodge...
Old 23rd July 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs
I want to hear if the Ford is better than the Chevy or the Dodge...
everyone knows ford is better then chevy or dodge.
fact no debate.
Old 23rd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN
. . .Its got to have a transformer and valve: look and learn Neumann get it right try againtutt
Norah Jones NeumannM49. Michael Jackson Neumann U67. Nat King Cole Neuamnn U47/Barbra Streisand Neumann U47 George Michael Neumann U47
My suggestion would be to go buy the mics you actually like and are talking about above.

Clearly, Neumann feels they need to service the project studio and home market to generate good sales numbers and dollars. This will help them keep in the good graces of their masters and overseers at Sennheiser.

If you buy cheap---you got cheap!
(. . .at least it's not Chinese)
Old 24th July 2006
Lives for gear

I'm think I'm going to buy the TLM49, it's going to be my first "important" mic, and use it with a DAV BG1. I hope I won't be disappointed. Maybe one day I'll have the chance of a U47 or a 5k clone, who knows... I'll try to get the best out of this mic.
Old 24th July 2006
Lives for gear

Have you gone to Nuemann.com and checked the frequency response chart for that mic? As I recall, going from left to right, it's all uphill.
Old 24th July 2006
Gear Maniac

With all respect, in the end you are going to have to "buy it and try it" anyway before deciding, (check the return policy) and while I know these mini-reviews are just to get us "in the ballpark", I hope we all know it's just each mans opinion...while I might listen to the opinion of someone with "vast" experience, still doesn't mean I'll agree...after all, in the end it's "my" ears (or yours as the case may be) and I don't know about you, but for me "I'm" still the bottom line...of course you have to trust your own judgement...I do trust my own ears (damaged as they may be!) but it's surprising to me sometimes how many don't...in any case, I have the TLM49 and haven't found a situation where I "can't" make it work (although if I think I have a better mic in the cabinet for the source at hand I'll try it first, so that narrows it down a bit anyway)...are there "better" mics?...depends on the source, of course...that's why we own more than one mic.

I like it, but it's not all I like!!!

Good luck, BW

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search