The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TLM49 First Impressions Condenser Microphones
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

No Problem Michael. Just listen for yourself. Everyone has opinions on what sounds better than the next....It is all opinions or in some cases just flavor's for your sound pallette. I am sure the LA-610 can be used amazingly somewhere on a record... There is no right or wrong man, but I do encourage people just to listen.... and what they are listening for.

Rob
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

My .02 is that tube gear is less consistant that solid state stuff ... mainly cause the quality of the stock tubes can vary A LOT from piece to piece ... hence some folks loving, while at the same time, other folks disliking the exact same mic pre ...

js.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King
No Problem Michael. Just listen for yourself. Everyone has opinions on what sounds better than the next....It is all opinions or in some cases just flavor's for your sound pallette. I am sure the LA-610 can be used amazingly somewhere on a record... There is no right or wrong man, but I do encourage people just to listen.... and what they are listening for.

Rob
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsgear
My .02 is that tube gear is less consistant that solid state stuff ... mainly cause the quality of the stock tubes can vary A LOT from piece to piece ... hence some folks loving, while at the same time, other folks disliking the exact same mic pre ...

js.
With that being said, I do favor one of my Avalon 737's over the other... And one of my Soundelux U95's.

Rob
Old 15th June 2006
Here for the gear
Avalon 737 vs. Universal Audio 6176???

Rob and company,

Since I have your kind attention, May I be greedy and ask one more question. I know you said it's a PREFERENCE thing for preamps, so there is no right or wrong usually, but I'm wondering if you have ever AB'd your AVALON 737's against a Universal Audio 6176 Mic pre or heard of anyone who's used both? OR Just the 6176?

I'm standing on a cliff right now about this right now and I'm either jumping or not..Could take just a small breeze and I'm off...

Thanks again!! ...Michael B.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
The reason I chose not to post the raw recording is because I wanted people to just listen and enjoy what this mic can offer on a recording. I only own a few Neumann mics and they aren't really my favorites but this mic is an exceptional value and most importantly, it sounds great.

offtopic -

I just used a pair of KM183 Omnis on an acoustic guitar and felt I got one of the best recording I have ever done. I used the cardiod pattern for so long it started to become a habit so I threw those omni's up in an XY and was way happier with the results.

People need to use more Omni & Figure 8 Patterns! Ok, sorry.......

Rob
I couldn't agree more. I use all my mics all the time. I am happy to add this one in for sure. I love the sound of the TLM49 through my Mindprint pre. Not everyone , at least stateside, had heard of that one. They are both German made....hmmmm maybe that is why they get along.
Old 16th June 2006
Here for the gear
Lavry Blue 2ch DA BD

Rob,

Is this the LAVRY converter you were thinking of? And they have preamps? How are those? Yours in vast inquiries from cheeseland...

THANKS< MichaelB.
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

I haven't heard the Lavry preamp at all, but I am sure they are clean and nice sounding. Their stuff is pretty top notch.

Lavry's - http://www.mercenary.com/lablco.html
Old 16th June 2006

Quote:
Not on it, but I was in the Cakewalk Sonar 5 ad's last year. ...Anyway..

The mic was about 18-24" out positioned about 4-6 inches above where the cellist bows the strings. BTW, she is also an amazing player....that helps! Just got a masters from USC in music. I work with her all the time.

Rob
Didn't meant on the cover. I'm looking at it right now. It's the March 2004 EQ magazine jeje, on the last page, "Room with a VU"
Old 16th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthawk
Hey Rob,

Thanks for your thoughts on TLM149...If I was to purchase a converter to go thru a UA-LA-610 or an AVALON 737 into digi 002 using this Neumann TLM149 mic, would you have any thoughts on CONVERTER's, ie: brand, version, model#??

I'd truly appreciate the input.

Thanks,

Michael B.
I'm sure you already now but just in case the model of the microphone is TLM49 or perhaps there's a little confusion with the M 149?
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Oh yeah. That's me..

Rob
Old 19th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Bought a TLM 49 over the weekend, had a few minutes just to plug it in at home and give it a quick test...mic pre was Pacifica....first impressions, this definitely does not have the "sizzle" on the top end that I'm used to from some Neumanns (no need to identify those)...a-b'd finished tracks previously done on Microtech Gefell M930, sound was slightly thicker with the TLM 49, not really a good thing for my voice (lots of low end already, actually too much) but the quality of sound was there...at this point I really need some other vocalists/spoken word artists that I'm familiar with to come in and give it a go before deciding if I will keep it or not...gut feeling says this could be great on certain female vocals, or higher end males but who knows....I want to like this, and hope it blows me away on at least some....to be fair, I'd just finished two days of live shows and really had blown my own voice out, so after tonights show maybe I'll give it another go myself after a few days "vocal rest"... I have a jazz female coming in in a week, will definitely try this on her, but I've never heard her so not sure what I'm in for...oh well, always have the M930's to fall back on....why do I want the Neumann? When they ask, "Do you have a Neumann?" I want to pull out this big-assed version (without breaking the bank)....plus I'm hoping it will be another flavour....I've got 30 days to change my mind, so we'll see.....(keep hearing U87 calling me, trying to resist!!!)

Thanks,

BW
Old 19th June 2006
Here for the gear
TLM 49..yes..CORRECTION NOTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz
I'm sure you already now but just in case the model of the microphone is TLM49 or perhaps there's a little confusion with the M 149?
--

Hey yea, SORRY, thinking of my TLM103 when I was writing my last reply about the TLM "49"....not 149...Sorry about that...

Again, I can see where the high's might not be to everyone's taste. I am just running thru a LA-610 and it sounds like BUTTER...But it may not be an EVERY VOICE mic as that in itself is probably a naive statement. For no mic, at that price range anyway, is an EVERY voice mic...or at any price range...

Sorry about the "149" thang...Good luck, MB
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Maniac

dwindsor,
I am also testing a TLM 49 right now and I MISS THE SIZZLE! I was a/b-ing with my rode K2 ( which I will trade towards a new mic) which has a lot of sizzle but needs more fullness. I too am thinking of trying a u87.
Steve
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Singh
dwindsor,
I am also testing a TLM 49 right now and I MISS THE SIZZLE! I was a/b-ing with my rode K2 ( which I will trade towards a new mic) which has a lot of sizzle but needs more fullness. I too am thinking of trying a u87.
Steve
I believe there really is no 1 great mic for every application. If I want the super sizzle air thing I usually turn to my Brauner Valvet (Amazing on female harmonies BTW) or my Soundelux U95's. If you only have 1 mic, really do some research and find something you feel would be a better "All around" thing. The TLM49 is pretty cool at doing what it does but there are different mics better at certain things. I love my Beta SM57 on a snare but would never use my TLM49 on the snare...

Rob

P.S. Watchout though, Mic purchasing is addicting!
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindsor
Bought a TLM 49 over the weekend, had a few minutes just to plug it in at home and give it a quick test...mic pre was Pacifica....first impressions, this definitely does not have the "sizzle" on the top end that I'm used to from some Neumanns (no need to identify those)...a-b'd finished tracks previously done on Microtech Gefell M930, sound was slightly thicker with the TLM 49, not really a good thing for my voice (lots of low end already, actually too much) but the quality of sound was there...at this point I really need some other vocalists/spoken word artists that I'm familiar with to come in and give it a go before deciding if I will keep it or not...gut feeling says this could be great on certain female vocals, or higher end males but who knows....I want to like this, and hope it blows me away on at least some....to be fair, I'd just finished two days of live shows and really had blown my own voice out, so after tonights show maybe I'll give it another go myself after a few days "vocal rest"... I have a jazz female coming in in a week, will definitely try this on her, but I've never heard her so not sure what I'm in for...oh well, always have the M930's to fall back on....why do I want the Neumann? When they ask, "Do you have a Neumann?" I want to pull out this big-assed version (without breaking the bank)....plus I'm hoping it will be another flavour....I've got 30 days to change my mind, so we'll see.....(keep hearing U87 calling me, trying to resist!!!)

Thanks,

BW
Are you saying tracks previously done, the sound was thicker from the Neumann TLM49 or the sound was thicker from the Gefell M930?
Thanks
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Maniac

John,

Raw tracks, no compression, eq, nothing....TLM49 was very slightly (but definitely noticeably) thicker.

Thanks, BW
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Hi, Jls here in Ottawa,

Might I ask who in Ottawa is giving you a 30 day grace return period on this mic?

jls

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindsor
John,

Raw tracks, no compression, eq, nothing....TLM49 was very slightly (but definitely noticeably) thicker.

Thanks, BW
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Maniac

ua

jlsgear,

Long and McQuade...the catch is you have to buy it (and pay for it), but they do have a 30 day return policy, provided you didn't do something stupid (like use it as a hammer, I've already got a few SM58's for that!)

Anyway, I gave it another couple of hours this morning at the studio, and have now come away with a new perspective...I'm definitely keeping it. Doesn't sound like my M930, but that's okay as I already have that covered (with a pair)...it does have a fairly big sound, still clear on the top end, but has no "lift", highs are flat sounding, probably a littled rolled off...what's really nice is it doesn't pick up the room, fairly well zero's in on the source in front of it (my voice in this case) without much ambience (none really)...I did test it in my vocal booth which is not totally dead...with the M930 (which I love BTW) I can hear a difference between leaving the door slightly open or closed, but with the TLM49, it's just the source in front...I'm going to try it later on my Taylor 614ce as that doesn't need any high end "boost"...I know it's technically been voiced for vocal (so the propaganda goes) but mics are mics....my feeling is, I didn't want another unnatural "sizzle" mic (I've had enough of those, got rid of them all) and for what I wanted to spend, combined with keeping those who "have" to see Neumann in front of them, this is going to work for me...will I ever buy another mic?...of course...will it be a Neumann?...probably not unless I win a lottery...I'm more of a Microtech Geffell guy, but in my ear to pocketbook ratio, combined with the above "yeah, I got a Neumann, man" need, I'm pretty happy with this choice....but ask me in a year if I still have it...I think I might, but who knows, people change!

BW
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Singh
dwindsor,
Steve
Do you think it's fair to everyone here to post another thread and slam a mic that you haven't tested extensively or recorded with much? At the very least, I think the TLM 49 deserves more than that.

How about posting some samples of these tests?
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Who's slamming it? I'm describing it and asking for suggestions for other mic's to try. I like the robust, thick, woooly qualities, I just miss the sizzle. Jeeez....
Steve
Old 28th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Final update:

I am now "really" happy that I made this choice...just finished tracking/mixing a female jazz vocalist (old standards) with piano, and the vocal is stellar...didn't hurt that she can actually sing, and the piano player was no slouch either.

Anyway, lead vocal came out very nice....rich, and with just the right amount of "natural" top end, no hype here...I did pinch a little hi-mid out, which was just to smooth a little (was already smooth, but this is "old-school" light jazz, so that was the decision....didn't even use my favourite pre on this, as both channels were being used for keyboard (Pacifica, by the way...had to use an electronic Kawai, turned out better than expected)...anyway, just used pre in my Drawmer 1969...other than clip light flickering with "not a whole lot of gain", once everything was dialed in, I was surprised at how good the mic sounded (really wasn't expecting it to, but hoping)....definitely would not have been able to get "this" sound with any of my previous mics (Rode NTV, assorted chinese stuff, RE20), but might have been in the "very close ballpark" with my Microtech Geffell M930's (have I said previously how much I love these?)...don't think it would have been as smooth and still in your face though, at least not with this singer...930's have a little more forward-mid happening, and don't reject the room ambience quite as well as the Neumann (could be a good thing, or not...how does "your" room sound?)

So that's it, the TLM49 is a keeper for me....for the $, I think this was a good choice, given it's not a "dog" ( I thought the TLM103 was...the M930 eats it for breakfast)....for those who just don't like the TLM line, or the idea of it....neither did I, but this one works for me....oh yeah, like I posted earlier.."Do you have a Neumann?"...."yes, I do"....Ka-ching!!! (Sad, but true)

BW
Old 2nd July 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan_c
cool I am glad to hear this... I have one on order so now I can't wait to get it!!
Get two quickly before Neumann wakes up and figures it out and jacks the prices.

~skygod~
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

any other tlm 49 review/opinion round here? :-)
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xist
any other tlm 49 review/opinion round here? :-)

I for one second the motion.

I posted earlier and others have if you had a chance to listen.
I think it has great clarity with just enough warmth. Not airy unless you eq, but really nice controlled presence. Makes itself known in the mix, that's for sure.
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

NoEgo...

If you don't mind, I would really like to hear the U195 vs the TLM49. I am looking into that mic as well and I already own a 195 which I like...

I'll be looking forward to it...
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs
NoEgo...

If you don't mind, I would really like to hear the U195 vs the TLM49. I am looking into that mic as well and I already own a 195 which I like...

I'll be looking forward to it...
Dreamsongs
I love the U195 too. I have one. The TLM49 is not even close to the U195. It is a lot more present. You'll hear it no matter what else is going on. If you get close to it , it will start to sound closer to a U195 but that mic is really soft in my opinion.
I guess the TLM49 is between a TLM103 and U195 in my opinion. I am sure some will agree some will disagree. If you like the U195, unlike a lot of people, me not included, then the TLM49 will be a good addition. I am sure you don't want to buy the same sound.
I will PM you when I have a comparison ready for you.
Lou
Old 9th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo
Dreamsongs
I love the U195 too. I have one. The TLM49 is not even close to the U195. It is a lot more present. You'll hear it no matter what else is going on. If you get close to it , it will start to sound closer to a U195 but that mic is really soft in my opinion.
I guess the TLM49 is between a TLM103 and U195 in my opinion. I am sure some will agree some will disagree. If you like the U195, unlike a lot of people, me not included, then the TLM49 will be a good addition. I am sure you don't want to buy the same sound.
I will PM you when I have a comparison ready for you.
Lou
Yes, I think the U195 is a good mic in that price range, but I was toying with the idea of either a U87 or the new TLM49 as my next mic.

I have doubts about the new U87ai so the 49 has risen to the top of that list. It also doesn't hurt that it can be had a little cheaper...I really want to like it !

Thanks for your response, I'll be looking for it...
Old 9th July 2006
Lives for gear

I auditioned TLM49 some time ago and was indeed very pleased by it.
Couple of days ago I worked with female singer who brought it to studio (although I have quite impressive choice of LDCs).
Again, I can confrim said before that new Neumann is nothing less than excellent mic and with some voices it can be choice over several times more expensive heavy weighters.
Although I didn't intend to buy it initially, I started thinking about that recently.
Old 10th July 2006
Here for the gear
TLM 49 and the AVALON M5 (2022 single)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN
Thanks everyone!
Any more testers or users out their of the NeumannTLM 49?
more comments please ?
For Vocals, MALE, is all I've tried it on, it sounds so fat and warm, with no compression, no eq, going into just my digi 002 rack (G5)....I tried the TLM 49 on an LA-610 and it sounded great too. But the AVALON has a pureness that I really DIG. I heard it was a better PREAMP than the 737...I only tried out the 737 in the store so I am NO expert what-so-ever...But by the word of some experts I know and some seemingly more informed gear-mongers who posted on this site, I went with the M5/TLM 149 combo..
And it is sweet!!! I've recorded a lot at SMART Studios of BUTCH VIG (Nirvana, Garbage fame), which is a fantastic little studio. They have the NEUMANN U-47 brand new refurbed and going thru their high end lights out gear/board. But this has got a sound similiar to the recordings I've done there for VOX. NOT SAYING IT"S AS GOOD by any means! Please FORGIVE me for even insinuating that. But if that's a direction you'd like to go (U-47)..your getting there with the TLM 149...and again, AVALON m5 really work well together...

Yours in a step closer to pro-lead vox in basement...MB
michaelbrandmeier.com
Old 10th July 2006
Gear Addict

TLM49 or TLM149? which one ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthawk
For Vocals, MALE, is all I've tried it on, it sounds so fat and warm, with no compression, no eq, going into just my digi 002 rack (G5)....I tried the TLM 49 on an LA-610 and it sounded great too. But the AVALON has a pureness that I really DIG. I heard it was a better PREAMP than the 737...I only tried out the 737 in the store so I am NO expert what-so-ever...But by the word of some experts I know and some seemingly more informed gear-mongers who posted on this site, I went with the M5/TLM 149 combo..
And it is sweet!!! I've recorded a lot at SMART Studios of BUTCH VIG (Nirvana, Garbage fame), which is a fantastic little studio. They have the NEUMANN U-47 brand new refurbed and going thru their high end lights out gear/board. But this has got a sound similiar to the recordings I've done there for VOX. NOT SAYING IT"S AS GOOD by any means! Please FORGIVE me for even insinuating that. But if that's a direction you'd like to go (U-47)..your getting there with the TLM 149...and again, AVALON m5 really work well together...

Yours in a step closer to pro-lead vox in basement...MB
michaelbrandmeier.com
Hi silenthawlk
Which one do you mean? you say in your post TLM49 and TLM149 which one are you talking about?
what does the avalon m5 do for the sound? for you how did it make the mic sound?

thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search