The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TLM49 First Impressions Condenser Microphones
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier
Fun hearing you in my livingroom ...would like to hear a whole set!

Thank you, that was brave I know.
haha
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

TLM49 and K2 test would be better please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo
Ok,
Forgive the voice but I am pretty sick of this old classic.

1) All takes are without eq and without compression. Just the pre and mic
2) I purposely recorded the two distances to give a distant and a close up using proximity.
3) On the close up I used technique so as not to overload the mic.
4) The guitar was pre recorded through a Rode K2 mic without eq or compression, so any difference is completely from reacting with the TLM49 and voice/pre combination.
5) Sung in treated room Primacoustic system of my studio.

Hi NoEgo
Thanks for the mp3 however I cannot compare this mic or know the difference to anything else.
Would it be possible to do the test again and send mp3 files of your voice singing into the TLM49 and the RodeK2 this would give a much better comparison of the tlm49 because there would be another mic within the same test to match up to. If you could do this I would be gratefully. As I know and have used the K2 I would be able to hear the differences of both mics within the test and have a better example of sound with a two mic test then I would know what the TLM49 lacks or has.
Thanks
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Nut

Thank you NoEgo
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

NE - That is one warm sounding mic with a very smooth and crisp top end.
Looking forward to hearing more samples of this mic. Great job!
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Nice clip. Quite like the vocals through the UA610 from 6 inches. The mic sounds warm indeed, very classy like.

Not offense, but the Guitar is a little muddy and gets in the way of the vocals lower range IMO. Also if possible, can we please hear the clip in .wav, its just that i can hear that mp3ish effect (its 128)

Thankyou
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN
Hi NoEgo
Thanks for the mp3 however I cannot compare this mic or know the difference to anything else.
Would it be possible to do the test again and send mp3 files of your voice singing into the TLM49 and the RodeK2 this would give a much better comparison of the tlm49 because there would be another mic within the same test to match up to. If you could do this I would be gratefully. As I know and have used the K2 I would be able to hear the differences of both mics within the test and have a better example of sound with a two mic test then I would know what the TLM49 lacks or has.
Thanks
Sure,
I thought it would be more beneficial for everyone to try it through different pres as some of you may own one or two of the units I do.
I suppose I could do this once, and not through a bunch of pres. The other thing I thought was that certain mics work best with certain pres. So my K2 in my pre may not be exactly what yours sounds like in yours.
What pres do you have John? Maybe I do have it or a similar sounding one

The bass that you hear from the guitar is from reacting with the mic'd vocal.
It is worse of some pres than others. It wasn't there when the guitar was recorded originally. Even though I didn't record it at the same time, it can interact together. I didn't want to use any eq in the test so that is why it has a bit of bottom abundance now and then. I will take out some bottom on the guitar before I mix it with the vocal on the next take.
I can also only post 4.57 meg to this site. If someone wants wave files, it's going to be pretty short. Unless there is someway that I don't know about. I don't have a website. I thought I compressed it to a higher quality I will check that too. I hear lack in any mp3. I know that's nitpicking. I am still an analogue fan too though. Well a mix. I am with you on that one. One day we will be able to transer wavs till the cows come home I hope sooner than later.
Glad you are all making some use of it. Keep checking back. By the way, I love this mic in case it's not obvious.

Lou
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Sounds great! Just what I was hoping it would sound like. I always like listening to somewhere over the rainbow. Nice voice.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos
Sounds great! Just what I was hoping it would sound like. I always like listening to somewhere over the rainbow. Nice voice.
Thanks Thermos. It is my favorite and choice for most well written song.. of all time I think.
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Why would you want me to spend the time to do a side by side comparison of a mic you hate.?
Probably to give him a point of reference - I have an NTK that I don't much like, but it would be useful for me to hear something compared to it so that I have something to start from.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg
Not to be a pain in the ass, but I would also like to hear it side by side with the K2. I generally like the current Neumann mics, and I greatly dislike the K2.
Why would you want me to spend the time to do a side by side comparison of a mic you hate.? You know just out of curiosity.
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Why would you want me to spend the time to do a side by side comparison of a mic you hate.? You know just out of curiosity.
I think the K2 is very good mic and i would like to hear the comparisions please
Old 14th June 2006
Thanks for posting that, NoEgo,

Seems like a good sounding mic. I agree with the person who liked it through the UA-610.

Nice voice.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitney
Thanks for posting that, NoEgo,

Seems like a good sounding mic. I agree with the person who liked it through the UA-610.

Nice voice.
Thanks
OK, I like the K2 as well, and yes they do sound different
So,
Maybe I can send it through a UA M610 pre as it seems to be the most well accepted combination. The K2, the TLM49, the AEA R84 and the Soundelux U195.
These seem to be familiar mics to a lot of you.
You may be surprised with the results. I like to try and make them all sound there best even though they don't sound the same.

Give me a little time
Lou
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks
OK, I like the K2 as well, and yes they do sound different
So,
Maybe I can send it through a UA M610 pre as it seems to be the most well accepted combination. The K2, the TLM49, the AEA R84 and the Soundelux U195.
These seem to be familiar mics to a lot of you.
You may be surprised with the results. I like to try and make them all sound there best even though they don't sound the same.

Give me a little time
Lou
I, for one, would very much appreciate this.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Finally a test...........

Ok guys I finally got something to record. I recorded a Cello. Instead of just sending the raw recording I added a little SSL EQ and a bit of reverb to give a more real world listen and to show the potential of what the TLM49 can do in a final product.

The Chain - TLM49 - Martech MSS-10 Preamp - Lavry MAD Blue Converters - PT HD 7

Rob
Attached Files

TLM49 - Cello.mp3 (1.94 MB, 2938 views)

Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Hi Rob,

From what I've heard, I think it's sweet sounding mic. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

hey rob,
very nice cello recording, very sweet and velvety.

did you purposely use the TLM49 in this recording or was it rather more a of test? I know a little bit how cellos sound, or more precisely, how different every cello and every cellist sound. Would you rather use a *kind of U47* sound, like the TLM49 appears to have, than a SD or a tranparent LD (Brauner VM1) in omni for a solo -not spot mic- cello?

would be great if you can record some voice too.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Very nice ...I love the cello. I just wanted to show the raw sound of the mic at first.
I am glad there are other posters to share their experience with it. Great job.
Lou
Old 15th June 2006
500 series nutjob

nice rob!
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

I would normally reach for a ribbon for any stringed instrument (with a bow) ... but this tlm49 sounds superb ... go figure ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmekGuy
Hi Rob,

From what I've heard, I think it's sweet sounding mic. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Old 15th June 2006
Here for the gear
NEUMANN TLM149--what a mic, Coverters and more..

Hey,

Bought the TLM149 and was smiling and just kept on smiling on how it came out of my mackie HR824 monitors. I just did an acoustic guitar/vox thru a LA-610 into digi 002 and it sounds fantastic. I was using the TLM103 which is a nice mic. But it can be harsh. THe TLM149 was smooth, rich, full. I did have to crank up my GAIN and MIC PRE more than I do with the 103. But it's a great mic for the buy. As soon as I can get the cash, it's a SOUNDELUX E49 though. This will do til' then.

PS) I see someone had a Avalon 737. Does anyone have any opinions on those as compare to the UA-LA-610? Thinking it might be better with the TLM149. Do love the 610 though...Always need more gear...

PS) number #2...What are converters and do I need one for a small home studio set up, that takes most of my projects into bigger studios for mixing?

OKAY, TOO MANY TOPICS sorry! Thanks!
Old 15th June 2006
Here for the gear
I had the K2 and now have the TLM149. There is warmth in both mic for MALE VOCALS anyway. But the TLM149 far exceeds it!! H ence the price too. The K2 is a nice mic but I have problems with "SSSS"...lots of semblance stuff...But not a bad mic at all. Could be the way I was using it thru an LA-610...

Just thought I'd chime in...Hope it helps a bit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg
I guess my reply was a little cryptic.

I dislike the K2, which I demoed on 4 vocalists, sax, 3 ac gtrs, overheads, etc. So I have a good idea of the sonic characteristics I don't care for, and figure that, even on MP3, I could tell where the TLM49 falls in comparison..

Specifically, FWIW, I hear a harshness (and a slight thinness) in the high mids to highs on the K2, which I don't hear in the TLM103/M147 etc.
I also find the K2 to be muddy or murky, undefinined in the low mids. Again, I find the TLM103 to be good there.
I know there are K2 fans out there, and I'm not trying to go out of my way to bash the mic, (I've done that already ) but if the TLM49 sounds very diferent, I may like it...
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsgear
I would normally reach for a ribbon for any stringed instrument (with a bow) ... but this tlm49 sounds superb ... go figure ...
I'd love to hear the cello without reverb and how it sounds as an ambient mic. I think the TLM 49 is going to give a lot of mics a sonic-boot-in-the-ass, lmao.
Old 15th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King
Ok guys I finally got something to record. I recorded a Cello. Instead of just sending the raw recording I added a little SSL EQ and a bit of reverb to give a more real world listen and to show the potential of what the TLM49 can do in a final product.

The Chain - TLM49 - Martech MSS-10 Preamp - Lavry MAD Blue Converters - PT HD 7

Rob
Sounds beautiful (the mic and chain too). What was the mic position?

PS: Hey Rob I remember seeing your face on a EQ magazine.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich
hey rob,
very nice cello recording, very sweet and velvety.

did you purposely use the TLM49 in this recording or was it rather more a of test? I know a little bit how cellos sound, or more precisely, how different every cello and every cellist sound. Would you rather use a *kind of U47* sound, like the TLM49 appears to have, than a SD or a tranparent LD (Brauner VM1) in omni for a solo -not spot mic- cello?

would be great if you can record some voice too.
Purposely for a test. I believe that with the right ears and decent gear anything can be accomplished. I use tons of different mics for things. I am one of those "what mood am I in" mic using guys as oppossed to the same mic on the same instrument every time. That being said, I have welcomed the TLM49 into my mic collection with open arms. I can't stress enough about a great preamp and converters. They make cheap mics sound better. The pre is equally important as the mic.

Rob
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz
Sounds beautiful (the mic and chain too). What was the mic position?

PS: Hey Rob I remember seeing your face on a EQ magazine.
Not on it, but I was in the Cakewalk Sonar 5 ad's last year. ...Anyway..

The mic was about 18-24" out positioned about 4-6 inches above where the cellist bows the strings. BTW, she is also an amazing player....that helps! Just got a masters from USC in music. I work with her all the time.

Rob
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmekGuy
I'd love to hear the cello without reverb and how it sounds as an ambient mic. I think the TLM 49 is going to give a lot of mics a sonic-boot-in-the-ass, lmao.
The reason I chose not to post the raw recording is because I wanted people to just listen and enjoy what this mic can offer on a recording. I only own a few Neumann mics and they aren't really my favorites but this mic is an exceptional value and most importantly, it sounds great.

offtopic -

I just used a pair of KM183 Omnis on an acoustic guitar and felt I got one of the best recording I have ever done. I used the cardiod pattern for so long it started to become a habit so I threw those omni's up in an XY and was way happier with the results.

People need to use more Omni & Figure 8 Patterns! Ok, sorry.......

Rob
Old 15th June 2006
Here for the gear
COVERTERS for PRO TOOLS LE digi 002

Hey Rob,

Thanks for your thoughts on TLM149...If I was to purchase a converter to go thru a UA-LA-610 or an AVALON 737 into digi 002 using this Neumann TLM149 mic, would you have any thoughts on CONVERTER's, ie: brand, version, model#??

I'd truly appreciate the input.

Thanks,

Michael B.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

If you just need 2 channels of AD. all the current, Lavry, Mytek, Apogee and Lucid converters all sound great. It is really up to your ears. I chose the Lavry. My second choice was the Mytek (The older model). You can't go wrong with any of them compared to the 002 converters. Another suggestion, the Avalon 737sp is much better than the LA610. I own 2 avalons and tested the LA610 when it first came out and the compressor section wasn't even close to the LA-2A or ADL 1000 tube comps. The EQ on the Avalon is pretty nice too.

Rob
Old 15th June 2006
Here for the gear
CoVERTERS for PRO TOOLS LE digi 002

Rob,

That is great stuff! Thanks so much! I don't think I can ever return the GEAR KNOWLEDGE favor someday for it sounds like you are miles ahead of me. But it is much appreciated. Yes, the LA-610 is a great box for the cost. But I've heard the T4 COMPRESSION on it isn't as quick as keen ears would like. I myself am just sensitizing my ears to these kinf of sonic descrepancies...

Thanks much again!!

Peace,
Michael B.
http://www.michaelbrandmeier.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search