The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TLM49 First Impressions Condenser Microphones
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Well, picked mine up today and I have to say this mic is beautiful. About the same size as the giant M50. Haven't plugged it in yet, but gonna try to get to it soon....

Rob
Old 7th June 2006
7om
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush
I highly doubt that much of anything currently released will be remembered.

Current times have got to represent the worst compositional and performance quality in my lifetime.
A common refrain of old people through the years, generally indicating a perspective that is no longer relevant.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7om
A common refrain of old people through the years, generally indicating a perspective that is no longer relevant.
Generally, true. But, in this case, Plush may be right.

As far as I can remember, I've enjoyed 40's boogie, 50's R&B, 60's surf and British pop, 70's everything, 80's rock and 90's grunge. Tell me, what exactly has the 2000's have brought to the table?

Rob King, please let us know what ya' think when you've had the time to plug in the TLM49.

Laser
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7om

Unh-huh, sure.
Yeah, right, unh-huh.
yeah, that's right,
unh-huh
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush
Unh-huh, sure.
Yeah, right, unh-huh.
yeah, that's right,
unh-huh
Completely, OT---but regarding your avatar:

I was working at a gas station in San Jose around 1973 when this guy drives up in a beat up little car. He was wearing track sweats, so we struck up a conversation about track. Me, being a pretty fast runner myself, asked him what he ran in the 100 (in those days, "the 100" meant 100 yards). He smiles and in a very nonchalant way says "9.1, how 'bout you?". Well, hell, 9.1 was the world record at the time, so I asked WHO ARE YOU?

It was Tommie Smith (the guy in your avatar). So I asked him what was up with the black glove thing. He laughed and said that he and John (Carlos) thought it up before the finals--it just seemed like a cool thing to do (he also said it was mostly John's idea). He said (very convincingly) that if he had any idea what kind of mess it would cause, he would have never done it. He said he wasn't any kind of revolutionist or trouble maker--it just seemed "cool". Kind of like wearing a clever/bizarre tie to a wedding (my words, not his). Talked to him for 15 minutes or so; very much a laid back and likeable dude.

I've since read interviews he's done and now is happy for making the bold political statement--but, at the time, he thought everyone made a much bigger deal out of it than he would have ever expected.

Laser
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Well I have ordered the Pearlman TM1 myself now, as I have another tube, ribbon and condensors,dynamics, etc. I thought the mic (TLM49) might be a little high out low in. I am looking for meaty. That's why the Pearlman from what I understand.
Although I have to admit it's a little unorthodox for me to being buying a mic this way.Thanks for your honesty. A lot of people will just give a mic kudos because they put out the money.
Lou
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7om
Which is also a common refrain from know nothing young people who don't have a frame of reference for standards yet.

Most young things in the music biz these days cannot play their instruments, they have no vocal, instrumental, or compositional technique to think of. All they have on their side is youth. Banking on this alone yields a very short term investment with ordinary returns.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah ...

Put most of these pretenders in a room with JUST MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS and a tape recorder ... no producer ... no autotune ... no loops ... no samples ...

Now lets see what they can come up with ...

Any guesses?

jlsavs.
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Addict

how does the tlm49 sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King
Well, picked mine up today and I have to say this mic is beautiful. About the same size as the giant M50. Haven't plugged it in yet, but gonna try to get to it soon....

Rob

Hi Rob

How does the TLM49 sound is it brittle or harsh? as someone else on this subject
said please let us know

cheers
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt
Which is also a common refrain from know nothing young people who don't have a frame of reference for standards yet.

Most young things in the music biz these days cannot play their instruments, they have no vocal, instrumental, or compositional technique to think of. All they have on their side is youth. Banking on this alone yields a very short term investment with ordinary returns.

I'm coming from the opposite side of this. I'm older, have been playing and recording since the early Sixties, and have a pretty experienced perspective.

To be fair, many of the folks in the "good old days" couldn't play or sing very well either, which is why "The Wrecking Crew" and others did most of the playing on almost every Sixties single that was a hit. Even Brian Wilson didn't want his own brothers playing on their records

And they didn't have "Autotune" then, but they did piece together takes and edit the hell out of everything.

All in all, the musicianship (particularly drummers today) is on a higher level than it was in the Sixties because so many young kids have grown up having to learn musical styles that are much more difficult to play (i.e. metal) than a Carole King song. Fortunately, the Carole King song will still BE played a couple decades later

At any rate, I've heard a lot of great acts live ...without their studio help...and the old bands sounded just as bad in many cases (not all) as a new young band would without the studio help.

The main difference between past times and now is that the quality of the songwriting itself has changed, or should I say, what determines a "great song" today, or a "hit song" even, is different than it was. There are few Billy Joel's or Paul Simon's out there now, much less Jim Webbs or Lennon/McCartneys.

JMHO.

TH
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN
Hi Rob

How does the TLM49 sound is it brittle or harsh? as someone else on this subject
said please let us know

cheers

Well the mic is now on a mic stand...Gonna try to record something very soon on it. lol, I have about 80 Mic's so I have a ton of flavors in the studio. One of the sole reasons I purchased the mic was the specs and for using it on Voice Over recordings. I currently favor my BLUE Kiwi for this and prior to that my Soundelux iFet7, so we shall see how it stacks up to those other solid state mics.
I will say that the build quality and overall appearance of this mic is very very good. Hopefully the sound will be as favorable.

Rob
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

I posted my production gear list on my myspace account if you want to see the other mics I have.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...0-7d777746e349
Old 7th June 2006
7om
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt
As someone in my late 40's, my statement comes from enough years and expertise to have a well informed point of reference. History has repeatedly shown that the old-fart perspective was wrong, which is why there is such a rich history of innovation in classical music, jazz and rock. Lucky for us that Beethoven, Stravinsky, Dylan and the Beatles didn't give a crap about tired opinions.

It's always been a lame argument that things were better in the good old days. Evolution happens and you're either still contributing to it or your time has passed. By all means, let's enjoy the greats of yesteryear, but don't crap on everything new simply because you're unable or unwilling to sort the new wheat from the new chaff

oceantracks, appreciated your very reasonable and informed comments.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

This is not an old fart perspective and I certainly don't think all the old stuff is better neccessarily. I am referring to the modern sickness that we have at present that you don't need to put in years of training anymore before selling yourself, or that education and practice are not required. Its not only happening in the music biz either. People want instant fame and wealth these days and are less inclined to get proper training and experience first.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7om
History has repeatedly shown that the old-fart perspective was wrong, which is why there is such a rich history of innovation in classical music, jazz and rock.
History has also repeatedly shown that the old-fart perspective was often right, as much as it was wrong. You seem to remember the stuff that was wrong and are selectively forgetting the numerous times it was right. The general feeling, and I prescribe to this, is that the record producers, promoters and the audience of the last 8-10 years are ignoring the best talent in favor of worn out formulas and talentless icons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7om
Lucky for us that Beethoven, Stravinsky, Dylan and the Beatles didn't give a crap about tired opinions.
Yes, but they had something to offer. It's style versus substance. In every generation, there will be a challenge from the older generations to the new styles. Those of substance will most often endure. And that's the point: the recent generation hasn't given us a Beethoven, Stravinsky, Dylan or the Beatles.

It's that musical specialness that endures: It's why I see 13 year olds listening to the Beatles and not Herman's Hermits. It's why I listened to Buddy Rich, Les Paul, Bill Haley and the Comets, Chuck Berry and Wes Montgomery when I was a kid. Forty's boogie will always be well received, a hundred years from now. Elvis' Jailhouse Rock and 60's Motown will pass on from generation to generation. In twenty years from now, people will still be talking about the special richness of the Beach Boy's harmonies. "Dark Side of the Moon" will be played and remembered 40 years from now. Dylan's lyrics will still be admired.

Again, I ask you: What does the 2000's generation bring to the table?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7om
It's always been a lame argument that things were better in the good old days. Evolution happens and you're either still contributing to it or your time has passed.
No one is saying that it has to be better. In this case, it just is. The blame isn't the musicians--it's the music producers, the record labels and the general lack of music sophistication from those strapping on the iPODs.

I keep waiting for a musical maturity of the "next generation" to hit mainstream music. When there was that slight flicker of hope in the late 90's: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and some other more musically sophisticated styles (you know, some degree of virtuosity) that were emerging, no one was more prepared to embrace than my peers and I. Nothing could be better than the emergence of another breakthrough genre. Just add a little musicality to it. For pete sakes, there got to be more musical ideas brewing than bad rhymes, 4/4 hammering of power chords with crappy distortion, and slutty teenie-bops with stripper moves singing off key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7om
By all means, let's enjoy the greats of yesteryear, but don't crap on everything new simply because you're unable or unwilling to sort the new wheat from the new chaff
Agree. We're just asking the new generation to let the talented ones rise to the top and then raise the bar higher on those who follow.

Laser
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Could someone please post some info on this mic? We're getting very off topic here........
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

We can't compare one decade to another, they're just all different.

Btw, is the TLM49 supposed to be like an M49?
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Addict

Only the TLM49 how does it sound please?

Quote:
Well the mic is now on a mic stand...Gonna try to record something very soon on it. lol, I have about 80 Mic's so I have a ton of flavors in the studio. One of the sole reasons I purchased the mic was the specs and for using it on Voice Over recordings. I currently favor my BLUE Kiwi for this and prior to that my Soundelux iFet7, so we shall see how it stacks up to those other solid state mics.
I will say that the build quality and overall appearance of this mic is very very good. Hopefully the sound will be as favorable.

Rob
please can you tell me what it sounds like compaerd to the other mics you have Rob as i need to make a quick choice of microphone buying
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier
We can't compare one decade to another, they're just all different.

Btw, is the TLM49 supposed to be like an M49?
It looks like an M49. Seems to be similar in a solid state version...
Give me a couple days to test it...Doing a little remodeling at the moment. I will try to get a voice and acoustic guitar recording done.

Rob
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

For Laser

Laser wrote:
"Completely, OT---but regarding your avatar:. . . "

Thank you for the great story, Laser.

I will never forget watching the sprinters on the medal stand and hearing the crowd gasp as the black power salute (of course we know that's what it was in '68?) went up.

Remember the huge uproar it caused with calls to ban Carlos and Tommie?

Outrageous----their move took guts. I'll never forget the moment, so I chose it as my avatar. However, my ass is flourescent white!

It's still true, nobody beats our proud black mang sprinters!

RESPEC
Power to the People, RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 8th June 2006
Trp
Gear Addict

Sorry, off topic again, but I couldn´t resist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser
Again, I ask you: What does the 2000's generation bring to the table?
Laser
A very vivid European jazz scene. Creative electronic music, like Marc de Clive-Lowe. NuSoul (Erykah Badu, D´Angelo, India.Arie). And I do think there´s been very good pop-songwriting just like in the decades before.

On Topic: I am eager to check this mic, too!
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Trp]Sorry, off topic again, but I couldn´t resist...

A very vivid European jazz scene.
QUOTE]

Would love to hear it. It gets virtually no radio play in the US. Looks like Europe will have to resume the leadship role and invest in US exposure.

Laser
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Ok,
My curiousity got to me, and even the Neumann pages don't say much about the TLM49. I went to buy one at Long and McQuade here in town and found that they only had one unit in. They are selling it for about 1550. US and it comes with a special hard shell case and of course the shock mount. It is L and M's 50th anniversary sale all over Canada, and you get a 100.00 gift cert if you purchase. Cool. They just had time to set it up on the stand in the case for viewing and noone even tried it yet. They were preoccupied with the anniv sale.

I had mentioned earlier in the thread that I was skeptical, as it is a "TLM" and me ...me now not speaking for anyone else, felt that this line lacked bottom, and was too sharp sounding. It always depends on the source and pre (sans EQ) as well when trying a mic. I have Soundelux, AEA Ribbon,Rode Tubes and small cond, CAD, SP, Shure.... and like all for what they are. No mic is a all arounder in my opinion.

I recorded my favorite test tune Over The Rainbow in a lower key to bring all frequencies to the table. Not just mid and highs, but played the prox effect when I could.
I compared the U195 in fat mode, with the TLM49 through first my LA610 and then my Grace Design (clear) pres.
I wasn't sure how to take it through the cans, as it seemed a little brilliant and the Soundelux in fat is like a sponge tone. I played it back through the cans and first noted that it was extremely articulate. Not spongy( which I like too) but you could here the saliva shift in my throat with this thing through my Grace Design pre. It was warm and smoother through the LA610, of course the LA2A style comp helps
I burned the versions to CD and left it for morning and fresh ears in the car.
I played the versions one after another and I have to say, that articulate yet not thin or sharp sounding, is the best description in my mind, with my voice in that mellow key.. ( It is designed for voice.) No where near sharp. Not as low end as some of my mics, but with bg's the lead vocal owned the stage, even though it was the same volume. It just sounds remarkable.
Everyone wants someone to post something and I may not be the first but I will definitely try. This is a keeper for me. No doubt. It's my first Neumann, and not because I can't afford it.
The one little caviat I will throw in is that you have to have some mic technique with this mic. I don't believe it can take a hefty blow and come out sounding pretty. Maybe Neumann was thinking about Micheal Buble, or Harry Connick Jr. type of vocalists when they brought this out don't know, but there seems to be a rash of this type of artist lately. Singing the classics. I am very impressed though, as I like a good natural acoustic vibe to my recordings....for what it's worth I endorse this one for sure....it's not the answer for everthing though, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good mic. ..I am waiting for my Pearlman as well. I kind of hope they are miles apart.

Lou
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Addict

How did the test come out Rob?

Quote:
It looks like an M49. Seems to be similar in a solid state version...
Give me a couple days to test it...Doing a little remodeling at the moment. I will try to get a voice and acoustic guitar recording done.

Rob

How did the TLM49 test come out Rob when compared to you other mics?
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Has anyone had the chance to hear the differences between the TLM 49 and an M147?
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Dudes, of COURSE pop music sucks! The record industry can't grab on to the wet bar of soap hard enough, and it just gets more slippery all the time. They would never let anything even REMOTELY interesting past their front door.

But people are people, same as they ever were. There are tons of phenomenally talented, super dedicated and amazing young musicians/artists out there. You just have to look a little harder to find them. I have many handfulls of friends who could take most of the old generation to school when it came to dedication, hard work and the music that results from such practice.

Anyone who thinks this generation has no talent just doesn't know where to look.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

And I would love to hear samples of the tlm 49, particuarly on male vox.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
"Anyone who thinks this generation has no talent just doesn't know where to look".

I agree, and I am from an little older generation.

Anyway I am trying to get samples of the TLM49 done.
If anyone cares..and they don't mind that it is an old song...I should be sick of by the time I am done.!
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Ok,
Forgive the voice but I am pretty sick of this old classic.

1) All takes are without eq and without compression. Just the pre and mic
2) I purposely recorded the two distances to give a distant and a close up using proximity.
3) On the close up I used technique so as not to overload the mic.
4) The guitar was pre recorded through a Rode K2 mic without eq or compression, so any difference is completely from reacting with the TLM49 and voice/pre combination.
5) Sung in treated room Primacoustic system of my studio.
Attached Files

NeumanTLM49.mp3 (4.08 MB, 5874 views)

Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Fun hearing you in my livingroom ...would like to hear a whole set!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search