The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TLM49 First Impressions Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ultimately, the new Neumanns stuff is no more than a clone anyways. Their modern stuff is a shadow of their vintage stuff!
I wouldn't go so far as to say that the new Neumanns are clones...they don't really have any intention of cloning their own models. Their current microphones are based on them in ways as they say, but they're certainly not clones. It seems like it would be easy for them to sit back and sell their older designs, but that doesn't seem to be what they're interested in.

As for their new stuff being a shadow of their old stuff, that's fairly subjective. It's true that many people do feel that way, but at the same time there are definitely a lot of people buying their new stuff as well, so somebody out there likes it. It will be interesting to see how people feel about their current designs ten or twenty years from now...

-Duardo
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Addict

TLM49 Anymore testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbar
Ok, so here it is. I only had 2 days, about 2 hours a day to evaluate. First off, in all fairness, I couldn't evaluate the Soundelux U195 I bought since the mic had a problem, so back it went.

I love the sound of the TLM49 on my voice and acoustic guitar. Real deep rich lows, very present throughout the range and nice on the top end without being harsh. No sibilance issues whatsoever on vox. My acoustic just sounded so full and clear and big as well. I am really impressed so far and am looking forward to using this mic more. I actually liked it a bit more than the U87 which was ok but didn't work as well on my voice.
Hi redrue
Have you done any more testing of the TLM49 can you tell me more about the difference between the U78ai and the TLM49. anything else you can tell me will help.
Thanks inadvance
Old 25th May 2006
Here for the gear

Negative on the foam. Mic comes mounted in the shockmount in a cardboard box, wrapped in plastic. A patch of foam on the bottom and top of box, thats it. I spoke with Neumann and they said a wood box is in the works in the near future as an accessory.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ashley
redrue,

where did you buy yours from?

I phoned "my guy" @ sennheiser UK 2day. He said that they'd had one TLM49 that went to Travis ... he said it looked like a pre-production version. He also said they wouldn't be getting anymore of them till the end of August :-(
I've asked him to put aside a pair of them for me to try out ... Seemingly the American's got them first tutt
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thats strange, i have been told two more weeks from senn uk.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing
Thats strange, i have been told two more weeks from senn uk.
... Aw Naw, maybe "my guy" @ sennheiser isn't "my guy" anymore

kingofswing, if u get urs in a couple of weeks, please let me know ....

Ta
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

thats fine, but it seems like you have a closer contact, and the August thing could be true.

I dont see the delay though, i mean we are in the UK fgs.

The price also seems a little steep in the UK @ 899+Vat
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound
But the records made with them might be...

I highly doubt that much of anything currently released will be remembered.

Current times have got to represent the worst compositional and performance quality in my lifetime. dfegad Engineering skills are on the skid too.

Dream on. . .
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush
I highly doubt that much of anything currently released will be remembered.

Current times have got to represent the worst compositional and performance quality in my lifetime. dfegad Engineering skills are on the skid too.

Dream on. . .

... Are u saying that The Artic Monkeys, White Stripes, Norah Jones, U2, Ron Sexsmith, Coldplay ..... haven't made great sounding albums over the last few years ?
... man, go buy some new records NOW !!!!
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzu
... Are u saying that The Artic Monkeys, White Stripes, Norah Jones, U2, Ron Sexsmith, Coldplay ..... haven't made great sounding albums over the last few years ?
... man, go buy some new records NOW !!!!
Artic Monkeys--OK--basically zeroed out in 1 year
White Stripes--disposable music and horrid production values--zeroed out within a year
U2--without Eno, nothing--still good production values
Norah Jones--recycled and pitch corrected--zeroed out
Ron Sexsmith--I'll check him out
Coldplay--excellent production--memorable in 25 years??--perhaps--

My comments in the previous posting hold for most modern rock. Memorable in 25 years---awfully sorry. . .
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
White Stripes--disposable music and horrid production values--zeroed out within a year

My comments in the previous posting hold for most modern rock. Memorable in 25 years---awfully sorry. . .
Wow, why not just admit the truth, that you really hate music
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

I stand by my commentary.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

I mostly agree.

Arctic monkeys - just fashion and hype. When you get down to the songs - there are none!

White stripes - take them or Leve them.

U2 - last two albums are class in terms of songs. Production and recording dont grab me.

Norah Jones - I love. Class

Ron Sexsmith - great surname. Need to check this guy out.

Coldplay - beautiful first album. Second very good but sliped a bit. 3rd album - you can tell he's married into hollywood. Well gone up his own arse. Songs reflect this.

all in my honest opinion.

Still looking to see of there are going to be any new Pink Floyd's, new Police, new U2's. And the current cream of the crop, uk at least, is bad it's just that everyone is suckered into thinking it's good cause we have had nearly a decade of Atomic kitten, Westlife, Steps, Ronan keating, Boyszone - oh my god my head hurts.

Paul
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Nut

Comment about TLM 49

Hello gear lovers,

I have a very small collection of Microphones to record spoken word. I specialized in speech recording sin I am a voice-over Talent.

Since they said is good for voice-over, I had to buy one TLM49 for my studios.

Yes...It comes in a regular cardboard box. No wooden box.

I A/B with Nuemann U87Ai, Manley Cardioide, Brauner Phantom C, CAD Equitek 350, Neumann M149, TLM 103.

Front end: Chandler LTD1, 1176LN, Rossetta 200.

IMHO: It sounds similar to:

1) the CAD E-350 (discontinued) A microphone that the experts say is a good pretender of the acclaimed U47.

2) Neumann M149

Just for the record: As all of you guys already know: No clone...or U47 replica or imitation sounds close to the real deal (a healthy 47 with M7 capsule, VF14M tube, VB8 Transformer)

My conclusion: Is a good Vocal mic to have in your mic locker..... shop around before you buy to get lowest price....

I think for my application: is a good VOICE OVER microphone.
Old 27th May 2006
nice to hear from another E-350 aprreciator! i have one as well and absolutely love it. have yet to find something that it doesn't sound amazing on.

cheers, warner
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Finally I had chace to listen to TLM49, in other guy's place, so cannot say 100%, but seems that this is huge mic for mere 1500 $ (really possible?).
In general new Neumanns are not what I like pretty much, but this baby could be new affordable star.
Well, I have to wait until I get one for full comparison with heawyeighters, but first audition result is impressive.
Also, seems that people react to Neumann instantly and positively, in same studio 9 people out of 10 have chosen TLM49 over Soundelux and Wunder (it was not test, just mic casting)
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Addict

Thanks everyone!
Any more testers or users out their of the NeumannTLM 49?
more comments please ?
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Ron Sexmith is great. Hes a real songwriter. I'm pretty sure that Paul Mcartney and Elvis Costello are fans, which would make sense since he is writing better songs now than either of them.
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos
Ron Sexmith is great. Hes a real songwriter.
Spooky I just went to a party this weekend and he was there. We played soccer (he's quite good) and later on in the evening he picked up an acoustic guitar and we were all singing along. I was thinking to myself, I know so many people that are HUGE fans of Ron, they'd give their firstborn to be experiencing this right now
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

To stay more on topic, any TLM 49 users care to post up a vocal clip or something.

cheers.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah ... let's HEAR the freakin' thing !!!

Or even some more review comments ... pllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeease !

jls
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxPro

I think for my application: is a good VOICE OVER microphone.
I have to disagree there. My experience with it wasn't all that good for VO and I ended up going back to the U87 and Peluso 2247 LE for VO

I liked the 49 better than most of the TLM series, but for the cost, I think the Peluso gave me more of what I wanted.

but that's just my opinion, and everyone's got one.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing
In saying that, a clone will always be a clone. None of those brands will be remembered in 40-50 years time IMO.
No offense but Who Cares? Do you want your mic to be remembered or the music you made?

Dan Fox
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

I know what your saying, but why do people go on about U47's and C12's and Telefunkens, and...

do you see my point? If not, no probs. I couldnt care less myself, i was just making a point that a clone has very little chance of being remembered (in years to come) other than its a 'clone'.

FWIW the music is all that counts.
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Ron Sexmith rocks! Give him some time. My son met him last week, through his radio station. I have been a fan for years. Him and Jackson Browne...my favorites.

I was looking seriously at the Pearlman TM1 and saw the ad for the TLM49 in Long and McQuade's flyer. Because of the TLM 103 I was a little skeptical.

How is the headroom, being transformerless? Can you wail at it? Can you distance mic a cab with it?
This is what I would like to know.
Thanks
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Sometimes I wonder if I've been cloned in my sleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo
Ron Sexmith rocks! Give him some time. My son met him last week, through his radio station. I have been a fan for years. Him and Jackson Browne...my favorites.

I was looking seriously at the Pearlman TM1 and saw the ad for the TLM49 in Long and McQuade's flyer. Because of the TLM 103 I was a little skeptical.

How is the headroom, being transformerless? Can you wail at it? Can you distance mic a cab with it?
This is what I would like to know.
Thanks
Reading thru this thread, I was forming my own post in my head...got to this last post here (hi calgary ) and it is word for word what I'd planned to say and ask...from the TM1 to the flyer to the 103 skepticism (I don't know if I've used it more than once the whole time I've had it).

And I love Ron Sexsmith too (and Jackson Browne). Real crafty guys.
The only exceptions to our sameness: I don't have a son and I don't think my daughter has met him yet (she's six).

Back on topic, I'm wondering the same questions as above (hence the needless post, really just a 'bump' for the questions). Headroom, wailing potential (really close up), cab miking? Anyone?
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Gonna pick mine up tomorrow. Serial #99. I will try to post some results when I have some time.

Rob
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Head

TLM 49

I just finished trying it out for a few days with a singer I'm working with and it sure didn't work for his voice. Tracks were very harsh and brittle almost shrill the GR MP2nv. Very detailed but not in a good way on this guys voice. Might work on other singers but I sure want to check it out before I bought this micheh .
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metatone
Reading thru this thread, I was forming my own post in my head...got to this last post here (hi calgary ) and it is word for word what I'd planned to say and ask...from the TM1 to the flyer to the 103 skepticism (I don't know if I've used it more than once the whole time I've had it).

And I love Ron Sexsmith too (and Jackson Browne). Real crafty guys.
The only exceptions to our sameness: I don't have a son and I don't think my daughter has met him yet (she's six).

Back on topic, I'm wondering the same questions as above (hence the needless post, really just a 'bump' for the questions). Headroom, wailing potential (really close up), cab miking? Anyone?

Cool

Back at you...Metatone...wherever you may be.
So back to the question anyone?

Bernard, you said shrill the Great River.. Do you mean through the Great River the TLM49 was shrill sounding.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo
Cool

Bernard, you said shrill the Great River.. Do you mean through the Great River the TLM49 was shrill sounding.
Yes. However,I have never had occasion to describe the GR Mp2nv as shrill. It's my #1 go to mic pre and usually it will work on most everything I've tried through it. Unfortunately I didn't have time to try the TLM 49 with any of my other pres or any other voices or instruments. Most importantly, this is only my opinion and the only other wisdom that I can add is that you should try it for yourself and let your ears decide.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search