The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which monitor controller do you use? Monitor Controllers
Old 3rd March 2010
Gear Addict

+1 PreSonus Central Station. No worries.
Too many crappy opamps in the Big Knob.
Old 3rd March 2010
Lives for gear
I recently got a Grace 904b and an m201 with the A/D option. I was upgrading the whole system, so having the 201's A/D and the 904's D/A made alot of sense. I'm diggin' both!
Old 3rd March 2010
Gear Maniac

I just picked up the NHT controller that was mentioned. I was looking for something super simple, low-cost, and unobtrusive. I can't wait to give it a go.
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

So, for my system we have a Yamaha DM2000 that acts as main monitor controller. This works nicely, but what I need now is to construct a producers desk with two small nearfields, headphone amp(/s) and talkback.

Now, actually the product I'm looking for would have one or two stereo inputs, a headphone amp and one speaker output. It must have a talkback function which dims the monitors and - here's the kicker - must feature a talkback remote out.

With remote out, I'm not looking for a footwitch in port that enables the talkback function - I'm sortof looking for the footswitch output. I just need to get an output that closes the circuit when activating the talkback.

This will be used to also access the talkback function on the DM2000 via the GPIO connector.
Old 15th March 2010
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmichael View Post
does a mackie big knob color the sound?
I'd have to say it does, and like most passive controllers from what I understand, you tend to lose signal to one side when monitoring at extremely low levels.

Talk about extremes, when I'm in the States, I use an Avocet and up here, this Big Knob. The BK is better than nothing but the Avocet is such an extreme step up it's difficult to categorize them together.
Old 15th March 2010
Gear Maniac

SPL 2Control

I replaced my Mackie Big Knob with an SPL 2Control. Best thing I've ever done - couldn't be happier.

I don't care what others say, I can only speak for myself and the Mackie colored my sound big time.

So far I have absolutely no problem with the SPL and can only recommend it.

the O
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

I replaced my Big Knob with an Avocet - a big leap forward.
Old 15th March 2010
Gear Addict

Coleman TB4
Old 16th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
I hope that KuSh Audio comes out with something that is just what I am looking for!

Summer NAMM baby!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 16th March 2010
Gear Maniac

you could check out danfield monitor2
Buy Danfield Products | AltoMusic.com

Danfield Audio - new products

I got one and like it, hooked up with the danfield pm2 headphoneamp.

I had SPL MTC 2381 it sounded good,but I had some issues, mainly with the potentiometer, so...

regards
Søren Bendixen
Old 16th March 2010
Gear Addict

central station here, no worries so far
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear
yamaha rm800-24 board. to each their own - I have no problem with my signal going through my board before monitoring... but if I did then I wouldn't be going for a passive controller because electronically speaking an active controller will present the ideal (read: correct) loads to the in and out lines.

But both do seem to work really well in the better quality monitor controllers.

the Presonus box doesn't color the sound at all from my experience with one, it was fantastic.

and EVERY potentiometer in the world has tolerance issues toward one end of the dial or the other, which means every volume control on every device has a certain percent chance of being wacky when turned down most of the way. However I suppose in the more expensive controllers the builders test them and discard the worst pots.

But for me I'm quite happy with my mixer thanks. It does happen to be a very high quality and very neutral sounding mixer, and it's own monitor level control works great. I use passive monitors and do volume control/matching using their preamps/power amps as well, and I have multiple amps/pres for various uses. If I had a chance I would grab a presonus, but nothing more - there isn't any point in it for my setup. There are two many other "impure" bits in my signal chain.

But I'm not a believer in less is better (is in passive is always better than active for example). I'm just a believer in what sounds best followed by what tests best.

YMMV

I can however volunteer that I have used and didn't like very much the big knob. it works, but it does have a certain sound which is very subtly different than the direct sound. Not a big problem I suppose. It's better than a $50 behringer minimon LoL :-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search