The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which monitor controller do you use?
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrogantbastard View Post
I've got the SPL MTC2381. It's cool. No problems, sounds clean. I'm selling it soon though since I'm getting a Tonelux with a control room section.
+1

We use it with a pedal switch to control talkback.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdyrocker View Post
I do not know if a lot of people know about them but I use the NHT Pro PVC (Passive Volume Control) and I think it is great.
So do I. I made the mistake of getting the Samson C-control and it took away my will to mix.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
...There is one from Martinsound that seems very nice but priced around 3K.
Does it worth the money?...
Our MultiMAX EXR is US$3,195.00. It was designed to add surround monitoring to an existing console - five inputs/each with eight channels, downmix monitoring, etc. - but works great as a monitor controller if it has the features you need. Thousands of them are in use every day, and you have heard few movies and mainstream TV shows that haven't used them at some point in the Post Production process. Low noise/low coloration sound, great workflow design, etc.

We also have a stereo monitor controller, MonitorMAX, for uS$1,995.00. Ten stereo inputs, three system outputs, talkback, etc.

These are a great value if the feature set is what you need. There are a lot of great units out there with different feature sets, from simple passive stereo level controls to premium-priced custom units.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
I've taken a look to Grace stuff but it seems that every product has coverters on board and since I've already have a pretty good one I'm looking for a unit that doesn't have converters in it. Has anyone never heard Audient stuff? They make one 7.1 that seems nice.
We have delivered a few ASP510s...the customers bought more...they must like it.

The Martinsound Surround controller very good...multiple inputs for stems

The Avocet has great sonics & flexible inputs...but gets pricey in surround as it includes DA conversion
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousfun View Post
We also have a stereo monitor controller, MonitorMAX, for uS$1,995.00. Ten stereo inputs, three system outputs, talkback, etc.
We just got one of these but haven't wired it up yet. Just curious, how did you handle wiring it to the main monitoring DAC in your control room? Ours is a Mytek 8x192, meaning that we're going Dsub-to-Dsub. On the one hand, we'd like to hard-wire channels 1-2 to the MonitorMAX, so we have an extremely short and uncomplicated signal path for those critical channels. On the other hand, we need to grab DAC channels 3-8 out of the Mytek and send them elsewhere -- possibly hard-wire to a cue system, more likely to patch.

It seems crazy to make a custom snake where channels 1-2 on two Dsubs are wired together, and the other 12 channels (Mytek DAC 3-8 and stereo inputs 2, 3 and 4 on the Martinsound) go to patch. On the other hand ... what better can we do, really?

JSL
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Crane Song Avocet

I have a Crane Song Avocet surround system .

and yes , I do love it !
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

Coleman M3! Sounds great and very easy to use, though a bit expensive.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
We just got one of these but haven't wired it up yet. Just curious, how did you handle wiring it to the main monitoring DAC in your control room? Ours is a Mytek 8x192, meaning that we're going Dsub-to-Dsub. On the one hand, we'd like to hard-wire channels 1-2 to the MonitorMAX, so we have an extremely short and uncomplicated signal path for those critical channels. On the other hand, we need to grab DAC channels 3-8 out of the Mytek and send them elsewhere -- possibly hard-wire to a cue system, more likely to patch.

It seems crazy to make a custom snake where channels 1-2 on two Dsubs are wired together, and the other 12 channels (Mytek DAC 3-8 and stereo inputs 2, 3 and 4 on the Martinsound) go to patch. On the other hand ... what better can we do, really?

JSL
Yes, a custom snake with 1&2 hard wired and the others going to the patchbay. It's probably less convoluted than DSUB to XLRM and DSUB to XLRF, etc.

Going through the patch bay shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Nut

I am using the Grace M-906. = It is Awesome! I can switch from 5.1 Surround from my DAW, to 2 channel Analog from my Console instantly. As well as CD Playback, DVD/SACD surround mixes, 2 track 1/2" Tape, and almost any other source you could possibly want. - Its dead quiet, and the sound is completely transparent.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have Crane Song Avocet. Just about perfect.

Actually I bought it to replace the aging stereo pre-amp. Really nice to have several outputs. I have 2 DAWs (PC system with Prism Orpheus with s/pdif & MacPro native from Toslink to s/pdif converted by PC-link II) & CD-player on digital inputs, tuner on analog in, 2 unused analogs at the moment. Active tabletop and main monitors on outs.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Presonus Central Station. I'm happy with it. I'm aware of it's flaws but am not too bothered bay them. I had thought of getting a better unit but since I'm toying with the idea of a console I have decided to wait and save the money.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

I use a Dangerous Monitor ST. Fabulous piece of kit!

Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

Crookwood

Very good indeed.

Welcome to Crookwood
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

CraneSong Avocet at my place, very flexible and good sounding. Disclaimer: I have no experience with other controllers, so I can't really recommend the Avocet above others. What I like about the Avocet is that it has lots of inputs, dedicated mono and phase buttons and a steppet potmeter. And it is built like a tank.

Stein Tore
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Guru

Grace m902B for me.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Addict

I'm not using it (wish), but this one looks absolutely smokin:

Agent Audio
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac

That Agent thing looks pretty cool. I'm using Tonelux and LOVE it!

Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Just remember the MartinSound is unbalanced throughout. This is a particular sticking point with me in a large studio setup. You can cobble together a "balanced" version by buying thees addon modules -- but the whole setup becomes ridiculous. I was a little offended by the guys over at MartinSound when they more or less were nickel/diming to get a balanced version together. The Avocet/Grace Designs are mostly balanced throughout (with the obvious exceptions for consumer inputs)

However, the MultiMax's controller functions are really good for tuning/working in surround. I've also had lots of experience on the Grace Designs (mostly surround 906, but once or twice on the 904 stereo version), the Avocet stereo, and a lot of time/years with the MartinSound surround (EX) setup. You really have to read the manuals/diagrams to make sure everything you want is covered in whichever you choose, but all of the above are pretty good to great. It really comes down to your method of working and what your digital needs are.

I've also used the:

PreSonus Central Station. Tends to have silly problems; the power supply connector loosened up, the talkback button puts a thump on the signal when engaged/disengaged from the remote but not the rack, the trims/digital on it are pretty bad for the sound can clip too easily from digital inputs.

The Tascam DS-M7.1. This is a real joke. The digital inputs are horrible. The software interface is horrible. The remote is clunky. Bad news all around.

The SPL 2489-SMC. SPL should stop selling this until they can get it to the higher standards of their other products. It could be a manufacturing issue or a design issue. Problems seen: The channel latching not bringing a speaker back.. when actually re-engaging a channel you sometimes have to press it in/out a few times to get it to catch; The unbalanced inputs having a tremendous hum problem when the lfe input is connected - and no, there is no ground loop problem; Cross-talk between different inputs (how this is possible, I don't know.) SPL's stuff is usually really good -- this one isn't and it's shoddy to the point of being semi unusable because of reliability.

All of the above comments are based on multiple units in different studios -- not based on a single device that may need servicing or just be the odd one out.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Addict

Grace 904 here.....thumbsup

Very flexible analog & digital I/O, complete control over level calibration and an absolute briliant DA.....i'm very happy that my desk's monitor section is out of the way
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I love the Qes labs smc-7 stereo controller.
It's a 1U rackmount, mostly passive with active summing,
and has a stereo phase correlation meter which helped me a lot during a live recording.
Since it's passive, it doesn't add any coloration, and is perfect for dead flat monitoring.
Old 17th November 2009
Here for the gear

Crookwood. nice features, tons of options, totally invisible.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Had and loved a grace m906 for years.
Replaced it with a prism ADA 8 XR and a d-command and quite enjoy the sound.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Feature wise, I really appreciate the Presonus Central Station.

-Remote
-Cue inputs
-talkback

The best option for me would be the Avocet, but it has many features (digital) that are not applicable to me, and the price is a little disconcerting.

I hope that KuSh Audio comes out with something that is just what I am looking for!
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Which monitor controller do you use?-img_0279.jpg
Old 4th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Just remember the MartinSound is unbalanced throughout. ...
All of MultiMAX's inputs are +4 balanced. All of MultiMAX's outputs are +4 balanced except for its monitor outputs. This design is consistent with many console monitor sections, and most power amplifiers are perfectly compatible with this.

We realize that most speakers are internally amplified these days, that many monitor systems include equalization, crossovers, or other devices after the monitor controller, and that they perform better with a balanced output. We offer the SB-16 to balance these monitor outputs. The SB-16 can be attached directly to the DSUB connectors or mounted externally and connected with DSUB cables.

There are probably more MultiMAXs in use than all other surround monitor controllers combined. A small percentage use SB-16s- if you have an otherwise noisy monitor system, if you are in a high-RF environment (NYC), or experience noise from long unbalanced cables, you might need to balance these outputs. Most systems, with proper gain structure addressed (I'm not suggesting you are doing anything wrong) present the MultiMAX with a quiet signal and adding 6 dB of gain at the monitors or power amp correct the loss when using unbalanced outputs into balanced inputs.

Our MonitorMAX 2-channel monitor controller has balanced outputs.
Old 4th February 2010
Lives for gear

I've been using an SPL MTC2381 for the last 4 years or so.
It is pretty clean and flexible for my methods.

I like the ability to monitor multiple sources at the same time, which I know some other products don't allow.
I'm often doing editing jobs that take hours and it is nice to be able to hear the DVD player audio through the main monitors.
I would prefer trim pots on the inputs and outputs, even internal ones though.

I've been planning on upgrading it at some stage but for now it is fine.
Old 3rd March 2010
Gear Head

I'm receiving delivery of a crookwood in a few weeks.

The Presonus CS has served me well for a many years. It's hard to beat the performance/ price ratio. I could monitor main, compressor and reverb from main, alt and optical in three button pushes and swap outputs in as much time. What more do you want from $400?

The crookwood is more than 7 times the price (The dorrough meter I have costs as much as the CS!). Five years ago I wouldn't have known what to do with it and what it was good for. Now I'm ready for it – and from the experience I've gotten from using the presonus day in and day out.

Does that make sense?

Both units are way ahead of the Neotek and MCI center sections I used before (except for maybe for aux section and I do miss this bit a lot).
Old 3rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmichael View Post
does a mackie big knob color the sound?
I'd be curious about this too. I'm sure it degrades it a little, I don't know about color. Someone else should chime in.
Old 3rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Dangerous Monitor ST here. Never tried any other pieces but it just offers so much functionality with such a stylish and functional controller. The Avocet's controller was just so much bigger and the ST just uses an RJ45 connector instead of a D-Sub like the Avocet.
Old 3rd March 2010
Gear Head

Big Knob

If you have a Mackie Big Knob and it IS distorting the sound passing through it, clean your connectors or send it for service.

The monitor mix out of my DAW/mixer going through mine, or bypassing it straight to my PMCs, is indistinguishable.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search