The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Germanium with prosumer converters?
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Germanium with prosumer converters?

Is this a waste?

Should I wait until I purchase the Aurora?...currently have a Delta 1010.

Much thanks for any input.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

It is never a waste to buy high quality audio gear that will last your entire career.

The only "waste" is buying cheap crap, or middle-of-the-road crap that will frustrate you, and force you to sell (at a loss) and eventually buy the good stuff (at a higher price). That is a waste.

We can't all buy everything we need all at once - but you will only complicate matters by not buying good stuff when you can.

I would respectfully like to kill this idea that gear should only be used with similar quality gear. Every link in the chain matters, so never choose to lower your standards just because you don't have everything you need right now. You get trapped in an endless cycle of incremental upgrades, haemoraging money through every orifice.

In the scheme of things, you would be throwing away both the Delta and the Aurora. Digital things never last - but quality preamps will stand the test of time.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Nut

Wow. Well said Kiwi, and couldn't be more correct. Especially the point about the ever-changing world of digital gear.

I bought a bunch of prosumer stuff based on nothing but a bunch of magazine reviews a few years back, and now realize, in very large part to Gearslutz, that I didn't have the whole picture at the time. Now I'm taking a more educated look at stuff that will last.

Similar question: I'm using a MOTU 2408 for conversion and am thinking of getting something better...eventually ($). How much difference can great converters make? Is it THAT noticeable? Certainly not as noticable as the difference between a great pre or mic and a mediocre one--right?

Thanks.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Kiwi,

I'm all for jumping in there a springing for the Germ, and probably will. And I agree a great pre will out last an obsolete A/D D/A converter.

Trying to get a "look ahead" on the sonic results just the same. From the tracks I've heard the Germ sound huge with the warm factor to boot. My assumption would be a bit of quality would be lost using the Delta.

...But that's just an assumption.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Addict

well, I would get the Germ. See, oneday I was useing a 001 with a digimax 96 and a eureka. I could hear a BIG difference between the 2 pres. What goes in comes out..you know?
I think it would be great for you..+ when you get better converters...you will still have the great pre to go with it. However, in the meantime...you can get a better sound with what you got know.

I don't see how it would be a waste. Just my thoughts.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

i cant speak for the germ but IMO the biggest difference comes from the the right mic for the source then the pre then the converters.
while the M-Audio converters certainly arnt great they are good enough to notice the difference of a good pre.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie
while the M-Audio converters certainly arnt great they are good enough to notice the difference of a good pre.
Thanks Aussie,

I'm hoping that's the case, had the Neve Portico in for a test drive...and though the color was a little different...the results were less than stellar.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Addict

What he said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie
i cant speak for the germ but IMO the biggest difference comes from the the right mic for the source then the pre then the converters.
Likewise for me--if you have to pick the order of importance it's a direct line in from performer to software (in decending order):

1. Player
2. Instrument
3. Mic
4. Pre
5. Comp / EQ
6. Converters
7. Software (distant last)

Give priority to the more important factors and you'll make smarter purchases.

Btw, I've got a couple Germs and they're great--amazing on vocals, bass, and guitars.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Definitely, you won't regret the Germanium purchase. I was the originator of the Germ First Impressions thread, having posted a track that was recorded entirely with the Germs (save for the drums which were sampled) straight into an M-Audio Project Mix interface. They still made a vast improvement in my recordings, and I shudder to think how much better they would sound through high end outboard converters.

I've bought and sold a lot of gear trying to maximize the ole sonic impact per dollar factor, including an Apogee Rosetta 200, and I have to say the Germs are the only piece of gear I've ever owned that I knew within five minutes would always be with me.

Best,
Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search