The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording and mixing in the same room. Advice from experience needed.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Nut

Recording and mixing in the same room. Advice from experience needed.

We are currently putting together a project space, and as space is limited, we've decided to maximize acoustic space in one room instead of making a small control room and a small live room (I've been under the impression that this is the best way to go rather than two compromised rooms).

However, I'm concerned about monitoring and workflow. Among other things, I'm guessing quality headphones will have to play somewhat of a role when placing mics correctly, right? Is trusting headphones acceptable or simply neccessary?

Anyway, any and all suggestions from people who've learned to function in this type of environment is greatly appreciated. Knowing what to avoid, and will make life easier from the outset will help greatly. Thanks!

Will
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

The best way to do this is to experiment and listen back...headphones aren't that helpful (especially with something loud like gtrs/drums). After a while you'll have a good instinct for mic placement and eq, listen back after a take and make the right changes.
-brian
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

bpatural is right on...

it just takes experience and knowledge to KNOW what something will probably sound like when you are working in one big room.

for me, the tradeoff for the increased communication and vibe is EVERYTHING...I love working in a single room...done it alot.

the room i am working on now will have the recording space in the same room as the "control room" i am building smaller areas that will be isolated for several reasons....to track loud guitars, to have an opportunity to completely isolate something if I HAVE to hear it only through speakers...and to give a few more acoustic options.

for me....its the only way to go...i love it....give it a shot...you'd be surprised..

just keep in mind, that acoustic treatment will still be needed....even if you dont have to worry about isolation between rooms....the SOUND of that single room WILL be paramount...

good luck with it...
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

I think at very least you need a seperate "machine room" for noisy machines, like your PC and harddrives and power amps with acoustic hum and stuff like that.

My current studio I built with two rooms (3 counting the entrance). I avoid the usual us/them control/tracking room scenario, because I usually sit in the tracking room. I can control my PC from either room, with duplicate KVM.

I know people do it - but I couldn't stand the noise issues of just a single room.
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

i work in a project studio with no control room. i get control by recording a snippet and listening back. have the drummer play for a minute and audition the sound. it takes a little time and a different way of thinking, but it actually takes no longer than working through a control room talkback. just gotta learn the room and start to trust what you know about it.

best,
rlnyc.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

I struggled in my single room situation until I bought a set of these:

http://www.remoteaudio.com/hn7506.htm

It's a pair of Sony 7506 drivers in 45 db isolation cans.

Now I can hear fairly reliably on issues of mic choice and placement, even with a drummer pounding or an amp blasting away in front of me.

Works for me.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Guru

i'll tell you this much: if your room sounds great, you can stick a good mic damn near anyplace in the vicinity of the source and it'll sound good. moving it around will give you different flava, but it's all tasty.

so put your focus on the acoustics of the room, mostly realtraps and diffusors, and some curtains for variable absorption. tracking is everything, and in a good space tracking is ridiculously easy.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear
I've done this before. You've just got to listen around the room and find good spots for your room mics. Record then listen back and adjust things accordingly. Do the same with pretty much your full mic setup and solo things to see if everything is cool. Listen to everything to make sure phase stuff isn't messing things up. Use the headphones just to listen for pops and over's and such and you should be fine.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
i'll tell you this much: if your room sounds great, you can stick a good mic damn near anyplace in the vicinity of the source and it'll sound good. moving it around will give you different flava, but it's all tasty.

so put your focus on the acoustics of the room, mostly realtraps and diffusors, and some curtains for variable absorption. tracking is everything, and in a good space tracking is ridiculously easy.

gregoire
del ubik
yep. I've done it before
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyway, any and all suggestions from people who've learned to function in this type of environment is greatly appreciated.
I've been functioning that way for decades and decades ...and it's a pain!
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screws
I struggled in my single room situation until I bought a set of these:

http://www.remoteaudio.com/hn7506.htm

It's a pair of Sony 7506 drivers in 45 db isolation cans.

Now I can hear fairly reliably on issues of mic choice and placement, even with a drummer pounding or an amp blasting away in front of me.

Works for me.

Holy Cow!!
These are exactly what I've been needing...
And Holy #hit!! $285
Now how bad do I need them
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

sorry for resurrecting..

but what about mixing time? potentially, does the room sound during tracking mess with audio coming out of speakers into the same room, thereby creating extra "same" frequency build-ups?
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Maniac

I track in one room...a Large room....I built a 10x10 drum room in an octogon shape and have the glass sliding doors towards my console so I can communicate with the drummer. (eye contact is VERY important to me). I'm also set-up with monitors thru-out the studio (2 pairs of hr-824's with a switch witch) and a headphone dist. amp with sony headphones. The room is very relaxed for me which is important because I spend so much time there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search