The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BEST Near Field Monitors SURVEY Studio Monitors
Old 17th June 2006
High Fidelity
My recommendations would be Tannoy System 6 or 8 DMT II (passive), Amphion Argon 2 (passive high-end HiFi), Sonus Faber Concerto or Cremona Auditor (passive high-end HiFi) and Focal Pro SM-8 (active with integrated DSP signal processing).

Nearfield monitors needs to seat imperatively on 90-120cm high speaker stands at least 100cm away from the console meter to avoid any console top and channels surface reflection (creating huge comb filtering with typical first notch at 160-200Hz or so).

Then you can achieve necessary nearfield requirements:

- Flat frequency and midrange-high flat phase loudspeaker
- Near point source (ideally co-axial) with 90° directivity which means the frequency response does not change regardless of mixing position : on the left end at the channel 1 EQ, center master section or right patching are
- Good transient response, low time and harmonic distortion for 85dB SPL at listening position (ear fatigue/stress)
- Nearfield monitors must be vertically positioned
- Speaker stand mounting to avoid imperatively comb filtering from console immediate reflections to listener position

To learn more:

http://www.genelec.com/support/publications.php

NS-10M seating horizontally on the console meter bench are quite away from ideal nearfield monitoring, especially given age of drivers technology...

http://www.bobhodas.com/pub1.html
http://www.bobhodas.com/tissue.html
http://www.audioforums.com/forums/ar...hp/t-7923.html

Next time you are in a studio and want to test the existing near field, make a very simple test:

1) From dead center position (use a ruler or a thin rope to check really equal distance to each box) oscillate your head from let to right +/-10cm -- the sound timber should not change and some instrument or center vocal jump brutaly from left to right (otherwise huge phasing is happening)
2) From dead center position, rolls slowly and silently on the engineer chair and oscillate your complete body from let to right +/-100cm -- the sound timber should not change globally very much and especially the critical 1-2kHz should remain unaltered (otherwise strong level changes from improper speaker distance/angle and comb filtering from console surface reflections are happening)
3) From dead center position, rolls on the engineer chair with the head completely over the console (above master section) and backward 1 or 2m -- the low frequency and low medium should remain the same (otherwise partial low frequency loading from the console surface is creating all that muddiness)

Experiment with early recommendations and eventually perform A/B testing with 2 pairs of monitors and permutation/swap (one pair on the console, the other pair on stands with adjusted low frequency response).

Experiment, think and ear objectively by yourself ... do not follow*

Cheers -- Laurent

Note: (*) especially magazine illustrations or some studio photos
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Dynaudio BM 6a and BM15a, very surprised only one person mensioned those. They are great and tell you the truth instead of making everything sounds beautiful. The genie are good and super transparent but they really get in your head after a while... where as the BM 6a are non fatiguing speakers, you can mix on them for hours.
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I have Dynaudio BM6a AND PMC AB2S'S... I prefer the PMC's...

I also have a set of Triple P Designs Pyramids for reference's sake.
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Head

[QUOTE=Slogun]Yet another vote for the Klein +Hummel 0300D

I received my pair yesterday and I'm simply amazed of what I've been missing all these years with Mackie HR824 and Genelec 8040/8050's as reference.[QUOTE]
Could you explain why you like the K+H's so much better than the Mackies?
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I like the HR824s

theyre all good...I think it's whatever you learned on. The only reason people like the NS10s is because they learned on them, I would say. Becuase they certainly are not very good speakers.

having said this, i'd much rather have a good room than a good pair of speakers
Old 20th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slogun
Yet another vote for the Klein +Hummel 0300D

I received my pair yesterday and I'm simply amazed of what I've been missing all these years with Mackie HR824 and Genelec 8040/8050's as reference.
Could you explain why you like the K+H's so much better than the Mackies?
It's not really fair to compare K+H with Mackie's and Genelecs, they're almost tripple the price here in Sweden. They're also a three-way system.
You have a very detailed 'resolution' in the K+H. The Mackies and Genies are a bit 'cosmetic' and can't really reaveal what's in the mix for you. You can 'sense' the details, but if you can have a listen to the K+H or ADAM S3A you will notice things in your mix.

Although I can recommend both the Mackies and Genies for their price, they are good monitors I think.
Old 20th June 2006
Here for the gear

I like my Geithain RL-906. Very transparent. To me, they are much better than the Adam P-11 i had before. If you can, check them out. thumbsup
Old 21st June 2006
Lives for gear

P-22As

I've been using these for about 6 months now and find them to be extremely honest. Just take the time to position and eq them in the room so that your ref cds sound good and you should be fine.
Old 23rd June 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh101
I like my Geithain RL-906. Very transparent. To me, they are much better than the Adam P-11 i had before. If you can, check them out. thumbsup
Please give some more details !
I'm fully aware that it's your personal opinion.
It's hard if even really possible to find a place for comparing the Geithain to any other speaker.

Just by chance, did you check any other Geithain speaker as well (e.g. MO-2) ?

Thanks
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Event ASP 8

they're shiney and come with two ports!

Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

I used to be very happy with my Tannoy SRM12b's (LittleReds)...
but then, one day, I got bored and thought "Why not utilize the connectors on the back and run these active?"...
Best thing I ever did! Using a BSS 360, a couple of MC2 amps and a parametric eq
as theres a fair bit of necessary eq-ing going on in the original passive xover ie a shallow but wide notch at 2.5k and the 6db/oct boost from about 5k typical of cd horns.
Wouldn't swap those for anything.The closest thing to removing the control room window I have yet to hear so to speak. A bit big for modern nearfields though...
Old 25th June 2006
Gear Maniac

ADAM S3A.
no doubt, way better than K&H o300 D, which to me, sound way too "genelec-ish"
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

It's like footware....

Did you ever notice that when you have an excellent pair of shoes/sneakers on your feet, you never once think about them (the feet and the shoes) over the coarse of the day...not until you get home and kick them off. The sign of quality footware.

Same thing with the Dynaudio BM5a's.

You'll track & mix all day without ever thinking about an upgrade, crossgrade, etc.

Mackie 824s used to make my feet hurt.

Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fingerz
Did you ever notice that when you have an excellent pair of shoes/sneakers on your feet, you never once think about them (the feet and the shoes) over the coarse of the day...not until you get home and kick them off. The sign of quality footware.

Same thing with the Dynaudio BM5a's.

You'll track & mix all day without ever thinking about an upgrade, crossgrade, etc.

Mackie 824s used to make my feet hurt.

Now try a pair of S3a's .

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 25th June 2006
no ssl yet
Emes mini owl is best "FOR ME"

(I need to buy a flight case for it)
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slogun

It's not really fair to compare K+H with Mackie's and Genelecs ....
I agree with the k&h 3 way you are hearing more of the mix at every volume increment. You are really paying for an exceptionally well designed and matched amplifier. These go for about $5000 here in the US.

I've never had a direct comparison but similar triamped genelecs (1037c - s30) probably perform similar statistically to the o300 K&H.

I think you can make fair comparisons if you choose comparable models.
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

Heard a pair of the ADMS 3a's the other night, thought they were fantastic. I would have to mix on them for a while before I would endorse. ADAM's do seem to be the new trend. I currently mix on Dynaudio BM-15's along with NS-10's and Auratones. I like the way the mixes translate, so no need to change.

www.bluethumbproductions.com
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

We put Barefoot MM27s in our tracking/ mixing room and each of the 8 engineers that have heard them have freaked! They are extremely revieling and translate very well. When we finish a mix and tie- line it into our mastering room it's remarkable how few "issues" we hear.
Old 25th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by danasti
I've never had a direct comparison but similar triamped genelecs (1037c - s30) probably perform similar statistically to the o300 K&H.

I think you can make fair comparisons if you choose comparable models.
That is true I admit but it was stated in a context of the 8040/8050 models, and I'm not sure whether the 1037 would qualify as nearfield. Nevertheless I've only heard the 1037 once and I cannot give a qualified comment to their perfomance.
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

I too found the K&H o300d monitors to sound similar to the Genelec 8000 series, especially in the upper range. The bass end on the o300s is sweet though, it sounds and feels just right. I liked both the 8040a and 8050a the most in the 8000 range.

As for the S3a, its pure class too.
Old 26th June 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydonia72
Please give some more details !
I'm fully aware that it's your personal opinion.
It's hard if even really possible to find a place for comparing the Geithain to any other speaker.

Just by chance, did you check any other Geithain speaker as well (e.g. MO-2) ?

Thanks
I did check the RL 906, the MO-2 and the ADAM S3. My Room is REALLY small and i am sitting quite close to the speakers (ca 1-1,2 meter). This didn´t work that well with the MO-2, the RL906 are perfect for "real" nearfield.

I did like the S3A much better than the P11, more transparent in the Low End, and they also seemed to work well in my nearfield-situation.

So i was thinking between the S3a and the RL906, and finally decided to get the 906 with the Stands to put them on a table.

What really amazes my on the Geithains is the Stereo-Image. I can hear a difference in almost every step of the pan-pot in cubase. The mixes traslate well.

The Low-End ist really surprising. You wouldnt expect this little speakers to produce that much bass. Of course not much below 50 Hz and you can´t go really loud if you have a lot of bass, but it is really good.

Geithain claims that all Speakers of the RL-Series sound the same, so you might get one of the bigger Speakers if you have a bigger room or need more SPL and/or more bass. The bigger Speakers are quite expensive.

So in my PERSONAL OPINION Geithains are an amazing product of german quality engineering, no marketing bull****, not cheap but really worth it.
Old 26th June 2006
Gear Addict

I had Dynaudio M3s and Ns10s. I found that there was something missing that i could flick over to somewhere between the two. So no i have adam s3as in the middle. I like them but find them a bit of a strain to listen to all day. I prefer dynaudio Bm15s but it seemed a bit pointless to have them with the larger dynaudios.
Old 26th June 2006
Any monitor with a crappy power amp in it is a no go for me. Just look at them. How do you expect to fit a great amp into any of them? Simple, by cutting corners.

My other beef: Crossovers! Most are built with crap and a quick call to Michael Percy Audio will fix them up real good with great film caps, wirewound resistors, air foil inductors, etc. I'm always amazed at the prices some of these speakers go for and then you see cookie cutter generic parts used in the crossovers. It's as if they cut the corners where the buyer can't see, the insides.

Removing the wool stuffing in these monitors really helps as well. Install some Deflex panels and the boxy ring of the cabinet goes away as the mids clear up in an amazing way. These stop the mid smear as the mid frequencies bounce off the back of the cabinet to interfere with the woofer excusion in boxes using rock wool, fiberglass or any similar treatment which has no effect below 400 hz.
Don't let the manufacturers sell you short, fix what they missed and you will have real value.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 26th June 2006
Gear Nut

Well, if you can't afford the PMC AML's the TB2SA's are pretty good, next to my Dynaudio BM15a's they are in a different league.
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

Using BM 6A and NS10M w/ a yammy sub

sdf
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

If it has to be nearfields I guess that puts the B&W Nautilus' out of the running since they aren't really nearfields. But I like them a lot- use 802's with a Classé amp.

I feel comfortable mixing with the following:

ATC
PMC
ProAc
NHT
KRK
Westlake

It's all a matter of what you prefer, I think any of those will get you there once you get used to them.

I actually have to go against what people are saying about the Meyer HD-1's. There is a pair in one of the places I work that almost never get turned on any more, at least while I'm working there... I've tried them in a couple different rooms and never got them to work right- and it seems like they have this funny phase correction thingy that drives me batty.

Also not a big fan of Genelec 10xx series, haven't tried any of the others.
Old 6th July 2006
PMC AML1

I finally enjoy mixing.
Old 6th July 2006
Lives for gear

I've been using NS-10's for about 10 years now and although I have tried other speakers, the NS-10's are the ones for me. If you can get a mix to sound good on those then it will sound good on anything.
Old 6th July 2006
Lives for gear

Something good and something crappy.

I use auratones and ASP8s at home.

I use NS10s and whatever fancy pants monitors they have when I'm out on the town.

Get something you like the sound of. If you get monitors that are to bright for your taste, everything will end up sounding dull if you mix so that things sound good to YOU.
Old 7th July 2006
Gear Addict

I use Dynaudio BM6A too. Just to add to the "mentioning" of these.

Haven't compared to anything, but the Yorkvilles I had before. I don't care either, because the BM6A's just sound fine and detailed and cause no fatigue, and I don't consider getting anything else, except perhaps the Dynaudio sub. Still, there is a lot of other gear I would buy before that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search