The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BEST Near Field Monitors SURVEY Studio Monitors
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

1031 and ns 10
If these are good enought for andy wallace they should be good enought for you and me
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

The first man in paradise

Another vote for Adam. P11-A (cheaper and better mids than 22,33, but less sub- bass frequencies). Get a Sub (you can add later) ()maybe Sub 12 by Adam) and be fine. The highs are not harsh, like on many other things i worked on. At the end of the day your ears will be fine. Stereo imaging, depth and frequency response are absolutely amazing on the P11as. Another fact is, that i´ve less problems with different sounding mixes on differnt speakers (like at my home, the car, gettoblaster, etc.) while mixing through the p11as. No, I´m not wemployeed at ADAM :-)
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Head

YAMAHA NS10 plus GENELEC 1031. Always the best
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Meyer HD 1's

Rob G..
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Anyone who knows anything about audio will tell you there is no such thing as "the best" of anything - I honestly can't see the point of asking what "the best" is, not least in the total absence of any sort of frame of reference.

"Best of" threads/polls are fundamentally flawed and of little practical value for three reasons:

1) Little account is made of price-point or category (Is a Rolls Royce 'The Best' car? - obviously not if you plan to drive off-road)
2) Results are largely invalid unless all voters state clearly that they have tested all the options (preferrably under the same conditions)
3) If it's a poll, the listed choices are never exhaustive

Sometimes folks post 'Shoot-out' results of Gear A vs Gear B and these have some value if you take the view that some data is more useful than no data. But it's important to take these tests for what they are which is one person's test under their conditions and on their material - to start extrapolating global results and making conclusions about "The Best" (whatever that is) is, in my opinion, an exercise in futility. YMMV.

IMHO you'd get a lot further if you asked what monitors people would recommend you put on a demo shortlist, based on information you supply about your budget, your studio size, your other studio gear (ie do you already have a decent amp, so active or passive?), your intended application (mastering, mixing, A/V etc), type of music etc etc
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I honestly can't see the point of these exercises myself, I mean, what useable information do folks actually get out of this?
Beats me heh . I vote ATC SCM10's. Got a pair second hand. 12 years old. Knackered cabinets. Built like bricks. Great company. Never heard a better nearfield. In love with them. Sound MUCH bigger than their size suggests. Dependable mix transportation to other systems. Natural and smooth sound. Incredible, Incredible, Incredible! But they are supremely insensitive and require some serious juice. Would love to afford ATCs own integrated amp but havn't found a knackered 12 year old version yet
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

NHTPro M20's w/ B-20 Modular stereo sub kit and Adam S3A's are what I use. I'm diggin life.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Translation is less about the speaker and more about the confidence and skills of the guy mixing it.

Find a speaker that you feel comfortable with and work on building up the confidence and skills.
Very true.

And the best way to build confidence is to buy monitors in your price-range, that 'you feel comfortable with', and use them for a long time.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Nut

If you win the fight in the NS10's mids you made it. and they are a must have to look pro at least. put a pair on your momma's cupboard - et voila: a studio.
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
B+W 802s
small?nearfield
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann
...will tell you there is no such thing as "the best" of anything...
A Stradivari?, but of course you won't drive her off-road.

Have a look at the best monitors in this Galaxy:
http://www.strauss-elektroakustik.co...y/fs_sony.html

> Mastering Studios 1-12
> Authoring Studios 1-4

Or here bottom right: "More then just a studio"
http://www.resolutionmag.com/pdfs/FA...SONYTO%7E1.PDF

Also available as Nearfield model. But as James said "Little account is made of price-point or category".

Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

I have the Tannoy Ellipse 8 idp 5.1 rig and after listening to quite a few things I am really happy with my choice. Mixing is so pleasurable now..

Rob
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Nut

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned the Dynaudio BM5A's or the BM6A's?

These are very easy to mix on and mixes translate beautifully from room to room and playback system to playback system on these monitors.

Really surprised they have not gotten the nod yet?
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear
NS-10s and ADAM S2A's working great here..... But until I did proper acoustic tratment to my mixing space nothing worked...

-Lee
Old 7th June 2006
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Dynaudio BM5A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershal Pearlma
I'm shocked that no one has mentioned the Dynaudio BM5A's or the BM6A's?

These are very easy to mix on and mixes translate beautifully from room to room and playback system to playback system on these monitors.

Really surprised they have not gotten the nod yet?
BM5A's...there..I said it
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G
Meyer HD 1's

Rob G..
I second the HD-1s. I wish they were studio standard and not Genelec.

B&W 801, i guess you would call them mid fields, are common in classical recording.

Classical and jazz guys like Pro-ac too.

The lowest common denominator is NS-10. Everyone's got them in the pro studio universe. They're not much fun to listen to music on, but your mixes will work everywhere.
Old 7th June 2006
I have six sets of monitors all by different manufacturers

The most brutaly honest not in the least bit euphonic. Are Tannoy SRM 12X.
If your mix even sounds half reasonable on them it will sound fantastic on anything else. I only play the other ones to the customers.
I have an old pair of BBC transmission line Monitors with KEF Racetrack Bass
and the old Rogers B110 T27 combo of drivers + a celestion pepper pot super tweeter. I think they are very acurate and they sound good too. I stack a pair of
Klipsch Heratic 11 on the top. Thats just to diswade me from too much at 2k If i sit down I hear one thing if I stand up I hear another. OK! I am very old, I am not going to admit to the BIG JBL's and Altecs with all the ATC soft dome mid blokes about.
I love ATC too. NS 10s are like just too much fatigue to work with. I have a pair of NS10M's never listen to them. They are too bright and don't go low enough to hear bass properly. Its like trying to mix on Control 5's without the sub.
Regards.•:*¨¨*:•. ¸¸.•´¯`•.Mark Fairfax-Harwood, Engineer Springvale Studios
PS You just have to know your monitors. Whatever they are.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Genelec 1032A

greg

Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmec
OK! I am very old, I am not going to admit to the BIG JBL's and Altecs with all the ATC soft dome mid blokes about.
I love ATC too.

this made me laff. Thanks.

I like my ATC-20's So far they've been the easiest to work with.

I find that I still like to hear stuff thru my Tannoy System 600's once in a while.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Klein and Hummel o300d's or Adam Audio S3a's
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G
Meyer HD 1's

Rob G..
I agree HD-1 are trusty

OR SLS S1065
those things are a joke deadly acurate
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloClematide
I'm pretty much with this statement.
However, it is very relaxing working with the best monitoring available right from the beginning. The mixes we made decades ago with monitoring who weren't that great
name a few, so we made VERY good equipment decades ago TAB telefunken API NEVE but the monitors weren't? that does not compute , eveything that is build today regarding to solid state outboard has been done before, maybe different production methods and materials have been found but decades ago they had GREAT monitors.

Quote:
the music done was fine. But it is a additional, and unnecessary stress to work with speakers who are imperfect, this in a age where a new generation of engineers make monitors with nearly perfect reproduction
and also not affordable , all other that is i wouldn't call near perfect at all

Quote:
I don't think that all this brands available in music stores today are that good. To my ear, i.e. Westlake monitors are pretty good, and i could work with them every day. I personally work with CMS monitoring.
agree totally, but what catagory of price are we talking about my friend,
owned a pair of HR1 westlakes and must say VERY impressive, even with 48db filters

my vote goes to tannoy SRM10B btw, you don;t get tired working with them and they tell u EXACTLY what is going on ,what u mix on them u hear back on every other ****ty speaker, ballance, collour , chractaristics the whole works you will recognise all of it, can;t say that for dynaudio or all other related brands with same materials , but maybe you are looking for something a tad smaller
Old 7th June 2006
Here for the gear

PMC AML1. Small enough but no excuses for bass, tonal balance or dynamics. All analog too with built in Bryston amps and crossover.
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Addict

I agree about the PMC AML1's, amazing but twice the price of my trusty BM6A's.

Whatever happened to all the Westlake owners?... I dont remember the number
had dual 6"or 8" woofers..? but loved the pair I used back in the early 90's....
Maybe the powered monitor market did them in...hardly ever people talk about them.
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Addict

The Westlake's are great, i think they are the best available non-boutique brands i heard...

Here a secret website: heh
http://www.asc-studio-acoustics.com/westviking.htm

Old 8th June 2006
Yet another vote for the Klein +Hummel 0300D

I received my pair yesterday and I'm simply amazed of what I've been missing all these years with Mackie HR824 and Genelec 8040/8050's as reference.

Having said that I still suffer from a bad cold and I haven't set up and 'tuned' my speakers properly yet. Still they sound that good to me
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Haven't yet heard near fields that I'd take seriously.
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier
Haven't yet heard near fields that I'd take seriously.
WOW!!! An engineer with ears and not suffering from any placebo !!!

Old 8th June 2006
Gear Maniac

BM6a is my go to... I get very good translations and the sound soooooooo much better then NS10's. Also no fatigue after long listening...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search