The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Vocal Reverb? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Best Vocal Reverb?

What would you guys concider a great vocal reverb for around £1200 ($2200) , hardware or plugin?

Thanks in advance

Steve
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Lex 300
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey
Lex 300
I 2nd that.
For more comfort - 300 LARC.
Nothing around 2-2,5 k sounds as lovely as vintage Lex, although some recommend older machines that are great, too.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn
What would you guys concider a great vocal reverb for around £1200 ($2200) , hardware or plugin?

Thanks in advance

Steve
Lex 300 for sure.
If you can find another grand get a 224.

JR
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quantec Yardstick

Old 13th May 2006
Vocal reverb for $2200-=used Princeton Digital 2016 + UAD plate reverb or Altiverb + a cool outboard delay.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Nut

Among software reverbs, UAD's plate is one of the best. My 1st choice for vocals.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Vocal reverb for $2200-=used Princeton Digital 2016 + UAD plate reverb or Altiverb + a cool outboard delay.
Thrill, do you know if the UAD cards play well with HD systems in an expansion chassis (version 7.0)?
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn

If you are going the plug-in route... i would get teh Oxford Reverb and TL Space... check em out
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Plug in wise....I am digging the new Revolver plug from MCDSP
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Altiverb 5!!!!
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

A reverb that sounds good to me on vocals is the Klark-Teknik DN 780.
Old 15th May 2006
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
A reverb that sounds good to me on vocals is the Klark-Teknik DN 780.
Not to mention the "Alive" setting for snares...

Do you know anyone that doesn't want their's anymore? hmm? please???

As far as a vocal verb goes, why don't you try finding an EMT plate? Nothing touches it in my opinion. A PCM 60 gets close, and it's kinda cool... but an EMT 140 plate IS the best. It's real reverb.
Old 15th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
but an EMT 140 plate IS the best. It's real reverb.

A plate is real reverb?
Old 15th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_hti
Thrill, do you know if the UAD cards play well with HD systems in an expansion chassis (version 7.0)?

Doug i have no idea.

I am still using PTHD 6.2.3.
Old 15th May 2006
Deleted User
Quote:
A plate is real reverb?
Well, in the sense that it's not a digital mockup of a room or a hall.

It isn't the same as putting up a pair of mics and micing a room, though. You caught me there... But I consider it a 'real' reverb. Same as a real spring reverb.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

If you have a PC and a VST host, download SIR (freeware convolution reverb) and checkout the impulses at www.noisevault.com Reaper is a freeware VST Host DAW if you need one.

As convolution reverb goes, SIR is as good as any. Extra fidelity isn't necessarily a good thing for reverb, so it's not worth splitting hairs.

The cool thing about convolution is that it lets you hear a taste of high end reverbs, so you can virtually try before you buy. The difference isn't huge, useable even. You can prove this to yourself by comparing the impulses of some of the freeware or demo plugins. There is a small difference in sound quality, but not that most people could hear.

On the basis of this, I bought a Kurzweil Rumour, because from the KSP8 impulses, I could tell that this reverb held it's own amongs the more expensive Lexicons and TC etc. On this basis, I could tell that I don't really like the basic flavour of some of the more expensive reverbs, like the Quantec for example.

The Rumour is a simple 2 channel version of the KSP8, but the algorithmns are exactly same. I understand the D/A isn't quite the same (still very, very good) - and not actually an issue if I use s/pdif i/o anyway.

I definately noticed that the real Rumour is better than the KSP8 impulses. I didn't realise how badly truncated they were for a start. But I found I could tweak the presets and make them better to my taste.
Old 15th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
Well, in the sense that it's not a digital mockup of a room or a hall.

It isn't the same as putting up a pair of mics and micing a room, though. You caught me there... But I consider it a 'real' reverb. Same as a real spring reverb.

Just busting chops bro.heh

I do agree with you though on the plate.

The only issue will be what pre delay to use with it.
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The only issue will be what pre delay to use with it.
I've heard this before, but I don't quite get it.

How much difference can the particular pre-delay make? And also, why even use a dedicated box as a pre-delay? If you time-shifted the reverb return in your DAW (those of us that use one heh), wouldn't that have the same effect?
Old 15th May 2006
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by murp
I've heard this before, but I don't quite get it.

How much difference can the particular pre-delay make? And also, why even use a dedicated box as a pre-delay? If you time-shifted the reverb return in your DAW (those of us that use one heh), wouldn't that have the same effect?
Usually, if you're using an EMT, you're using a console. Otherwise, sure, shift it around in the box.

I'm still looking for a KT-780, if anyone is throwing one away...
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Cheers guys, all useful info!

What I concider my "best" reverb at the momment is my TC Powercore VSS3. The drum rooms and drum plates etc are superb. Have any of you compared it with the likes of the Lex's you're recommending? This thing is meant to be a direct port from the system 6000!

Steve
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by murp
How much difference can the particular pre-delay make?

a lot. try to remember that, in the case of a pre-delay, everything is going thru it 100%, so it becomes 100% the sound you're sending to the verb. in the case of plugs, this is a non-issue. but a lex42, e.g., has a significant footprint that limits the dynamics, bandlimits the freqs, and adds grain to the whole affair. sending that to the plate is very different than sending the original signal.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger
There is a small difference in sound quality, but not that most people could hear.
i think the difference between hard & soft 'verbs are not so much of sound quality, but how they sit in the mix.

soft 'verbs get lost very quickly, most of the time take up too much space and mud up mix. esp when it comes to vox 'verbs.

just another man's opinion.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

How about convert a room into a live chamber.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

soft 'verbs get lost very quickly... that's making a huge assumption about the hundreds of reverb plugins available - most of which I guess you haven't tried.

Most digital reverb is pure dsp. (I say 'most', because some hardware digital reverbs have an essential analog component). Plugin architecture and CPU is often superior to the desirable old digital hardware from the '80's. There is absolutely no reason why a particular reverb algorithmn can't be hosted as equally well in a PC native environment as in a hardware chip.

I agree that generally, plugin reverbs suck. This is because they are often created by young coders, often using borrowed code, and the research and development just isn't there. The established hardware companies don't want to release their trade secrets into the cracker community, so they are still keeping their family jewels locked up.

I've spent an excessively obsessive amount of time listening to reverbs lately, because most of the time I hate what i'm hearing. I can't afford a 480L, and to honest I don't particularly like the impulses of the 480L that I have available. Which is why I bought the Rumour, knowing the sound is identical to the KSP8 which so many respected engineers rave about.

I have to say that the Rumor is better than 99% of plugin reverbs that I have, and better than convolution impulses of the KSP8. (I can A/B the exact same presets, and the difference is small but noticeable).

But I would also say that buying the Rumor has also made it very clear to me that at least some plugin reverbs are equal or better than the KSP8, and very likely most TC and Lexicon. Realising this, I immediately purchased the registration to unlock a particular reverb plugin that I find superior. The Rumor will probably only serve as a tracking aid now.

Individual taste varies of course, and I may even find I need the slightly harsher, brighter metallic taste of the Rumor for something.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
As convolution reverb goes.............. Extra fidelity isn't necessarily a good thing for reverb, so it's not worth splitting hairs........
huh?

i disagree
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
[i] most of which I guess you haven't tried.
that's a huge assumption you're making.

i can't say i tried all "hundreds" of them, but a good amount to suggest the general result.

the difference lies in not the coding but the A/D/A converter of the reverbs. that's why i never use digital I/O when it comes to hardware units. it wouldn't surprise me that this is the reason why you like your Rumour a bit better than plugs initially. but plugs are also easier and more accessible, so i don't blame you for liking them either.

that said, i do use Space Designer in Logic very often, esp w/ impulses from noisevault and echochamber. no beef, just sayin'.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

The best vocal reverb is no reverb at all
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Eventide

I've been VERY happy with a few Eventide Orville verbs. VERY LUSH. I.T.B. i dig on eventide's reverb plug... Geez... i guess I am an eventide fan. I sold my pcm80's and 91's to get the orville, eclipse and a 3000d/sx. VERY happy.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
...I immediately purchased the registration to unlock a particular reverb plugin that I find superior.

i'd love to know what caught your fancy, as i gave up on demo'ing software verbs quite some time ago.

the only plugverb that 'sits' for me is the tc classicverb. things like the uad plate sound promising on their own, only to disappear into the ethers when other tracks enter the picture. i welcome something dense but malleable.

it doesn't help that the room where i track drums has a plate that was custom built by geoff daking .

gregoire
del ubik

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search