The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
9098 console mic preamps
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hi
In the wacky world we live in now it is probably the CIB that is cheaper to make than the 9098. The 9098 range were designed first and certainly the rackmount items were not surface mount. I have not looked inside a CIB but I am not even sure if it was actually made by AMEK personnel. Maybe the first years production was.
Matt S
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson
Hi
In the wacky world we live in now it is probably the CIB that is cheaper to make than the 9098. The 9098 range were designed first and certainly the rackmount items were not surface mount. I have not looked inside a CIB but I am not even sure if it was actually made by AMEK personnel. Maybe the first years production was.
Matt S
We have both units and our 9098 dual micpre and pre/eq are all surface mount. The front panel is cheap fibreglass, and the overall feel of the unit is definitely not "high-end". The CIB is a much better presented and better put together peace of gear. Just ask any tech who opened them up. Also the quality of components in the 9098 leaves a bit to be desired unlike CIB which has a much better (and more expencive) componentry inside.
I do not know whether CIB was put together by Amek personnel, but it is certainly a much "classier" unit

Yuri
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hi
The earlier units I was refering to had metal sub panels with a polycarbonate 'faceplate' the same as the RCMA. This construction was used for most of the equipment at the time. Slenderchap could confirm the situation as he was 'last man in' of the AMEK crew.
Matt S
Old 19th May 2006
Those were the one's I've seen as well. If they've gone surface mount, that's a disappointment. Seems like they went Focusrite on us. Nothing wrong with the surface mount semi's, but the mono ceramic caps for EQ would be a downsizing.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

If anyone is interested, I have a 291 page (and 7+ Meg) PDF of the 9098i desk's schematics posted here:

http://brianroth.com/library/9098i.pdf

The mic preamp begins on page 137, and the EQ on page 130. Note..the EQ schematics end up on multiple pages due to it being spread across multiple circuit boards.

Bri

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search