The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Crane Song Avocet Ergonomics?
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Crane Song Avocet Ergonomics?

Hey all... thinking about the Avocet, possibly. Everything looks great as far as sonics and features go .. but judging from the one promo shot I've seen of it, it's hard to tell exactly what the shape/form/material of the remote is. How is it for ergonomics and feel? I'm not really one for having the thing on my lap -- I'd rather find a permanent spot for it.. but it seems that you'd want it upright.

Are there racks/shelves/mounts that would suit this thing? Would love some more photos at different angles too if anyone has them. Thanks all.
Old 13th May 2006
Belive it or not, I have mine sitting on a rubber doorstop.

Not that I'd ever use it for a doorstop... But it puts it at a nice angle. I've thought of using Velcro, but I *do* occasionally "lap" it.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

A doorstop, hey? That's interesting. Would be interested to try something like that... so it's got to lean up against something, with a doorstop infront of it?

As far as dimensions go, is it fairly thin? I've always thought it was a strange looking remote ... just sort of looks like it would get in the way.

If anyone's got photos of it in place at their mix desks, i'd love to take a look at your strategies!!
Old 13th May 2006
member no 666

Mine generally sits on the eq section of my desk... though sometimes it's the fader packs. When I'm sitting back and listening hard to stuff then it's usually on my lap... or it's on the table to the left of the desk with computer monitor for the RADAR.

While I'm sure I wouldn't mind having it in a fixed position off to my right somewhere... I don't have any space for it over there so it's mobil and floating.
Old 13th May 2006
Here's a shot (my old room) that shows it pretty clearly...

It's about 1.25" thick... I think an angled box would've been wonderful, but the doorstop works well also...

Hell, having it flat worked fine - I just prefer to *see* the level indicator lights over the knob.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks John and Fletcher. Yeah, it is a little weird that it's not an angled piece... not seeing the meters easily would likely drive me bonkers... so I'm probably going to have to rig up something homemade....
Old 13th May 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray
Hey all... thinking about the Avocet, possibly. Everything looks great as far as sonics and features go .. but judging from the one promo shot I've seen of it, it's hard to tell exactly what the shape/form/material of the remote is. How is it for ergonomics and feel? I'm not really one for having the thing on my lap -- I'd rather find a permanent spot for it.. but it seems that you'd want it upright.

Are there racks/shelves/mounts that would suit this thing? Would love some more photos at different angles too if anyone has them. Thanks all.

I keep mine on my lap occasionally, or on the arm of the couch I'm sitting on. I imagine a good metal worker could mount it in a rack or whatever, but you definitely want it flat or no more than a 45 degree angle for the feel and to avoid carpal tunnel.

As for the feel of the buttons, my Logitech Harmony TV remote control can be operated in the dark cause all the buttons are custom and have a great feel. That is not the case with the Avocet, nor with so many of the more economically-produced controls in our industry. You can't afford custom plastics or machining in a low-volume industry. To make up for that, the buttons on the Avocet are nearly flush with the panel, and it feels nice to roll your fingers over them as you approach the one you want to press.

My only complaint with the Avocet is it is easy to accidentily change the gain offset, and Dave Hill has already conquered that issue (at my suggestion) in the surround model, and he's slowly "getting around tuit" for the stereo model.

Sonically, it's a winner. The new DAC is one of the best DACs there is, and as a monitor controller with solid, robust (transparent) sound it rocks! Plus he implemented my K-System 1 dB step approach with a 0 dB reference point and I can't argue with that!

BK

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search