The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
LAVRY 4496 DA...
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

LAVRY 4496 DA...

Slutz, I'm in the middle of nowhere concerning buying a platform... sorry, DA converters. I need DAs for mixing. I had MOTU HD192s, but sold them... now it's time to buy a new toy! What do you think of LAVRY 4496, connected to Lynx AES??? I would buy 3 units of 8 chanels... for example! Anyone have some experiences??? Compare it to MOTU (as low budget option) or PT HD96/192... Am I on the wrong way??? Would RADAR Nquist be a better solution for mixing... AURORA or MADI, maybe??? Yes, the studio is totally highendish in outboard, we have an SSL console... 2" STUDER coming our way, blah, blah... Everything rocks, but I've lost my mind and don't know what to buy!!! At this moment I can not afford PT. Use it for comparasion... with LAVRY. It's really serious candidate...

Thanks, Slutz... Regards.
Old 12th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by perun
What do you think of LAVRY 4496, connected to Lynx AES???

It's plug in and play with the Lynx AES, as easy as screwing in a lightbulb (actually a little easier if you already have the Lynx installed).

Quote:
Compare it to MOTU (as low budget option) or PT HD96/192... Am I on the wrong way???

No comparison, Lavry is far better than either of those.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

Thanks... I've mentioned some very expensive items overthere... NQUIST, PT HD192... MADI???

Are you sure?

Anyone else here with LAVRY 4496 experience?
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

i've compared the Lavry Blues to:

Madi
Motu
PT HD 96/192

there was blood in the streets. Lavry all the way.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

I've found some critics where Universal Audio 2192 (first time I heard of it, relly) barried the LAVRY Blues ... I don't know, everything is pretty subjective... you know. If I could try one out... I would make a decision... Welll, that's why I'm asking about it...thumbsup

Slutz... More experiences???
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui_City
i've compared the Lavry Blues to:

Madi
Motu
PT HD 96/192

how can you compare it to MADI? MADI is just a format
Old 13th May 2006
I guess you mean RME ADI-8 ?? I use RME for mixing, with satisfying results, but will go to Lavry for the masterbus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui_City
LOL carnage! I'm waiting for the AD black!
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie
how can you compare it to MADI? MADI is just a format

OK, sorry, it was really ****ty said over there! But Michael Wagener once understood when I used MADI word for Euphonix converters pluged into RME card... Well, is it clear now? I was talking about that system... Thanks, anyway!
Old 13th May 2006
I had the 2192 up against the Lavry here when I was deciding on a "cornerstone" set. It was the "final round" in the "quest for the best." The 2192 sounded great, but the Lavry tipped it over the edge.

Although I'm still set on getting a HEDD unit in here soon... heh
Old 13th May 2006
They are a great value and the top of their class. Without springing for something like the golds, the modular blue series is the way to go. The DA is even better than the AD.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by perun
I've found some critics where Universal Audio 2192 (first time I heard of it, relly) barried the LAVRY Blues ... I don't know, everything is pretty subjective... you know. If I could try one out... I would make a decision... Welll, that's why I'm asking about it...thumbsup

Slutz... More experiences???
I ran the 2192 against the Lavry blue, both AD and DA. UA is nice, no doubt. It had a "polished" sound, things came out sounding like they were ready to print. A little softer on the top, a little fuller in the mids and lows. Often a pleasing tone. And it brought that similar tone to everything that went through it.

When I A/B'd to the Lavry, it brought the realism back. All the texture and emotion, very intimate. That was what I preferred for my music, so I bought the Blue.

Steve
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

My experience is based on Lynx AES, Apogee and Lavry and I can say that there is not an Apogee left anywhere in sight.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Addict

Thank you all very much, Slutz... Well, I'll do my best to take LAVRYs... They were on top of my "options" list... I'm sure I won't regret!

Regards!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search