The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mogami or Sommer snake cables? Mixers (Analog)
Old 8th December 2012
Gear Addict

i do lots of wiring and studio installations and as much as i like mogami for example it is just too expensive & their distribution sucks.
i have bought thousands worth of Sommer cables this year and couldnt be happier.easy to strip, easy to solder and technically just as "good" as mogami.
sounds good too!
Old 8th December 2012
Gear Nut

I went from digi and hosa cables to MOGAMI and I sure can hear a difference well worth the money . Ill never buy cheap cables again.
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

I have used hundreds of meters of Sommer Mistral and I would use hundreds more anytime.
Old 10th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLZapped View Post
Silver Oxide is conductive. Not a problem.
+1
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone know where you can get sommer speaker cable in USA? Specifically in Los Angeles? A friend of mine has some and i thought it sounded pretty good but he cant remember where he got them. My whole studio is wired with mogami except my speaker cable which is marshall soundrunner. I find that that 14 gauge soundrunner sounds different than the 10 gauge. It is not abd cable...actually better than most i've tried but would love to try some sommer stuff if the price is right.

Seems like Sommer is a european thang...

ej
Old 10th December 2012
Gear Addict

GP2 Inc. BL99 4 Channel Mic Preamp

AND

Lava Cable - Let Your Signal Flow

are listed as sommer distributors in the US.

good luck!
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
Anyone know where you can get sommer speaker cable in USA? Specifically in Los Angeles? A friend of mine has some and i thought it sounded pretty good but he cant remember where he got them. My whole studio is wired with mogami except my speaker cable which is marshall soundrunner. I find that that 14 gauge soundrunner sounds different than the 10 gauge. It is not abd cable...actually better than most i've tried but would love to try some sommer stuff if the price is right.

Seems like Sommer is a european thang...

ej
Plus24/AID in Hollywood carries Sommer. Some may be a special order, but they can get just about anything.

323-845-1155

--Ben
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Everything we have is wired with Mogami or Canare—more of the former, some of the latter. Neither has ever let me down. Nothing in the installs or patchbays; not one mic cable failing in over seven years.

Most importantly, I got everything from Redco. Top-notch service for whatever your need. Great guys.
Old 16th January 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Audio-LA View Post
In fact, here is Mogami's philosophy as espoused on their website:

Mogami has a clear-cut philosophy. Design cables that offer the most accurate signal transfer possible. This may seem like a logical goal, but in fact many cable companies alter the signal for what they perceive to be the "best sound." The problem with creating this unnatural distortion is that it permanently alters the signal flowing through the cable. The distortion may make a particular piece of equipment sound better at one frequency but worse at another. The essence of the original signal is lost forever.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost every professional facility I've ever been in is wired with Mogami (and I've been in lots) from top to bottom. I'm sure there's a reason for that ;-) Go with Mogami, forget the boutique brands and the consumer-focused, hyped stuff like Monster. You won't regret it!
Nothing more to say!
Old 16th January 2013
Gear Addict

How does Switchcraft compare to the other brands mentioned on this thread?
Old 12th December 2018
Gear Maniac

I have mogami 75o & 110o and sommer AES 110o and about to buy some belden 110o
Don't know would there be any differences though....
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear
Mogami is common for two reasons: Sound good and the outside of the cable is small vs most with the same quality of shielding. Easier to fit tons of cables inside a rack. The only downside is they are not tough. Meant for an install, not road use. If the cables are going to take any abuse, I would go canare.

Even at home. I use Mogami for the fixed stuff, and Canare for the mic cables that get walked on.
Old 14th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Mogami is common for two reasons: Sound good and the outside of the cable is small vs most with the same quality of shielding. Easier to fit tons of cables inside a rack. The only downside is they are not tough. Meant for an install, not road use. If the cables are going to take any abuse, I would go canare.

Even at home. I use Mogami for the fixed stuff, and Canare for the mic cables that get walked on.
Are you using Mogami Studio cables or Mogami Stage cables? Mogami Stage cables can take a pretty solid beating. Mogami Studio cables are definitely meant to be handled more delicately.
Old 14th December 2018
The Mogami AES snakes do have a better top end over distance. Less capacitance.
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Audio-LA View Post
[. . .] Mogami has a clear-cut philosophy. Design cables that offer the most accurate signal transfer possible. [. . .]

Almost every professional facility I've ever been in is wired with Mogami (and I've been in lots) from top to bottom. I'm sure there's a reason for that ;-) Go with Mogami, forget the boutique brands and the consumer-focused, hyped stuff like Monster. You won't regret it!
Several years back I switched to Mogami [almost exclusively] - very happy with the results. I'm currently using their Gold DB25XFxx snakes for line/mic inputs to my MTRX AD converters. I'm also using their mic and instrument cables. The exceptions are that I use the Schoeps cables for Schoeps mics, and an off-brand here or there on location video shoots.

Also, there was [for me] a rather drastic adjustment to make in adopting their guitar cables, as my Marshall head wasn't perhaps designed for such strong and balanced input - perhaps this would also be the case with other musical instrument amps. In any case, it took some time to explore, settle on, and learn updated settings on the amp and guitar. But in the end, I had no regrets for making the change.

For some of this, I will ultimately switch to high-end wireless next year - but only where cables really get in my way. . .as the cost of high-end wireless is still pretty stiff. In some reasonable number of years, wireless is [I think] likely where most everything will be.

Keep in mind that I am much more of a musician than engineer. But Pro-Audio-LA's advice: 'Go with Mogami' sounds right enough to me. I didn't get burned.

[Edit] A bit of a tangential thought is that Dante will bite into the snake market - it already has for me. [/Edit]

Best,

Ray H.

Last edited by RayHeath; 15th December 2018 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Dante

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search