The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EMI Mixer = TG??
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Nut

EMI Mixer = TG??

Hello,
Yes, strange subject title huh? Here's the story;

I have purchased an interesting box through ebay. It is made by EMI and it contains 4 mic pre's but only has one master output - so in essence it is a mixer of sorts. At this stage I just use it as a single channel pre by choosing one of the pre's and setting the level between it and the large output dial.

It is called an OBA 1. There is no information on them anywhere - except for Mick at Mixmasters here in Australia. He is the vintage guru and he said that he doesn't know too much other than they date around late 60's / early 70's. It looks amazing - the dials look like an old EMI console and it has a HUGE VU meter.

On opening it up - it displayed some beautiful hand wired action - all discrete. Solid state. Transformers - a HUGE hand wound tranformer for the output.

How does it sound? I ADORE THE SOUND OF THIS THING! It has a natural sparkling presence that is just divine on vocals and acoustic guitar, but it has an incredible richness that is far more impressive than any other pre I have owned or used. I mean silky and lush and not really aggressive (obviously more aggressive pres are equally as useful in many applications). Electric guitars sound awesome too - very chimey and 3D.

My question - does anybody know anything about EMI's history and whether this would be a TG designed mixer? It certainly looks like it is - even the color matches! I cannot however find TG printed anywhere externally or internally.

Anyone who can shed some light on this monster would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading.
Old 12th May 2006
I would think it was designed for outside broadcast (as in OBA1).
Perhaps for film, radio or television.
Old 13th May 2006
I'd email Chandler. They've got access to a lot of the old EMI documentation.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Nut

I saw some external and internal images of one of these once, they were built (I think) specifically for the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corp), by EMI or under EMI license I think, in New South Wales Australia. I believe they were designed for outside broadcast work allowing for (4) multipule mics into 1, for film / news gathering work, they were a portable unit and I think that they had a strap for "over the shoulder" use, I don't know if they were based on the TG series specs, given that they are for OB work possibly not, however I may be completely wrong. The main thing is that you are happy with the sound they give, so you have a nice little gem there. I saw one of these on Ebay not that long ago from a seller in the US using the TG hype on them (????), if they are TG design based then they would be carry a reasonable value to a collector.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Nut

Yeah Sound Delux - I think you're spot on. Your description matches.
Like you say - if it sounds awesome, it doesn't really matter who designed it.
I picked mine up for $250 AUD with power supply. Interestingly, Mixmasters in Adelaide have one which has been modded so there is an output transformer for each pre - (neve cards). It is going for $2400 AUD without power supply.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey, we wanna see pictures!!
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, I almost bought one of these a while back on ebay from Australia. If you google it you can find some sites that describe them as mobile broadcast mixers. I don't believe they were made in the UK, but I could be wrong...
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Nut

To see a picture of mine, go to this link. Hopefully it works;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....B:EOIBSA:AU:11

If it doesn't work, let me know and I will find another way.

Enjoy.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Nut

Bump n' Jive

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search