The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RADAR to JCF Audio Interfaces
Old 4th April 2012
Here are the delay figures of the AD8 in PEP mode for anyone who needs them;

44100/48000:

4095 samples
which is
92.87 ms at 44100
85.33 ms at 48000

88200/96000:

6143 samples
which is
69.64 ms at 88.2k
63.98 ms 96k
Old 4th April 2012
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Here are the delay figures of the AD8 in PEP mode for anyone who needs them;

44100/48000:

4095 samples
which is
92.87 ms at 44100
85.33 ms at 48000

88200/96000:

6143 samples
which is
69.64 ms at 88.2k
63.98 ms 96k

and for those of use who need these:

x4 figures

7170 samples
which is
40.64ms at 176400
37.34ms at 192000
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Splitting your preamps and doing two separate mixes for a tracking session is a huge pain in the butt. I've done it on occasion with my JH-24, bouncing to PT off the repro head while recording, but for me it's just the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as trying to wrap my head and methodology around what should be an effortless and creative process. Much easier to just take a few minutes to bounce to tape later (and yes, that sounds just as good IMO).

Josh promises that a manual is forthcoming. Meanwhile, I don't see any reference at all to this latency on anybody's site or product literature, which would seem to be omitting perhaps the most significant detail of all. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Ultimately, if you want to hang on to MY BITS for an extra 98 milliseconds, or whatever, then I want to have a pretty good idea of what you're doing with them to justify this. (this all might have something to do with being the father of teenagers).

-R
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Think you can explain the AD8 any better, Norbert?
Should be possible, because you haven't explained it either.

-R
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

"PEP" can happen digitally, after the fact. Inputs 5-8 on the AD8 are switchable between analog and AES. Digital in, digital out in banks of 8 channels.

Alternatively you can have an ADAT board installed to do it without swapping cables or building a switcher.
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Very cool.

-R
Old 6th April 2012
Gear Head

The JCF AD8 sounds awesome! Big, rich and 3D. I've been using 16 channels of AD8 for about a year now and LOVE the way they sound. I put them up against the Burls, the AVID and the UA 2192. All of these sound very nice with slight differences in color. I chose the JCF's for their size and richness.

The PEP process is very interesting. I don't use it while tracking a band because of the latency but I do use it often for printing back a mix where latency doesn't matter. I would describe it as a time alignment process. It changes the feel and 3D sense. Highs seem a little softer, bass a little more pronounced. I usually just audition both normal and PEP chains at print time and choose one or the other. I'd say it's about 50/50. Both sound great but different.

One slight drawback is lack of metering but it's only when trouble shooting that I wish something was there for me to know it's seeing an input.

All in all, one of my fave purchases recently. And Josh is a super guy. Knows his stuff and comes at it from a musical angle.
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
Splitting your preamps and doing two separate mixes for a tracking session is a huge pain
Check this out...

Patchbay Top Row: Pre Out 1-16
Patchbay Bottom Row: DSUB Splitter IN 1-16

1x3 DSUB Splitter OUTS
1) JCF AD8 1-16
2) Folcrom Summing Mixer
3) Monitor Mixer

I honestly don't really even use PEP because AD8 normal sounds so good to begin with... but... having this split system allows me to see how it sounds/feels and go back to normal if I think that sounds better. I've yet to commit to PEP.

After working in DAWs for nearly 20 years, using analog monitoring and summing is just a lot easier and sounds a lot better (to me). It's also a lot less stressful for whatever reason, because I know it's always going to work and there isn't going to be any digital distortion in anyone's headphone mix. Everything is always routed/patched and I can literally go from tracking mode to mixing mode instantly (well, almost, I have to patch the outs of the HDIO to the ins of the BAEs).

This 3x split setup also allows me to combine all of my 14 BAE 1073s LIVE via Folcrom, while recording all the channels through JCF 1-14 and putting the Folcrom into DW Fearn --> JCF 15/16 for live 2 track capture. All while having my monitoring be completely separate. It's pretty awesome.

Also, if the mix of my 2 bus capture sounds great, all the tracks being captured individually give me a great starting point for a mix.

NOTE: I don't always do the live to 2 track thing, as I'm almost always using the Fearn for microphones -- or for a bus amp for combining multiple Snare and Kick tracks into one. Again, this setup allowing me to capture both the raw tracks and the bussed tracks.
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveway View Post
The JCF AD8 sounds awesome! Big, rich and 3D.
All in all, one of my fave purchases recently.
Agreed. I'm not even six months in. I don't own a LOT of gear, but all of the gear I own is top notch. I'd say DW Fearn VT-2 and JCF AD8 are a match made in heaven. It's honestly difficult for me to wrap my head around JUST HOW AMAZING TRACKS SOUND using this chain. It's just absolutely astounding. The bass definition is incredible. It's so low, yet so detailed.

I wish I had more hands so I could give the AD8 four thumbs up.
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Addict

Are you able to share a track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
Agreed. I'm not even six months in. I don't own a LOT of gear, but all of the gear I own is top notch. I'd say DW Fearn VT-2 and JCF AD8 are a match made in heaven. It's honestly difficult for me to wrap my head around JUST HOW AMAZING TRACKS SOUND using this chain. It's just absolutely astounding. The bass definition is incredible. It's so low, yet so detailed.

I wish I had more hands so I could give the AD8 four thumbs up.
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Addict

Kaizen | Alex Caminiti

It's not an amazing song, just the first thing I made with the new system. I played/recorded everything through DW Fearn VT2 --> AD8 --> HDIO Digital/HDX/PT11

Mixing: HDIO Outs 1-14 --> BAE 1073 Line In --> Folcrom --> VT2 --> AD8
15/16 monitoring

I have a bunch of full band material in the works, but nothing has actually been finished and released yet. It's all sounding crazy good. I hear so many more details of instruments/amps and my rooms... the AD8s -- everything else staying the same -- have really changed the way I am hearing and producing/mixing music. Plugins sound a million times better. They really change everything down the line. Everything needs less work.

Old 13th April 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Kaizen | Alex Caminiti

It's not an amazing song, just the first thing I made with the new system. I played/recorded everything through DW Fearn VT2 --> AD8 --> HDIO Digital/HDX/PT11

15/16 monitoring

I have a bunch of full band material in the works, but nothing has actually been finished and released yet. It's all sounding crazy good. I hear so many more details of instruments/amps and my rooms... the AD8s -- everything else staying the same -- have really changed the way I am hearing and producing/mixing music. Plugins sound a million times better. They really change everything down the line. Everything needs less work.

Sounds great man. We have a similar chain and similar thoughts. I had to buy a Zulu just to add some Lo-fi character to some of my tracks because they really sounded too good, larger than life or they needed to be “contained” in some way to sound like everything else out there with a great tube preamp into the JCF AD8. Especially the way multiple tracks sit together and the space seems so right. What a nice problem to have, eh? My AD8’s are probably the only gear I could never think of selling.
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieryan View Post
Sounds great man. We have a similar chain and similar thoughts. I had to buy a Zulu just to add some Lo-fi character to some of my tracks because they really sounded too good, larger than life or they needed to be “contained” in some way to sound like everything else out there with a great tube preamp into the JCF AD8. Especially the way multiple tracks sit together and the space seems so right. What a nice problem to have, eh? My AD8’s are probably the only gear I could never think of selling.
Thanks, Ryan! The soundstage and depth of AD8 tracks is definitely something to behold. The one plug that really blows my mind since I upgraded, however, is Devil Loc Deluxe. I always liked it and used it -- but I feel like all of the knobs behave differently with tracks converted through JCF. It's a harmonic monster.

"How can I make these amazing tracks sound worse" I know, right? Haha. It's lunacy. On their website Matt Hennessy is quoted as saying, "Using the JCF AD-8 is like fishing in a shallow pond with a keg of Dynamite." I could not say it better myself.

I'm nearing the end of a multi-year studio/house purge... so, at this point in time, I will never sell any of my gear, nor buy anything that isn't going to make my recordings *that* much better. Less in the chain pre-AD8 the better if you ask me. It's pure f-ing magic.
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Addict

Thank you, I enjoyed the great tones which the AD8s surely "ruined less" per their mantra.

OT: Personally, I wanted more from the drums on this track. What mics are you using on drums and are you using mics on acoustic or electric guitar?

Quote:
Kaizen | Alex Caminiti

15/16 monitoring

Old 14th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
Thank you, I enjoyed the great tones which the AD8s surely "ruined less" per their mantra.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
Personally, I wanted more from the drums on this track. What mics are you using on drums and are you using mics on acoustic or electric guitar?
Agreed. I would have loved to have a drummer play on this, but I actually had a deadline to submit this and I couldn't wait around for my drummer friends to do an infinitely better job at the drum tracks than me recording everything individually, chopping it up and making myself insane... and I didn't want to use an old sample of my music, when I had just gotten my new system.

Acoustic Gefell m300
Fender Bullet/Strat & Dirty Rhodes --> Budda SD30/Tone Tubby AKG 414B-ULS
HH m300
Snare 57/452EB on top and 58 on the bottom.
Kick is 414B-ULS & Beta 52
Rhodes Clean --> Vibrolux Gefell UMT70S
Technics Turntable --> Radial J33
Crazy robotic sound in the middle is an alto sax miked with a 58 into fearn, live out into little labs redeye reamp --> vintage EHX microsynth --> budda tone tubby 414B-ULS

Everything into Fearn except bottom snare.

I'll probably replace the drums with a real drummer this summer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search