The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lavry Mic Pres? Anyone?
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Lavry Mic Pres? Anyone?

I am saving up for a Lavry 4496 2-Ch A/D/A... should I consider adding a 2-Ch micpre to the unit for $900 more?? I have never heard the Lavry Pres...

Thanks

J.D.
Old 12th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice
I am saving up for a Lavry 4496 2-Ch A/D/A... should I consider adding a 2-Ch micpre to the unit for $900 more?? I have never heard the Lavry Pres...

Thanks

J.D.

They sound very detailed and clean, and especially if you already have a 4496 Lavry Blue rack enclosure, they are better than average bang for the buck IMO. Note that they'll fill up two spaces in the rack, so you can only have 2 A/D, 2 D/A and 2 ch of mic preamp in a 1u rack.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanx Nathan....
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

myself and a friend did a small shoot-out of some pres:

spectrasonics, hamptone, green and lavry

we were just having some fun. it was great to listen to the various flavors. i loved all of them for different uses. the greens were very mellow, the spectras had a huge bottom and lower mid thing going on, the lavrys (and i've owned them for a while) were fantastic. as nathan said, clean and detailed, and amazingly so. if i am tracking a guitar for instance and the sound in the room is what i want in the recording, i will reach for the lavrys first.

and again i agree with nathan, great bang for the buck too.
Old 12th May 2006
member no 666

If you're looking for something big and clear and open and distortion free... they're very much like a Millennia without the boring / slightly hard nature to the tone.

I like them quite a bit. What I really like is how you can have 2 channels of A/D 2 channels of pre and 2 channels of D/A all in 1 RU... that sound amazing!!
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I agree with the others positive comments regarding the pre. I own a Lavry rack w/ 2 A/D, 2 D/A, and 2 channels of their pre. It's pretty amazing that I can get all this in a 1U rack and have it be high quality. I've been impressed by the pre and do think it's well worth the money. The only thing I'm not sure that I love is the toggle switch gain control. It's great to be able recall levels but otherwise I prefer a regular knob. I like to ride levels when recording and find that I can't with the Lavry. That's really my only beef otherwise it's great. Check it out, I think you'll like it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search