The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Grey Face LA-2A or Thermionic Phoenix..whats the wise choice?
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Grey Face LA-2A or Thermionic Phoenix..whats the wise choice?

I currently have a drawmer 1968 and am looking for a comp. to add for vocals. I have the choice of either a grey faced la-2a or a phoenix for close to the same price (la-2a is a little cheaper). Is the la-2a over priced to the point where the phoenix will give me two channels of a great comp. compared to one or is the the LA-2a worth it?

-Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 12th May 2006
Moderator emeritus

Umm, have you LISTENED to either of your choices?

If so, which one do you prefer? If you haven't, why in the hell are you buying either one? For that matter, why are you limiting yourself to only those two boxes? There are other compressors in the same general price range that I would use over either the LA2A or the Phoenix - at least for most of the work I do...

The 'wise' choice, in my opinion, is to buy the tool that does the best job for you.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

They are different.
LA2A is something I personally don't dig so much as many geraslutzs and for task you mentioned I mostly use Tube Tech CL1B (clean and warm).
In same high quality division are Pendulum Audio, DW Fearn, Innertube Audio and some other compressors.
Phoenix is absolutely awesome compressor that shine on 2 buss (my favorite compared to anything available), but can actually be used on many other things or just to add 'magic' to everything that go through.
Maximum I would ever pay for any LA2A is around 2 k, that's what I value its sound, but well, some might think different.
Old 12th May 2006
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb10
Is the la-2a over priced to the point where the phoenix will give me two channels of a great comp. compared to one or is the the LA-2a worth it?
For my work the Phoenix is pretty much my "go to" box for compression for vocals when mixing. I absolutely love what it does with the 'air' on the top and how it holds a vocal solidly within a mix. An LA-2A is a great "one trick pony"... that trick is often an excellent trick... however, in the battle of the single channel $3,500+ compressors... in this reporter's opinion it can't even begin to lick the sweat off the ball sack of an RCA BA-6A [which is a Delta-Mu device... just like the Phoenix].

For my purposes, I have found the InnerTUBE Atomic Squeezebox to be a vastly superior tool in the same applications, the DW Fearn is no slouch, the Thermionic unit absolutely remarkable... and at the other end of the spectrum, the Crane Song STC-8 is one of those pieces I wouldn't want to live without.

Your mileage can and probably will vary... so with that thought of 'variable mileage depending on how you drive'... you might want to give both [all?] boxes a ride around the block to try to determine which one you'd like to adopt.

Me? I'd take the Phoenix 101 out of 100 times the question was raised... but what you do is your business... not mine.

Peace.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I have heard the La2a which I really liked except for the headroom...there was too much disortion for me once I got to -8-10db of gr. The phoenix I have not heard but will it give me the same type of compression with the right settings or is it impossible?
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb10
I have heard the La2a which I really liked except for the headroom...there was too much disortion for me once I got to -8-10db of gr. The phoenix I have not heard but will it give me the same type of compression with the right settings or is it impossible?
Same type is not a right expectation.
Phoenix will compress very nicely and with arguably less distortion, but if you're attracted by LA2A sound you should definitely audition both.
For me it was never question LA2A or Phoenix (after I heard it), but as I'm not big LA2A fan, my opinion can be biased.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Guru

2 different animals..
they each have their own special thing..
if you really want the sound and color of a nice original LA2A, then buy one.

I love them both..but one cannot replace the other.
you need to hear both for yourself before you make any decisions..
Thats a big purchase..So get do yourself a big favor,get some demos

Now if you put a gun to my head and I could only have one,I'd do the Phoenix...
...Mainly so I could use it not only for stereo tracking ,but the 2 buss as well..
which on certian material, is absolutely great!

..good luck
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

How much did you find the Phoenix for and home much is the LA-2A?
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I'm pretty sure I'll go with the phoenix after hearing it last night. It wasn't a head to head comparison but I now have a good idea of what the sonic differences are. I tried the phoenix on the 2buss for 3 or 4 songs and it sounded great - even better than when I put the 68' on. I did notice that people here dont always like it on the buss. After listening to it I really can't see when it would hurt the sound but someone who owns one would know better than me. On what material don't you guys like it on?

-Thanks,
Jeremy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search