The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Api 3124+
Old 12th May 2006
Here for the gear

Api 3124+

I am out putting the 3124+ into an O2R using a U-87.

If I set the gain on the API to get the "leds" moving, I overload the O2R and have to pad the input. The "unit" sounds great... I was just wondering (being old school and thinking I need to have the "led" at 50% or so. :-)

So...do the API "leds" need to be "jumpin" for optimal performance, or just leave it alone with the leds barely moving?

Thanks In Advance....

r.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

you're not going out of the 3124+ into the O2R's mic pre, are you? that would explain it. go into the line input of the mixer.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

True dat.

Also, the VU on the API is key to getting different personalities out of it.

When you really lay into it, it gets very nice. when you're at or below zero VU it's nice and thick, but pretty clean. When it comes to drums, I think you have to ignore the meter.
Old 12th May 2006
Here for the gear

I am going into an input (#9) of the O2r, with the level all the way counter clockwise.

If I see very little of the LEDS moving on the API, the signal is too hot for the input and I have to ingage the pad.

The unit sounds fine I was just concerned that getting optimal performace from the API required seeing the LEDs in action.

For the record.. when using a U-87 into one of the O2R's pres I get no overload, in fact I have to turn the input clockwise to get a good level. Also with an old Symetrics pre I get no overload.

Maybe is just an inherent factor of it?

Thanks
r./austin
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvwb
I am going into an input (#9) of the O2r, with the level all the way counter clockwise.

If I see very little of the LEDS moving on the API, the signal is too hot for the input and I have to ingage the pad.

The unit sounds fine I was just concerned that getting optimal performace from the API required seeing the LEDs in action.

For the record.. when using a U-87 into one of the O2R's pres I get no overload, in fact I have to turn the input clockwise to get a good level. Also with an old Symetrics pre I get no overload.

Maybe is just an inherent factor of it?

Thanks
r./austin
the question is wheter or not you are going into the mic input on the 02r or are you going into the line input ? if the line and mic connecter is one and the same then make sure that you have it switched to line input.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

You need to put inline pads on the preamp output of the API. Something like the ATTY or the Shure AS15AS work well. Leave the APIs input pad off and drive the API leds into the red for the best sound.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
You need to put inline pads on the preamp output of the API. Something like the ATTY or the Shure AS15AS work well. Leave the APIs input pad off and drive the API leds into the red for the best sound.
Exactly, but with respect to the Cob, I would not call it the BEST sound. Just different.

If you want clean, ultra high headroom pres, do not attenuate the output and run the gain at whatever level works best for your DAW.

If you want that lovely transformer saturated compressed sound for your drums/vox/guitars, then attenuate the output for DAW levels and jack the gain to a level you feel sounds best (I like it when the red is just blinking...about +18).

Good luck,
David
Old 12th May 2006
Here for the gear

I really appreciate all the responces however let me repeat one more time.

I am outputing (correctly) the API into an (appropriate) mic line in of an O2R using a U-87. If I adjust the gain on the API so as to get some l.e.d. movement, I have to pad the input of the O2R.

Being one that does not like to use a pad unless absolutely necessary it IS necessary to do so with adjusting the API gain to see "led" movement.

As mentioned above, there is no way I could get the API into the red without padding the input of the O2R them probably having to put a pollow on top of that, after we have the weenie roast... :-)

As I mentioned the unit sounds fine...I'm just wondering why the output is so hot into the O2r, or, maybe this is just the way it is susposed to be?

Thanks again!!!

ray/Austin, TX
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

All right. I think this is what you want to hear. The 3124+ has a terribly high output!
That's the main problem. So it's totally normal to press the pad on your 02R.

I had the same problems with my Tascam mixer until I recorded directly to my Soundscpape converters which allow +25dbu. I still have to press the pad from time to time. I've done some listening tests and don't think that's it's a problem to do so.

I'd just plug another hardware unit (for example a Distressor) in between to attenuate the level of the API.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
As I mentioned the unit sounds fine...I'm just wondering why the output is so hot into the O2r, or, maybe this is just the way it is susposed to be?
Yep, the APIs have a +31dbm output...that's the way they were designed...tons of headroom and lots of flexibility (using pads).

There is nothing wrong with using a pad like the ATTY or Shure AS15S. There will not be a sonic difference if it is a good pad ( as you have heard judging from your post.)

Or as TheSweetener mentioned...stick a distressor in there (but technically that is more circuitry in the audio path...which would probably still be inaudible).

Regards,
David
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
Leave the APIs input pad off and drive the API leds into the red for the best sound.
See, this is why I think I gotta get some GML's, 'cause I love API's but I don't usually love 'em in the red.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Nut

if u have a different converter try patching directly to it and going to tape bypassing the 02r----or try line inputs 17-24.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I adjust the gain on the API so as to get some l.e.d. movement, I have to pad the input of the O2R.
Screw the leds, use your ears.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

its a hot preamp. I did an A/B test with and without the pads engaged. Audio sounded the same. I just leave the pads on most of the time.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear
If you're using an API pre with a Yamaha O2R you should bypass the mic/line amp altogether and send an unbalanced line level signal from the API into the channel insert return on the O2r. This will cut the Yamaha's amp out of thel oop and give you a cleaner signal path.

I used an 02r like this for years with lots of outboard pres. If you really want to crank the API use a good outboard pad like the ATTY and you should be golden,

cheers,
Ruairi

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search