The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2 Bus S. Compressor for inner detail; not to slam it to hell Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Nut

2 Bus S. Compressor for inner detail; not to slam it to hell

Judging from reading here and some opinions by my colleagues a Manley Vari-Mu might be best for me? Doing soundtrack work I deliver at mix level; stuff really never gets close to 0db or risks being turned down.

This is going to be a partner for my Avalon 2055 which seems very cinematic.
Looking for wideness; details; low noise - transparant to warm.

Any other options besides a 3800$ box?

My best
ed
Old 24th February 2012
Hi,
Lots of folks buy our P3S andf P3S ME compressor for this reason.
About $1200 to $1700 less than a $3800 box...

Roger
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Addict

I think a technique you want to try for this purpose is a buss compressor in parallel. that way you can bring in more solidity while keeping you peaks.
Old 24th February 2012
Take a look at the A Designs Nail. It has built in parallel compression, built in sidechain, and seems to be exactly what you are describing.
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

SB4001 can do almost anything. wet/dry, variable release, a number of attack times and ratios and side chain filters. And 1100 bucks.
Old 24th February 2012
Pendulum Audio limiters (OCL-2, ES-8) are nice for that.
So are NTP 179-160 and Neumann U473a
My SPL Kultube can do that as well, though it's sound is a little "harder".
Also look at Buzz Audio gear.
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Old 24th February 2012
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
Judging from reading here and some opinions by my colleagues a Manley Vari-Mu might be best for me?
My experience has the Pendulum Audio ES-8 being a significantly more "Hi-Fi" version of a tube driven compression ["variable - mu" / "delta - mu" type compression] device... its a few hundred less expensive [Pendulum doesn't advertise anywhere] and in my experience, a better sounding unit.

As always... YMMV.

Peace
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

FCS P3S is great at this task.
Old 5th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
My experience has the Pendulum Audio ES-8 being a significantly more "Hi-Fi" version of a tube driven compression ["variable - mu" / "delta - mu" type compression] device... its a few hundred less expensive [Pendulum doesn't advertise anywhere] and in my experience, a better sounding unit.

As always... YMMV.

Peace
I chose it over the Gyraf (close), Phoenix (also close, but slightly more "smoky" by lack of a better word) the Anamod (beautiful color) and the Manley unit (not my cup of tea, thick), for that reason. The other ones were a little "thicker" in overall sound (due to the transformes used?). It's a personal preference though. With gear in this priceclass, it'd be strange to not listen to it in person, before making a descision. I'd love to hear a DW Fearn VT-7 in person, maybe in Frankfurt.
A mastering guy I know uses a Knif vary-µ type. If you want depth and transparency this is supposedly the very top. But I'm a mixer guy, and I'm happy with what I got. It's sweet and very hi-fi-ish yes.
It's on a sub bus because I don't like anything on the master bus.
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

I find the Daking FET II to sound huge but retain the transient detail. I do use them in parallel though.
Old 5th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Summit DCL-200 or TFPro P38EX are enough smooth compressors for reasonable price. P38EX is amazing unit for its money and completely underrated. I found all TFPro stuff (I have P38EX and P9EQ) one of the most transparent transformer's implementation in pro high-end gear with rich analog mojo being retained.
Also due its truly unlimited possibilities check Chandler Germanium Comp: it's kind coloring unit though but can produce very very soft response and be slamming as well in smart hands. But you need two of them for stereo application.
Old 5th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bars View Post
Summit DCL-200 or TFPro P38EX are enough smooth compressors for reasonable price. P38EX is amazing unit for its money and completely underrated. I found all TFPro stuff (I have P38EX and P9EQ) one of the most transparent transformer's implementation in pro high-end gear with rich analog mojo being retained.
Also due its truly unlimited possibilities check Chandler Germanium Comp: it's kind coloring unit though but can be very very soft in smart hands. But you need two of them for stereo application.
I typically like the Summit DCL200 on other stereo duties than the mix bus...

There's actually not that many compressors that I really love at this application. I guess that's why I've been using the same one for the last couple of years.
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

This is pretty much how I use the Pendulum OCL2. Slamming doesn't interest me, but detail does. It's a beautiful sounding box.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search