The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
new Mellotron for $5k ???
Old 4th September 2002
Lives for gear

new Mellotron for $5k ???

I just finished reading the review of the new version of the infamous Mellotron in the current SOS, and I'm baffled at how something with so many mechanical parts AND a decent amount of electronics AND a large, nicely finished enclosure can be manufactured and sold for $5,000?

When you compare this beast to other products that cost around the same amount, well..... I just don't see how they can offer this thing for this little money?

Just based on my minimal experiences with a handful of variations over the years, I would have bet that a new model made to original standards would have cost closer to $20k; am I totally out of my mind or does this just seem like an incredible bargain?

The mechanical keyboard assembly, a very complex multi track tape player, hell, they even include a VW sized shipping container, it just adds up to a much bigger number......

Can someone explain why I seem to be off by so much?

steve
[email protected]
Old 4th September 2002
Lives for gear

I dunno... I'm going to get the sample cd and skip the wonderful world of Mellotron maintenence. I can drive up the street and look at one but can't convince the owner to turn it on(it's original).
Old 4th September 2002
Lives for gear

We have the Mike Pinder mellotron cd . . . sounds pretty good. We had original mellotrons when I was doing Beatlemania in late 70s. Cd rom is easier to take care of.
Old 5th September 2002
Here for the gear

mellotron

I spent a night in LA a couple weeks ago hanging out with the guy who basically handles the service side of the new mellotron. Checked out some new tapes. Heard the new motor board(amazing). I did not hear one of the new machines but we played a number of his and one he was rebuilding and they were incredible. When I asked him the same price question, he shrugged his shoulders and told me that the swedish who started this whole thing is in it for the love and not the money. I guess he doesn't even really play them, he just loves the way they sound. I was very impressed.
-Dave
Old 5th September 2002
Lives for gear

For the love huh? Love costs money but I'm glad he's paying for it.

So the Pinder cd is worth it? Or are you gonna make me beg you to send me a copy.

"Romance without finance is a nuisance!"

Rudy Ray Moore

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search