The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best 8 Channel Mic Pre For under $2k?
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

Best 8 Channel Mic Pre For under $2k?

I know this could of gone in the low end theory but I figure you guys might be able to help me out.
I was eyeing the True Precision 8 which is a little bit over $2000.
Has anyone used one?
Anyone know of any other mid to high end 8 channel pres that are reasonably priced?
Thanks
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

Ive used the True P8 several times. the M/S matrix alone makes it worthwhile. not to mention, these are some of the cleanest, nicest pres around.
If you parted out the features of the P8, it should cost well over $3000...
it can get a little hot in a rack, but never was too much of an issue. you can also split the signal coming out of the unit.

if you can get one, DO IT.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

Sweet thanks for the feedback frontierfran
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

2 x Sytek mp4aii
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have and love the ATI 8 MX2 Preamp although I believe it is a little more than the True Audio. And no, this is not the cheasy ATI company that makes broadcast crap. This ATI is Audio Toys Inc. The company that owns API. These are the preamps from the famed ATI paragon console ) supposedly this is the most requested large frame live console on tech ryders for major tours). U2, Tom petty, etc. etc. I also use a 4 channel API often, and personally I prefer my ATI most of the time. I have used it on many jazz classical and rock/pop recordings both on location and in the studio. It also has a 2 bus with pan and return levels on all eight channels, variable threshold limiters on every channel and you can hook up the busses on more than one unit to expand. This is done with a 9 pin d sub and allows soloing and monitoring of gain reduction on the limiters as well on all channels. I have been told by a trusted sales friend that people who have bought both the true and the API from him prefer the ATI generally. It does have a very quiet built in fan which rarely is an issue, but keep it in mind. Obviously, the box has much packed in it's one rack space unit so it can get warm. Those who know, love this thing!

Cameron
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

Sweet I'll have to look into that.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Guru

i have rented the ATI's and now own 2 of them ... used for Lady Smith Black Mambazo recording a couple years ago ... very nice ...

john

every once in a while you see them used .. but watch out i will be bidding against you ...
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Presonus M80 (MP80?) in very nice for the price.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Nut

Audient ASP008... HUGE sound. To bad I am selling mine for more compression... .pissed
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Nut

Audient ASP008... HUGE sound. To bad I am selling mine for more compression... .pissed
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

+1 for the Audient ASP008, like it very mucho !!!
and it cheap
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Cant go wrong with the ATI 8MX2... Best bang for the buck hands down.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierfran
Ive used the True P8 several times............. these are some of the cleanest, nicest pres around..............
If you want the cleanest, nicest pres around those would probably the Millennia HV3D

about $4,500 for 8 ch

off topic, but I had to throw that in.

You (sometimes) get what you pay for.

Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

another vote for ATI 8MX2.
the mixing functions are handy for creating zero latency headphone mixes.
and those built-in limiters saved my ass a couple times.

i would have never sold mine if i wasn't up to my ears in preamps.
they can usually be found 2nd hand for under $2k
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

+1 for the Audient.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy
If you want the cleanest, nicest pres around those would probably the Millennia HV3D

about $4,500 for 8 ch
VERY Debatable. DAV BG-2 , two of them would be about 27-2800 and in my opinion, are every bit as clean as millennia....more pleasing to the ear too. I own HV-3c but dont use it anymore.

this horse has been beat to death, but there are plenty of comps with BG and Millennia here.

Had to throw that one out there since Millennia was mentioned.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

The Presonus M80 is the right price, but it's NOT the bee's knees. It has some nice features but won't compare to Class A like API, Neve, or Millenia. I own an M80 and like its feature set, but it's barely above a utility preamp in my book. I have used it for rock and jazz and been happy, but it's totally mid-line, like a Toyota: Don't expect Mercedes Benz quality, BMW handling, or Porsche precision.

I think the True Precision is in the same boat. It sounds OK, but it's NOT the top end, which is tough to find in this price range. Gotta bump the $$ higher to get to the top level. You really get what you pay for in this range.

YMMV- cheers,

JvB
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

another vote for 2 sytecks. haven't heard the others mentioned.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs
2 x Sytek mp4aii
concur.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

As someone who has owned the Sytek in the past. For my taste it's not in the same league as the ATI which is roughly in the $2000 price range you mentioned. Though I never tried the Burr Brown version of that preamp. We have upgraded our crappy TLA EQ with Burr Browns among other upgrades done to it, and it is now quite a nice EQ, so maybe this would help considerably. To me the Sytek was brittle, but I am lucky to have many other nice preamps available to use including Grace 801R, API, ATI, Focusrite, Millenia, Pendulum audio, Summit, Benchmark.
Cameron

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search