The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API 7600 or Lunchbox
Old 11th May 2006
Here for the gear

API 7600 or Lunchbox

Hi guys,

In fact my first goal was to add my Gas cooker a pair of high end compressor, but i made up my mind with getting good pres and comp (and maybe EQ later on)

So I am now about to buy API gear for versatile studio purposes (vocals, gtr, keys,strings, tracking,...).

Here s my point :

API 7600
Pros : Price (vs lunchbox with same modules) ,
Cons : no 500s modules (apart EQ) - Is there sonically a big difference ??

Lunchbox
Pros : Built as i need (and get the budget)
Better modules (again : Is there sonically a big difference ??)
Easy repair if one mod breaks down
Cons : Price (vs 7600)

Can anybody help ??

Thanks
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

It's a 212 mic preamp, a 225 compressor and a 550a EQ.

I don't know the real nitty gritty differences between the 212 and the 512c, but I think that's been discussed here somewhere. IIRC, the differences are not too great.

The 550a is a killer EQ that needs no introduction.

I own 525 compressors and have not formally compared them to 225's but have used the 225's and I like them.

I don't think there's any reason not to get the channel strip if you're planning on buying all the stuff at once anyway. I think it works out that the channel strip is exactly the price of a 212 + a 225 + a 550a, or at least really close. You'd have to get a rack if you didn't get the channel strip.

It's really close either way, I just prefer the flexibility of the lunchbox route. But I don't think you're gonna regret either purchase.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

FWIW, the 7600 has 3band EQ, lunchbox gives you the option to get 4 band (550B).
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM
FWIW, the 7600 has 3band EQ, lunchbox gives you the option to get 4 band (550B).
Of course, there's the conventional GS 'wisdom' that 550a's sound better (don't know myself).

And the 'a' are $500 more than the 'b', FWIW. I think I'd get the four band, too.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=max cooper]Of course, there's the conventional GS 'wisdom' that 550a's sound better (don't know myself).

QUOTE]

it's true heh
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Most places are offering a free lunchbox if you buy four modules. That will still cost you a little more than the 7600 but you'll get an extra pre (or a 560?) and you'll be able to expand easily down the line. I just picked up a Lunchbox with two 512c's, a 550b and a 560 (mainly for kick and snare)...I thought I'd be happy but those two empty spaces keep staring back at me and taunting me, so I may add a pair of 525's or maybe a couple Biz preamps.

-Duardo
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Since you used the word "versatility", my recommendation would be the lunchbox. You can fill it up with 312-Cs and do all your tracking. Then you can pull those out, and put 550's, A's and B's and/or 525's in and re-use it to mix. Sure it would cost a fortune for all those modules, but since its API, it will hold its value.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Think about it and you really can't go wrong with the Lunchbox. If you're ever not satisfied with the sound of a pre/eq in your lunch (can't see why as most of the stuff rocks), just look around for a new module and stick it in there.

More and more modules are being made for the Lunchbox as we talk, including Eqs and comps. There is so much to expand upon with this.

Lunchbox thumbsup

Are we making you hungry yet?
Old 13th May 2006
Here for the gear

Thanks for the help

Still, i am now considering the question from another point :

As i said (partially maybe) i run my U87 (old with regolden caps) into digi 002 via gas cooker pres (tube).

Would nt be nice to get the API A2D (2x 312 + A D convertors) and then a fews modules (550a - 525) within a lunchbox of course !! ??

Should i get rid of the gas cooker (of which i m quite satisfied as DI at least ....) ??

Another point is : i mix almost ITB (PTLE or Nuendo 2) but i like to get signal in/out through coloured gear (gas cooker again, Space Echo, phaser,...) instead of plugs that brings less (in my ears) that the hardware i own.
What do you think as a conversion point of view ???
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

Got both combos and they both kill.

The lunchboxes not being tidily racked pisses me off as often as its convenient portability, and it's evil power makes you buy loads more API modules. You will not resist filling all its little slots like the dirty gearslut you are.

Pros for the 7600 is only one rack space, is v versatile from the perspective of having line in/inst/mic pre, offers several routing options that are a p.i.t.a with the xlr in/out only on the back of the lunchbox. Loads of cool "you know..if you had a load of these I'd do all this sexy desk type stuff too - but you ain't that rich" fuuck functionality in case you win the lottery or go multiplatinum.

Both sound great !
Old 19th May 2006
Here for the gear

I just order the 7600 from Funky Junk France...
I hope this all in one box gonna rock the sound of my digi002 !

Wait n see.....

Joss

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search