The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ProTools Video Capability??
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192
concerning the mojo ... is there a codec that you can convert exsisting quicktimes to so they will run on the mojo ... hopefully you can do that in apples compressor that comes with FCP 5 ...

Doug,

i worked a remote this weekend that had 3 HD 24P cinealta cameras in an airpack / one HD 24P camera loose but jam synced to 23.98 code / one 35mm camera seeing 2 slates ... one running 30 frames for the film tramsfer (client wanted to see film only with sound right away, not waiting to get into Avid) and one slate for 29.97 NDF / and audio remote rig running at 29.97 NDF ...

interesting weekend ... if i can be of any help in the future let me know

the ISA pre is working great .. thanks again ...

john
that's a head spinner.....i guess you just cross your fingers that everything is going to work out in post; and if it doesn't you can blame their ingestion process any way.heh
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragedybysyntax
Correct me if I'm wrong but.. don't you have to have the DV toolkit which is a grand to do post work with video?

I'm trieng to figure this out myself... my brother is working on a movie which is going to a big film festival and he loves my music so... I've been looking to get video from him and score scene by scene with it... can anyone set me straight on this? I thought I had to go spend 750 on DV1 or 1k on DV toolkit 2, THANKS!!!
DV toolkit unlocks the PT LE timecode ruler, and the ability to spot things to timecode using full hour/min/sec/frames

it is theoretically possible to work with video without the DV toolkit... but you are sort of flying blind.....

If your movie file starts at exactly one hour, then you could set your session start time to be the even hour.... but it can get a bit frustrating - depending on what you are doing, and how you are working.....

Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy
DV toolkit unlocks the PT LE timecode ruler, and the ability to spot things to timecode using full hour/min/sec/frames

it is theoretically possible to work with video without the DV toolkit... but you are sort of flying blind.....

If your movie file starts at exactly one hour, then you could set your session start time to be the even hour.... but it can get a bit frustrating - depending on what you are doing, and how you are working.....

Im on ProTools HD 7.0 and have been wondering the same thing about video. Can I import a clip from my camcorder like in Premiere and edit it in proTools? What do I need to do that?

-S0nguy
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nguy
Im on ProTools HD 7.0 and have been wondering the same thing about video. Can I import a clip from my camcorder like in Premiere and edit it in proTools? What do I need to do that?

-S0nguy
No current version of ProTools can do any video editing.

There are many programs and hardware setups that can do video editing - some simple, some complicated.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot
Flip4Mac says it will do it.

Thank you! This is definitely going to help. I really appreciate it.

Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192
concerning the mojo ... is there a codec that you can convert exsisting quicktimes to so they will run on the mojo ... hopefully you can do that in apples compressor that comes with FCP 5 ...

john
I don't think FCP will convert anything to get you into mojo. We have a FCP rig and as far as I looked no dice. A standalone app called Avid Media Station is the ticket to convert other formats for mojo digestion. The mojo format is a flavor of an Avid codec. I don't think it was cheap. Avid/Digi gets ya by the balls again. or us in any case. Sorry if this veered off topic. Just trying to pass some info on.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

i read in harmony central news about new pro tools upgrade in the soon future to have video editing capabilities. which is no surprise, they are a son of a video editing company.
but lost the info on harmony central and didnt find it on the digidesign website.

it should happen in logic too in my opinion, damn man, how similar is the GUI of FCP and logic pro. insert the video track code from FCP and thats it, new video chanels that can be edited like audio. and for hardcore efects then go to FCP or AVID. i am only saying cut and rearrange stuff. FCP has all that **** about rendering and wierd file management it just gives me a headache. i rather do it in logic environment.
and pro tools comes up with video tracks that can be edited then even better.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

i read in harmony central news about new pro tools upgrade in the soon future to have video editing capabilities. which is no surprise, they are a son of a video editing company.
but lost the info on harmony central and didnt find it on the digidesign website.

it should happen in logic too in my opinion, damn man, how similar is the GUI of FCP and logic pro. insert the video track code from FCP and thats it, new video chanels that can be edited like audio. and for hardcore efects then go to FCP or AVID. i am only saying cut and rearrange stuff. FCP has all that **** about rendering and wierd file management it just gives me a headache. i rather do it in logic environment.
and if pro tools comes up with video tracks that can be edited and wont charge 500 bucks to have LE use timecode and import omf files then, even better
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahluk
I don't think FCP will convert anything to get you into mojo. We have a FCP rig and as far as I looked no dice. A standalone app called Avid Media Station is the ticket to convert other formats for mojo digestion. The mojo format is a flavor of an Avid codec. I don't think it was cheap. Avid/Digi gets ya by the balls again. or us in any case. Sorry if this veered off topic. Just trying to pass some info on.
The only files that will output on a mojo are .mxf.
Avid Express and Media Station will both convert your Quicktime movies for this. You can not use embedded video or audio in .OMF or .AAF files either. The files have to be referenced.
Sony Vegas will convert wmv or avi to Quicktime. This is how I got around before I got Avid Media Composer. Also, a word of warning. Do NOT put Avid Express or Media Composer on your Pro Tools rig. They both use Audiosuite plugs and the same DAE and video engine.. and they differ slightly. Bad News!

Regards,
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

I still say:

use quicktime files

use a Canopus ADVC-110

all industry standard

done and done

YMMV

Old 6th June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy
I still say:

use quicktime files

use a Canopus ADVC-110

all industry standard

done and done

YMMV

Does the CANOPUS take the video processing load off of the CPU? I was thinking about using g4 that's been sitting around the studio and buying that VIRTUAL VTR program. What's the best way to get the video playback load OFF of your CPU? Anyone have any experience with the Virtual VTR program?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search