The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Groove Tubes Vipre or Neve 1073 DPD with Sony c800g Condenser Microphones
Old 21st February 2012
Gear Addict

Groove Tubes Vipre or Neve 1073 DPD with Sony c800g

O.k - I've got a Sony c800g and now a CL1B with a Neve 1073 dpd but I've been offered a Vipre - What's peoples thoughts on this pre and how is itcompared to the Neve 1073 dpd - Anyone tried it with a Sony C800g ?
Also any comments on the Groove Tubes Glory Comp ?
Thanks
Karl
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear
Karl -

I just sent you that Quad Eight sample you requested. Why don't you post a short clip of your vocal and then folks can make a better recommendation. The Vipre is almost unserviceable and I wouldn't choose it over the DPD. The only slight drawback of the DPD (I own one) is that the mids are full-force and can be less than "tasty". That Quad Eight might be right up your alley. I know a guy with some raw modules if you're interested.

Phil
Old 21st February 2012
Gear Addict

So apart from my good friend Chris as no one else tried a Vipre out on a Sony c800g ?
kj
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by karljohnson View Post
So apart from my good friend Chris as no one else tried a Vipre out on a Sony c800g ?
kj
Look up Ken Lewis here. He hangs out on the Hip Hop forum and has done work for John Legend, Kanye, etc. He mentions using the Vipre alot, I know he'a fond of it.
Old 22nd February 2012
7+1
Lives for gear

the vipre and the 1073 are really two different animals...

the GT is a pretty darn good high end TUBE pre. clean and very big sounding.. The draw back is that it has a sad history of breaking down.

if you can get one at a great price and have schems to fix if needed.. try it...

the 1073 is a classic.. even the reissues sound great.. its more of a MID forward thrusting sound pre.. (if that makes sense)

i agree with the others.. if you can post samples of both youll get a much better response..

Best of Luck!
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.rOk.stA View Post
Look up Ken Lewis here. He hangs out on the Hip Hop forum and has done work for John Legend, Kanye, etc. He mentions using the Vipre alot, I know he'a fond of it.
Yes, my vocal chain is a Sony C800G - Groove Tubes Vipre - Thermionic Culture "The Phoenix" - (if i need EQ the GML 2032) - Apogee A/D's. sounds absolutely great. the biggest most 3D sound i've ever had.

I like the Neve 1073 as well.

Honestly, possibly the biggest consideration, at least for some, the Vipre is 3 rack spaces for a mono mic pre and has 8 tubes. The 1073 takes up much less real estate. I imagine at some point in my life the Vipre tubes are gonna get noisy and that wont be a cheap repair. Hopefully it wont break down otherwise. So far so good on the reliability.
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear Addict

Cheers - sowhat your saying is have both ?lol
Kj
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Of course this is somewhat of a different animal, but I use a Vipre with a VM1 for many things. Sounds great! I've had the Vipre for a long time, never had any issues, nor do I agree that it's "almost unserviceable", though obviously it 'could' be an issue. It is a completely different animal then the Neve.
Old 8th May 2012
Gear Head

Groove Tube Vipre on the BLINK!...AGAIN!

Hey Guys,
I've owned a Vipre since it's release. I love the sound of it for pretty much everything I've thrown at it! However, in 2005 I had to return it to Groove Tubes for service because I had terrible humming and distortion when the 5db Gain control was set at 50db. It was only happening at 50db and later on all settings. I contacted GT for a RMA. The only way they would take it was for me to ship it overnight from Michigan to California and also I had to pay for overnight back to me. They replaced all the tubes and a bad capacitor and updated it to the newest Vipre specs. The total repair was $79 but the shipping costs brought the total to about $300. Well, after finishing 3 record projects last year, it is now on the BLINK again. The same humming and distortion at 50db has returned and is now moving to the other settings. So, I'm thinking I might have it repaired by a tech since I found the schematics here on GS and sell it since I can't locate an authorized repair center for it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Randy
Old 9th May 2012
Gear Head

Fixed my Groove Tubes Vipre Buzzing and Humming Problem!

Hello Everyone,
I decided after much research on Vipre hum, buzz, and distortion problems to try to analyze and fix it myself. I pullled the top cover and observed the stacked attenuators for the 5db Gain Control and the 1db Gain Control. I saw that at 50db and 55db settings that the tabs weren't contacting tightly. I took a O-Ring puller tool that I own, which really is a glorified tool that your Dental Hygienist uses to clean your teeth.
1) I bent the tabs down gently on each layer of the attenuator so they contacted tightly.
2) I sprayed all the contacts on the 5db Gain attenuator and the 1db Gain Attenuator with "DeoxIT Contatct Rejuvenator" and rotated the knob several times then let stand for 2 minutes as the instructions say to do.
3) I sprayed all the contacts on the 5db Gain attenuator and the 1db Gain Attenuator with "DeoxIT Contatct Conditioner/Protector" and rotated the knob several times then let stand for 2 minutes as the instructions say to do.

I reconnected all of the cables and powered it up and now it works as if it were brand new. So, before you take it to a tech, go to your local electronic store (Radio Shack etc.) or even Guitar Center if you're in the USA and get the DeoxIT Cleaner, Enhancer, and Protector Kit and do the above and you probably will solve your problem if it is humming, buzzing, and distorted.

Randy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search