The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elysia Xpressor Vs. TK Audio BC-1 MKII
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Elysia Xpressor Vs. TK Audio BC-1 MKII

Hi!

Has anyone A/Bed those two units??

I want a compressor just to run my mixes thru it, not for tracking.

I mainly produce EDM and Ambient/Chill Out stuff using only synths.

I've narrowed my decisions to those 2 units, just don't know wich one to buy and I can't test them.

Can someone tell me their pros and cons? (comparing to each other only)

Thx a lot!!!
Old 21st February 2012
Here for the gear

I just ordered the xpressor..
You can order it directly on the website. Free shipping and no VAT.
Really good service

just a tip
Old 21st February 2012
The TK BC1 mk2 has a smoothing effect, that sounds "glassy" to me. It has a "polished" kind of compression action when you get the material to sit perfectly. Maybe I would say it sounds fluid. It adds great cohesion/gel without messing with the content much. Its not really a box you go to, to get harmonic distortion or overt tonal shaping, [smash and grab stuff] and I would say the compression is always very clean and clear.
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtronic View Post
I just ordered the xpressor..
You can order it directly on the website. Free shipping and no VAT.
Really good service

just a tip
Hi mate,

I'm happy for your purchase, but it really doesn't answer my question...

I think people are not in the mood of helping today...

After more research, I just discovered that there's a FET compressor from Overstayer wich seems to be really good according to the slutz here... And only US$629 for a variable release moded version. They also got a sterero VCA compressor version... Decisions decisions.
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
The TK BC1 mk2 has a smoothing effect, that sounds "glassy" to me. It has a "polished" kind of compression action when you get the material to sit perfectly. Maybe I would say it sounds fluid. It adds great cohesion/gel without messing with the content much. Its not really a box you go to, to get harmonic distortion or overt tonal shaping, [smash and grab stuff] and I would say the compression is always very clean and clear.

Thx for helping, Roc.

That sounds really good, I'm aiming for the "glue" and transparency attribute... Don't wanna add color. Are you familiar with the Overstayer compressors?? Have tested them? Can you compare with the TK and Elysia unit?

I'm waiting for a response for a deal on a Rolls RMS755, wich seems to be a step up from those units, but I don't know if it's really suitable for electronic music.
Old 21st February 2012
Jai guru deva om

We have both the TK Audio BC1 and elysia xpressor in our Clipalator for full audio and video demos of both on lots of sources, including stereo mix.

Both are good and squarely in the more "clean" camp, the elysia is somewhat jiggier with the "warm" option (which is a noticeable smoothing, softening effect when desired) and the "GRL" circuit is interesting in that you can limit how much compression occurs no matter what, which lets you play with very in depth threshold reference for example.

The TK is also very good, and suited to 2-buss stuff as far as sound & action, in more of a no fuss kind of way and all the basic features (and then some, like blend and sidechain EQ, which the elysia has as well).

That is a very, very general overview of both of them.

War
Old 22nd February 2012
Here for the gear

I know I didn't answer your question, but it can have a big influence on your final decision.

I also did a big research on the Xpressor, Overstayer VCA and TK BC1...
For what I learned: all 3 compressors are used on the 2-buss and they are all really good comps.

I chose for the xpressor because of the free shipping+noVAT deal
AND it has a slightly bigger advantage with his extra functions.

Overstayer is "cheap", but you have to import it if you don't live in USA. (douane costs..)

just my 2cents
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointsource View Post
I'm waiting for a response for a deal on a Rolls RMS755, wich seems to be a step up from those units, but I don't know if it's really suitable for electronic music.
See what these guys have to say:

Pendulum
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Hi - I have the xpressor and the original BC-1. For trance, electronic music you may get more mileage from the expressor due its features (highly variable side chain filter, gain reduction limiter, super flexible ratios and mix knob).

That said, the original BC-1 is EASY to use and get a great sound, has a fixed HPF and blend control as well. I use the BC-1 on drums and the xpressor on keyboards pretty regularly, although I change it up sometimes...I am not sure what new features the BC-1 mkII has but I doubt you will go wrong either way.
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

We have both of them at the studio.

The XPressor is more flexible, mucho mroe tweaks to work with (GRL, Warm, Negative ratios etc), but I prefer the BC1. Easier and faster to get a sound. It also sounds less clean to my ears, the Xpressor is very very clean compression even when the meter is buried to limits (except if you turn the warm mode on).

In fact we're selling the XPressor, not because we don't like it but just need a few EQs in API500 format and hence need those two (almost) unused spaces.
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

Bump. Very interested in pulling the trigger on either of these very soon.

TK seems like the best choice on the mix buss, but what's it like for tracking?

The xpressor seems to be a bit more versatile for both jobs.

Thoughts?
Old 11th March 2012
Here for the gear

I bought the Xpressor..
Really happy with it.
Amazing features I never worked with before...
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Addict

The BC-1 is a great compressor for tracking. Its on the fast/FET side of things. Not a slow tubey sound at all. I guess that's obvious... Anyhow, I've used it tracking vocals with much success, also drum overheads.

-Ashley
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Addict

Anyone have anymore thoughts on these two?

It seems like the new version of TK Audio BC-1 has stepped controls and is now more expensive, making it closer in price to the Xpressor.
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Addict

Mine is an early custom one with detented controls. At that time, it was not terribly more expensive to get.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have a BC1 Mk1 and an xpressor. They always find different uses here. The BC1 is mostly on groups for it´s blend/parallel comp feature. It does the SSL mixbuss compressor thing but can be a bit less obvious/aggressive.
The feature I like most on the xpressor is the warm mode. It pulls aggressive signals which want to be upfront back into the mix or even further in the background.
Both are great compressors. The obvious gearslutz advice is to get both.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

I would get the Xpressor. It can do the SSL thing and more.
Or get both. Frankly you can never have enough VCA compression unless you have an SSL desk.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Anyone tried the mastering version of this compressor? (The TK I mean.) I made a thread about it...I really like the layout and the features...and the little clips of that Zen Pro has up.
Old 15th October 2013
Jai guru deva om

Just FYI the model is now the TK Audio BC1-S (for switchable I guess!).

Concerning the mastering BC2 it brings the Carnhill output section (very nice weight) which is intended to add a "Neve" flavor to an SSL compressor. Also, the switches and parts used are higher end, etc.

War
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Just FYI the model is now the TK Audio BC1-S (for switchable I guess!).

Concerning the mastering BC2 it brings the Carnhill output section (very nice weight) which is intended to add a "Neve" flavor to an SSL compressor. Also, the switches and parts used are higher end, etc.

War
The clips are just...GREAT...I don't know what it is...but I'm really familiar with your sound library on the clipulator...and there was something BIG about it. Widescreen.
Old 15th October 2013
Jai guru deva om

Agreed, it is a very obvious bit of "transformer goodness" and a stand out for sure.

War
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann View Post
The feature I like most on the xpressor is the warm mode. It pulls aggressive signals which want to be upfront back into the mix or even further in the background.
Definitely YES!
Warm mode is my favourite feature as well.
It's giving the transparent xpressor a kinda solid sound.
I like it a lot.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search