The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Little Labs IBP necessary?
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Little Labs IBP necessary?

After following the Skip row thread I recorded drums using my sm91 and subkick (just got the subkick and haven't even really thought about using the sm91). Sounds pretty solid phase wise and can line it up after it's recorded in my DAW. Soooo, is an IBP really needed if you're using separate tracks like this? Is the benefit of the device more when combining 2 mics to one track during the tracking process? Just curious. Thanks.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Well how do you know it sounds pretty solid phase wise until you've had a chance to sweep the phase?

The IBP lets you sweep the phase to anywhere, not just flip it 180 degrees, etc.

It also is a great DI and reamping box (if you get the full featured one), or you can just get the IBP Jr which is phase correction only. It's a great tool to use at any studio, especially anytime you have two mics up on the same source.

I saw firsthand at Wagener's during a workshop how much it can be put great use, and altough I already had one, I decided to get a second one just in case I never need to use two!

You can fuss around all day trying to adjust the mics or time align the tracks, or, just the magic box in and spin the dial until it sounds great, and there you are.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks Mark. So, in the case of the kick drum would I connect it to the sm91 that's inside the kick since it's seeing the source first? I assume that by changing the phase I'm delaying the signal, is that correct? Thanks .
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey boy
Thanks Mark. So, in the case of the kick drum would I connect it to the sm91 that's inside the kick since it's seeing the source first? I assume that by changing the phase I'm delaying the signal, is that correct? Thanks .
Yep. I always put it on the mic closest to the kick.

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I assume that by changing the phase I'm delaying the signal, is that correct? Thanks .
No, not exactly. It's just not that simple. Check out the IBP manual for an eloquent explanation from the man himself.

And if you get a chance, demo one...

Cheers,
john
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey John,
Just thought I'd say hey. Used to see you back when you lived with Joe B. Was friends with him and Bruce J. This was way back about 15 years ago in Van Nuys. I now run a small studio in Woodland Hills, mostly doing producing. Thanks for the info on the IBP. Would you sum both mics to one track or still keep them them separated for mixing purposes?
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
I assume that by changing the phase I'm delaying the signal, is that correct? Thanks .
NO it is not correct.
TIME alignment is not PHASE alignment!
you can´t change the phase by time aligning the file in your DAW!!!
the way you want to do it, can only be done with an IBP.
I´m about to get a subkick and a IBP, too.

By the way, how many IBPs do you guys use all at once when tracking drums?
Old 11th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi Rauscher
By the way, how many IBPs do you guys use all at once when tracking drums?
None.
Had one. Didn't find it useful.
Ask Hud Hudson. he bought mine. Maybe he finds it indespensable. I found it to be an internet buzz that didn't fly for me.
Old 11th May 2006
The IBP has saved some piano recordings of mine with phase issues that I was unable to correct by simply shuffling tracks.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey John,
Just thought I'd say hey. Used to see you back when you lived with Joe B. Was friends with him and Bruce J. This was way back about 15 years ago in Van Nuys. I now run a small studio in Woodland Hills, mostly doing producing. Thanks for the info on the IBP. Would you sum both mics to one track or still keep them them separated for mixing purposes?
Hey-- nice to make your acquaintance again. Yeah, Bruce and I were room mates for a couple of years. Still see him from time to time.

As far as the summing question, I think it really depends on how much you want to re-balance things later on. I personally have no problem making the decision to combine mics, so i just work until I get a sound I'm happy with and commit. I prefer making the decisions as I go, instead of waiting till the end. i usually use 2 mics on a kick, and up to 3 on a snare for tracking. I think I've done separate kick and snare mics one time in the last ten years -- at the request of a producer. Otherwise, it's one track for each. Same with guitar micing as well for me.

Cheers,
John
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton
None.
Had one. Didn't find it useful.
Ask Hud Hudson. he bought mine. Maybe he finds it indespensable. I found it to be an internet buzz that didn't fly for me.
That seems to be the case with this particular box. Some folks find it useful, some don't...

JP
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

My favorite use for it is bass di and miced cab...
Old 11th May 2006
High End Moderator

The great thing (amongst many) about the IBP is that you can sit in your control room and totally adjust the type and amount of low end for your kick drum or bass. Adjusting the timing of the tracks sometimes works for instruments with mostly low end content, but for guitars it doesn't seem to do the right thing for me. The IBP is the way to go, and you get a reamp box as a bonus.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener
The great thing (amongst many) about the IBP is that you can sit in your control room and totally adjust the type and amount of low end for your kick drum or bass. Adjusting the timing of the tracks sometimes works for instruments with mostly low end content, but for guitars it doesn't seem to do the right thing for me. The IBP is the way to go, and you get a reamp box as a bonus.

Yup. I agree with this completely... and I am so glad to hear you say that Michael! I thought I was loosing my mind there for a while. I originally bought mine to use with guitars... but I could never get it quite like I wanted it. Ended up going back to adjusting phase on multiple guitar amp mics by changing mic positions.

For Bass guitar, and Kick drum though.... Yeeehaaaa!!!! DEFINITELY the right thing! I use it all the time for re-amping too. Love my IBP!!!
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Do you guys figure you only need one of these boxes? The only reason I could imagine needing two would be if you'd need one for overheads too ... but overheads are kind of different than recording ONE drum (ie. kick) with two mics, isn't it?

Then again, if you've got two mics on the snare you'd need one for that too?

There's always something more that we "need".
Old 11th May 2006
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray
Do you guys figure you only need one of these boxes? The only reason I could imagine needing two would be if you'd need one for overheads too ... but overheads are kind of different than recording ONE drum (ie. kick) with two mics, isn't it?

Then again, if you've got two mics on the snare you'd need one for that too?

There's always something more that we "need".
I use it on kick and the two snare mics when tracking drums and then on bass di when tracking bass then on guitars. If you track all those at the same time you'll need at least 4 of them. They make a nice rackmount kit that fits four
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Awww shucks Mr. Wagener, God knows I'm going to have follow that lead now. I always come out of here buying twice as many of something as I thought I would.
Old 11th May 2006
High End Moderator

Quote:
Awww shucks Mr. Wagener, God knows I'm going to have follow that lead now. I always come out of here buying twice as many of something as I thought I would.
Same story here, isn't it great
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you guys figure you only need one of these boxes?
I've got three...

JP

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search