The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Portico vs Fatso vs Hedd = best hardware tape emulation
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Portico vs Fatso vs Hedd = best hardware tape emulation

Which one of these works best for the 2 buss?

Is there any plugins that compare?
Old 10th May 2006
The annoying thing about all this stuff is.... you really need / want ALL of it..

The ****** vs ****** format for threads has grown to annoy people here..

So get your flame suit on!
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

nothing emulates tape at all. But I have at one point owned all of these and the HEDD is great b/c it is a top notch converter first of all and the emulations make a hugh difference! Is it exactally like tape? NO! But it does add something to the mix. This is what we use out of our SSL and I make 3 different mixes with 3 different settings on the HEDD.

The Fatso is a nice compressor for the mix buss although I think there are way better out there. The warmth feature is like shaving the Highs off, and the tracking compressors are just ok.

The Portico is kind of a one trick deal. Thats why I dont like it. At least the HEDD is your complete front end for 2 ch converters, the Fatso is a nice compressor, but the portico is just boring.

For plug ins the Phoenix does the job, not as well as the HEDD but it does ok. I am not a hugh fan of their plugs but some are. I actually use the SMACK plug in for tape but to me the SMACK is like a software distressor!

The hardware units all run in the same area of $$$.... the porticos are a little cheaper but the HEDD is about a Fatso if used.

I suggest the HEDD!
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
The annoying thing about all this stuff is.... you really need / want ALL of it..

The ****** vs ****** format for threads has grown to annoy people here..

So get your flame suit on!

You posted while I was.....

Its true, get them all if you can, they are all diferent!
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217
The Portico is kind of a one trick deal. Thats why I dont like it. At least the HEDD is your complete front end for 2 ch converters, the Fatso is a nice compressor, but the portico is just boring.
Well the portico is half the price of the HEDD and 2/3 price of the Fatso and sounds amazing. Plus you get Rupert Neve designed amplifer circuitry that sounds amazing even with the tape off. You can buy a compressor or two sweet channels of high quality digital conversion for the remaining $1300 to $1500.

I like the HEDD as well.

The Fatso doesn't do it for me . . . hard to explain but it muddies up my tracks where the other two glue together the mix and accentuate subtly the bass in a familiar analog sounding way.

The creator of this thread wants to know what the best sounding hardware tape saturation sound is. There are three on the market. Fair question if not slightly futile until he listens himself.

I like the portico a lot. It sounds amazing. It won't sing me a song or dance with me or play video games with me.

In other words the portico is boring unless you like a great sounding tape satration unit.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

I should mention that I don't dig tape, so it can be slightly OT (maybe just too lazy for that), but I can still reach very pleasant sound with careful use of components in chain (yes that could be very time consuming and costly variant).
Didn't try HEDD (I don'tlike the idea of all that digital saturation), but Portico and FATSO only.
In the beginning I liked Portico, but after couple of months I came to conclusion that both don't work for me at all. On 2 buss I'm not happy to generate that kind of (well) distortion. On some tracks, I push signal better via tube&tranny outboards (to make them more analogue-like), so at the end I'm quite sastisfied with sound. To make things softer and duller has no point with such approach.
To add such boxes directly to signal from DAW can have more sense, but it actually never brought me to acceptable results.
I firmly don't believe that one tape (or whatever) emulation box can be a substitute to equipment and skills during the path to final mix.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

The one thing I really don't like about the Fatso is that you can't turn off the saturation to use just the compressor, warmth or trany.
Is there a Fatso mod to turn saturation off when you don't want it?

Lives for gear

You should download the Cranesong Phoenix plugin and check it out. I like it better than tape.

-R
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Guru

I had the Portico one here for a bit and [have the Phoenix plug too which is cool for certian things]

It was interesting but not as cool as real tape..sent it back

I also have a really nice 3m half inch machine.luckily got it for free.. sounds great..cost $250 in tech fees/parts to upgrade some opamps, clean it.. and generally get it it up to spec..works thumbsup
When i print to tape ,I also go to digital[Lavry's to PT] as well
..sometimes the digital wins..depends on the material.
good decks are getting cheaper..just another option to condsider..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search